Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

E46 328ci vs 330ci

I was just wondering, apart from the engine change and corresponding slight increase in HP, is there any major difference between the E46 328s and 330s?

Suspension, interior, extras, anything like that?

I see what you did there :ph34r:

I was just wondering, apart from the engine change and corresponding slight increase in HP, is there any major difference between the E46 328s and 330s?

Suspension, interior, extras, anything like that?

The non facelift 2000-2001 330i/ci is the same spec as the 1998-2000 238i/ci bar engine.

Major spec changes come with the face-lift E46 model in mid 2001 I believe.

Hope that helps.

I see what you did there :ph34r:

The non facelift 2000-2001 330i/ci is the same spec as the 1998-2000 238i/ci bar engine.

Major spec changes come with the face-lift E46 model in mid 2001 I believe.

Hope that helps.

Maybe interior spec / options.

The 330i has larger Brakes Front & rear (almost same size as the E46 M3).

I would also assume the suspension is spec'd a bit different also, and 17" wheels are the min. & std.

99% sure 328 has heavier/nicer steering.

+1 on the brakes, makes changing pads and rotors a nightmare to the wallet.

Got quoted on Brembo slotted front rotors and they are 250 + GST a pop..

+1 on the brakes, makes changing pads and rotors a nightmare to the wallet.

Got quoted on Brembo slotted front rotors and they are 250 + GST a pop..

That's cheap.

after having driven both i would not want to own a 328 over the 330.

330 has heaps more torque!

330 has heaps more torque!

Just how many torques are we torqueing about here?

M52B28 2.8 L (2793 cc/170 in³) 142 kW (193 hp) @ 5300 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @ 3950 6500 1995 84 mm (3.31 in) 84 mm (3.31 in) 10.2:1

141 kW (191 hp) @ 5300 275 N·m (203 lb·ft) @ 3950 6500 1997

M52TUB28 142 kW (193 hp) @ 5500 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @ 3500 6500 1998

M54B30 3.0 L (2979 cc/181 in³) 170 kW (228 hp) @ 5900 rpm 300 N·m (220 ft·lbf) @ 3500 6500 2000 89.6 mm (3.53 in) 84 mm (3.31 in) 10.2:1

... and if the other guy realised he was racing....

Out of the box there would not be much in it, the 328i gets going very fast, you don't nee balls either, I will admit my wife got me to 50kph in here Automatic 328CI once or twice when having a laugh, they really do rocket!

I have driven a few of each, both are thirsty vs performance, could not tell the 330CI brakes were any better than the 328CI, both were crap to be honest, the 328CI has 17" wheels, I like the steering in the 328CI, its nice and heavy all be it a bit slow, the torque is nice and flexible, over all not a bad cruiser.

I think E46's are much of a muchess model to model, unless you are hung up on figures and stats and drive harder than you should in a car of this nature you will not notice any difference, they are tourers not race cars, if you want to go fast you need a M3.

Kind of beg to differ. An M54 has a lot more torque down low due to a more advanced VANOS system. Peak horse power difference dont really mean a hell of a lot.

Stock cars, well maintained (VANOS seals etc) is still a night and day distance. Put it this way, my old 330i would be neck and neck to a e36 s50b30 m3. 330 had 232bhp and a e36 m3 286bhp. Another example of peak horse power figures that dont mean lots.

Bimmersport dyno/drag day would solve this and show who the real drivers are. lol

edit post... bimmersport spelling fails me more than facebook.

Edited by apex

have driven both ,

a e36 328i goes well due to being leighter

a e46 328i is heavier but with the same power and torque so will be a bit slower

so it makes sence to go for the 330i with the unrestricted power

where as teh 328i is restricted a bit but can be modified to relieve some of the hidden power

(as whayney has proven).

i have also driven a e46 328i with 330i inlet manifold ,intake and elctroincs etc and it went better than a std 328i.

anyway my stock 1986 e28 535iA that i just brought would drag the lot of these off

with its stock 310Nm and 218Hp :rolleyes:

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Buy on the merits of the individual vehicle relative to price IMO. I would hapilly take a mint e46 328i if the price was right. Of course a 330i is 'better'.

In my family ATM I have e36 328i, 330i sedan (full spec), 330i cab (japa) and the sedan is the quickest, but not by much. They are all a decent step up from a e46 323i I can say that.

Maybe interior spec / options.

The 330i has larger Brakes Front & rear (almost same size as the E46 M3).

I would also assume the suspension is spec'd a bit different also, and 17" wheels are the min. & std.

Sorry to go a bit off topic but just wondering...

Are the brake pads in a E46 330i and 330ci one in the same? or are they different?

I'm in the process of changing brakes. Car is 2003 and Msport.

330 > 328 :P

Kind of beg to differ. An M54 has a lot more torque down low due to a more advanced VANOS system. Peak horse power difference dont really mean a hell of a lot.

Stock cars, well maintained (VANOS seals etc) is still a night and day distance. Put it this way, my old 330i would be neck and neck to a e36 s50b30 m3. 330 had 232bhp and a e36 m3 286bhp. Another example of peak horse power figures that dont mean lots.

Really? Was yours standard? The old man use to have a 330 and we had a bit of a drag (on closed roads, controlled enviroments blah blah) and it didn't stand a chance, well maintained very low km example, then again mine is well maintained also. The E46 are a very heavy car for the size, the M54 has alot of torque, quite an adictive amount, even the 2.2 M54 gets up and goes.

My M54B25 has gobs of torque, from about 1200 up it pulls ok. Theres a distinct increase at 3000 (probably somewhat related to the poked vanos seals).

from what i've read, pretty much EVERY M54 has failed Vanos seals (unless they were replaced - and BMW used the old style seals in the replacement units which fail again!). I know mine has knackered ones - easy to stall, lurching when cold, uneven/hunting idle mostly when cold, trouble maintaing idle under laod (riding clutch reversing etc).

The M54 vanos is infinitely variable between two points. where earlier versions had only two or three settings I think. The M54 is both cams too. I think it gives a better low end spread to the torque (not based on experience - never driven a comparable model, other than an auto jap 525i, which was dull in comparison).

I'm hoping to change he Vanos seals over the weekend B)

My M54B25 has gobs of torque, from about 1200 up it pulls ok. Theres a distinct increase at 3000 (probably somewhat related to the poked vanos seals).

from what i've read, pretty much EVERY M54 has failed Vanos seals (unless they were replaced - and BMW used the old style seals in the replacement units which fail again!). I know mine has knackered ones - easy to stall, lurching when cold, uneven/hunting idle mostly when cold, trouble maintaing idle under laod (riding clutch reversing etc).

The M54 vanos is infinitely variable between two points. where earlier versions had only two or three settings I think. The M54 is both cams too. I think it gives a better low end spread to the torque (not based on experience - never driven a comparable model, other than an auto jap 525i, which was dull in comparison).

I'm hoping to change he Vanos seals over the weekend B)

The vanos seals are easy to replace, did mine in the S50 and made a HUGE difference. The M52tu and M54 are twin vanos.