Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30 Cabrio Restoration

Over the coming months I am going to be restoring my E30 325i Cabrio to its former glory so its time I start a project thread. I plan to:

• Rebuild the M20B25 motor as it currently has bent valves
  • Fit a new roof as the current one in destroyed
  • Fit new windows as it has none.
  • Reupholster the interior and fit carpets as its destroyed
  • Convert it to manual
  • Repair the front valence and rear bumper
  • Widen my two other BBS RS wheels
  • Fit lower front springs

and the list goes on and on, its going to be a busy few months. Are people keen for me to do writeups or just post quick updates?

post-3670-1329980038.jpg

Edited by Jamez

Very nice project.

I gather this is what the 540i is making way for?

Nah, was a complete impulse buy. I am still undecided about parting with the 540i as its such a nice car to drive.

nice project.

heard about this one when it was up for sale.

sad story why it eneded up in this way.

have one brand new rear quarter glass for it if needed.

good luck with the project

Nah, was a complete impulse buy. I am still undecided about parting with the 540i as its such a nice car to drive.

Gahh, I've been tempted to check it out, but I know I'l fall into that compulsive buying mode like I did with my last 540i if I have a look! :rolleyes:

I keep reminding myself one project car is enough at the moment!! \

Maybe your 540i is just worth hanging onto for a bit longer, I'd imagine it will easily sell but in saying that, theres a decent 1995 540i with around 100ks for 9k or so, yet that hasn't sold, a bit high i guess, but your indicated price of 7k is quite competitive especially to all those tired 250k kms+ examples that hover around the 4-6k mark

I have actually noticed a lot of E34's tend not to sell quickly as most 540i buyers end up going for the newer E39 versions, I mean after all they have gotten very cheap now, well into the 6-10k bracket (for an average one!) However the E34 still wins styling wise for me, I could never buy a 540i E39 over an E34 for that reason.

Anyway, back to your E30 cab topic, it might be more interesting if you post a series of updates rather than write ups.

Where was this advertised..Not like I need another project but yea....

Anyway nice score, cant go wrong with an mtech cab.

Spent the day cleaning up the engine. Found all 6 exhaust valves are bent, 2 rockers were broken and 2 inlet valves have a slight bend which causes them not to sit flush in the seat. Luckily I have a second 885 head I bought a few years ago for parts.

This is my work bench, couple of tyres stacked with the a door on top.

Posted Image

Some nice bent valves

Posted Image

Posted Image

The pistons and head cleaned up nicely

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the glass through the head, it looks like this was added after the head was pulled so no real damage has been done.

Posted Image

Next update will be in a few weeks once I get my parts order delivered and the engine is back together. After that I will move onto the interior/windows/roof.

So no damage to the pistons?

What'd you use to clean the pistons etc? Looking good

mean, this is going to looks so dam good when its finished. And im not even a cab fan!

So no damage to the pistons?

None that I can see. The pistons go up and down freely but all will be revealed when its back together and I turn it over.

What'd you use to clean the pistons etc? Looking good

A brush doused in fuel worked quite well without damaging anything.

Good to see you are keeping busy Jamez, nice project. Luckily you snapped this up before I heard about it and saved me from making an impulse buy!! Always good to see another VERT on the forum, even if it is a facelift :unsure: .

Good luck with the windows, not an easy part to find as they are special to the convertibles. I know from experience they are hard to find and very pricey to get hold of, especially genuine ones with the right factory tint in them.

If you need any pics or parts or info, just give me a holler I may have it laying about in the garage.

Did Mike give you the window quote I did?

He mentioned it but didn't have it on him, can you send it to me via PM?

Good to see you are keeping busy Jamez, nice project...

I now have 3 project cars for the winter, damn impulse buying, at least I have been hoarding e30 parts over the last few years so I don't need to spend anything on wheels, springs ect :D

Ring me when you want to do the roof. It is a fkn nightmare.

Guest Ari Gold

He mentioned it but didn't have it on him, can you send it to me via PM?

Pm me last 7 of the chassis number and i'll do it again at work, I've lost the original.

Update.

I have completed rebuilding the head which meant I had to replace lots of parts (mainly bent valves and broken rockers) and anything that wasn't replaced was cleaned thoroughly. Also replaced the waterpump and timing belt.

Hopefully will have it running later this week.

post-3670-1332030895.jpg

post-3670-1332030901.jpg

Good start Jamez, did you replace the valve guides or were they still ok?

Guides were fine as far as I could tell, I have it all back together now and turned it over last night. Doesn't have fuel in so it didn't start but should I be worried if the valve train is dead silent, all other e30's I have had sound like a sewing machine.

Will chuck some fuel in it tonight and see what happens.

Ha ha, don't tell me you have managed to build a quiet M20 motor?? If it's all turning over freely then it should be all ok, i usually turn it over by hand first of all to make sure nothing is clashing, then turn it over on the starter, then put the plugs is and turn it over again and finally chuck some fuel in. Bit of a slow process, but lots of opportunity to spot a problem before it all goes bang - sometimes.

A lot of the ticking I find comes from the injectors rather than the tappets.

A lot of the ticking I find comes from the injectors rather than the tappets.

Interesting to know! Do you think new injectors reduce the noise or is it constant through older ones too?

Cool project James

My new injectors make a heck load more noise than the standards

Finished off the engine last week, had to replace 2 injectors to get it running perfectly. Took it for a drive up and down the road and the auto doesn't seem to be changing gear, will that be because I have no selector so its thinking its neutral all the time? Either way I think a manual conversion might be needed :D

Here are some pics but nothing much has changed in terms of looks.

post-3670-1332915338.jpg

post-3670-1332915348.jpg

post-3670-1332915356.jpg