Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

eg: you can have 300hp and 140 ft/lb of torque

or, 300hp 400 ft/lb or torque eg: 350 chev

thus why hp ratings dont mean a thing as per mentioned about clutches

Not arguing, just stating, wasn't my idea.

Not arguing, just stating, wasn't my idea.

theres nothing wrong with what you said and many people think the same i get it daily with customers even with turbos they seem to think are rated at the wheels F1 turbos barely had enough torque to get out the pit gate until the turbo turned on and made 500 odd ft/lb but still topped over 1000hp, audi lemans diesels made 600hp but had sooo much torque they had to be run though a splitter box before it went to the gearbox to reduce torque as they couldnt build a gearbox that could handle it.

people like quaife rate all there boxes by torque input

theres nothing wrong with what you said and many people think the same i get it daily with customers even with turbos they seem to think are rated at the wheels F1 turbos barely had enough torque to get out the pit gate until the turbo turned on and made 500 odd ft/lb but still topped over 1000hp, audi lemans diesels made 600hp but had sooo much torque they had to be run though a splitter box before it went to the gearbox to reduce torque as they couldnt build a gearbox that could handle it.

people like quaife rate all there boxes by torque input

wow cool.

What do you think looks better, Facelift or pre facelift front grill on the e36?

I like the pre-facelift ones as I think they make E36 look slightly tougher, but I could be biased as I have an earlier version of E36...

Yes im thinking pfl grille is a bit nicer it doesnt look so sticky outy , plus its a lil bit bigger for air flow too..

More great news, I got my Manifold back the faces now have been done and the holes and ports aligned. it took abit of work but we got there in the end haha

I will be installing the engine and everything in the car saturday as there is V8 racing on sunday which im looking forward to.. just hope i can get it all done in time. will post nicer pics when i get a chance., :D

So basically i now got to make sure everything fits in the car then pull it all out again and send it off to get coated... i should have recorded all the hours i spent on this car haha. <_<

post-2228-1349336245.jpg

post-2228-1349336271.jpg

Yeah pre-face lift E36 grille for sure.

I went through the phase of wanting a facelift one, but then realised they look a bit cheap & are of a more E46 style that doesn't look quite right on the more square E36

Edit: wow, those exhaust manifolds look insane! Great work!!

Edited by Michael.

Yeah pre-face lift E36 grille for sure.

I went through the phase of wanting a facelift one, but then realised they look a bit cheap & are of a more E46 style that doesn't look quite right on the more square E36

Edit: wow, those exhaust manifolds look insane! Great work!!

Yeah exactly and hell yeah they look insane haha :wacko:

So had a look at my gearbox, it says on the side of it 220..

I dont think the gearbox is a huge worry unless you are being brutal on it.

OK so we had the most busiest day at work today ended up working an extra couple of hours, must be the sunny weather aye, seems to bring customers out and spend money. Which is good thing.

but also gave me a couple of less hours to work on my car.

I did however manage to put my engine in and fit 18" bbs wheels, ive decided to spend the 1200 and buy one in from the states to complete the set, i mean they have an i phone dish on them, now thats mean... :D

Once i raised the RH engine mount up 5mm the manifold fits with about 5mm clearance at every point, so now that is it all in, i can make the intercooler bracket, run the oil feed, water,fuel and vac lines then take it to an exhaust shop to complete the exhaust system.

I bled up the clutch with a mate and watching the rubber hose expand and shrink and it was engaged, thinking im going to need a braided line here also, the pedal is disengaging 20mm before the floor at the moment but i think this will change with a new line. pedal feels nice and takes a lil bit of effort, I cant see it being any fun in heavy traffic though lol

I found an water cooler and an oil cooler off an audi allroad, both the same size as a e36 kidney grille, not to sure what i can hook them up too yet they will sit behind the front grilles, also the trans cooler in the radiator needs to cool something as well i guess. thinking ill use the left and right lower bumper vents will be for the cooling ducts for the brakes.

post-2228-1349513284.jpg

post-2228-1349513309.jpg

post-2228-1349513319.jpg

post-2228-1349513334.jpg

post-2228-1349513357.jpg

post-2228-1349513378.jpg

post-2228-1349513389.jpg

post-2228-1349513443.jpg

post-2228-1349513455.jpg

post-2228-1349513463.jpg

post-2228-1308050661.jpg

This is the beast haha 2.5 stroker to 2.8L M20 light flywheel m50 intake and double valve spring ported head m52 exhaust manifold...etc

post-2228-1308051201.jpg

I need help :blink: does anyone know where to get a larger outer crank pulley (6pk pref) for my m50b28 to speed up my SC14 blower before i install it, maybe somebody might know if there is a larger one on a different car that will fit or can be modded to fit, any help would be much appreciated.... :unsure:

Damn this is badass!

Engine looks great sitting in place, nothing is going to touch when the engine is revved?

Engine looks great sitting in place, nothing is going to touch when the engine is revved?

I will have to make some solid mounts for the engine. Guess ill find out when i rev it, cant wait for that day haha

OK so today i fitted the M sport gear shifter and drive shaft with a new rubber donut, also changed the oil in the engine and gearbox, using 5w30 castrol edge titanium, and 75w 90 in the box.

I also made up a heat shield for the coils, was thinking ill place 1 layer of exhaust rap under the plate at the side closest to the exhaust.

At work we just got a nice new boc mig welder so im thinking im going to make the 3" exhaust system myself, well give it ago anyway. Im thinking twin pipe tips and 3" to them?

And check this out my work mate is building a racing simulator in the bottom pic. its looking good..

post-2228-1350109232.jpg

post-2228-1350109246.jpg

post-2228-1350109258.jpg

post-2228-1350109269.jpg

dumb question but tell me your not running that fiber glassed throttle glued in setup