Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

M or no M?

When I bought my car it had an M badge on it (and nothing else). I removed it and replaced with 528i but in the interests of accuracy thought I'd check if it actually is a Motorsport. As far as I can tell from its standard equipment the only Msport equipment was the suspension - but suspension on its own does not maketh an M, does it? (Actually, it probably does now with the myriad of Msport cars to choose from but not in 1996?)

vin1.tiff

vin2.tiff

It's a 528 with Msport suspension?

Not sure what you're asking.

It's a 528 with Msport suspension?

Not sure what you're asking.

I'm wondering whether the previous owner glued an M badge on it or whether BMW glued an M badge on it. Not planning to glue one on myself BTW but interested as to what specifications do BMW have for sticking one on a car - i.e. do they stick it on even if you just have sports suspension?

Its preference, if you like the M badge leave it on!

Get chummy with a dealer who has access to cross check your VIN against the BMW build database.

Youll see what it came with from factory.

One of the line items is Debadge the car, in which a lot of the time the dealer will put a motorsport badge on the car.

My NZ optioned e39 540iA SE (motorsport bumpers/su came with an M badge and no 540i. Others cam with a 540i & M badge and others came with just 540i.

Totally depends what was optioned.

EG mine has

320 MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION

337 M SPORTS PACKAGE (includes the dark coloured roof lining)

705 M SPORT SUSPENSION II

710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

715 M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE

788 M LT/ALY STYLE 65 WHEELS (which im trying to source and put back on the car)

710 M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL

Its preference, if you like the M badge leave it on!

If it was an M5 I'd be proud of the M badge. Otherwise, not that fussed but as I've been trying to restore it I'd consider putting it back on if the car came with it originally.

EG mine has

788 M LT/ALY STYLE 65 WHEELS (which im trying to source and put back on the car)

Those are the M5 wheels right? They look good. There's a v. tidy silver Msport 540i parked regularly on Brown St in Ponsonby with style 65s. You should leave a note offering a swap!

What have you got on there now?

Motorsport package is considered a "M" Motorsport version? Has the suspension, kit e.t.c....

If I remember correctly the older year models there were no "M-sport". There was a "Sports Package" which included sports seats, steering wheel and suspension. "M-sport" ones included those plus the M-technic body styling etc.

Maybe the first owner bought the base but chose te Sports suspension as an option?

When we recieve new cars for Pre delivery inspections part of the inspection is to fit an M badge if the vehicle is equipped with Motorsport items such as kit, interior wheels etc, it seems these days Germany just hand out the M badge willy nilly, it has no true significance anymore.

When fitting the M we debadge the series number and fir the M on it's own, if there is an M badge as well as the series badge any where on the boot the M has been stuck on after sale of the vehicle, this is frowned upon by Germany and it just looks sh*t, except the M325i on E30s, that's genuine of course.

Argh, so if you have a F30 116i and order it with a Motorsport steering wheel that's good enough for the M badge lol?

one of my 318i had every single motorsport option ticked, basically was a facelift M325i except had the M40B18 engine, all came from the factory like that too. that car just had a very faded ///M and nothing else on the back

Argh, so if you have a F30 116i and order it with a Motorsport steering wheel that's good enough for the M badge lol?

No, most new BMWs have a Motorsport steering wheel these days, don't no why, much nicer wheel though.

It needs to be a combination of Kit (the most important thing for the M to be approved) wheels, interior etc.

You won't see an original M badged car without a kit and just M wheels, doesn't work like that.

IMO a true 'M' needs to be manual + the extras.

IMO a true 'M' needs to be manual + the extras.

Yep everyone has their own opinion, Germany rules overall since they produce the cars though.

Back in the 90s the only cars to have M badges were M3 and M5 (was there a 90s M325i E30?) That's how it should have stayed. Now there is pages upon pages of Motorsport gear you can tick for your new BMW the badge just shows it off.

So if one were to fit the correct items i.e suspension, wheels, interior seats, steering wheel, body kit would it qualify for the "M" or is it just another faded novelty from a by gone error?.

My E39 has an M-sport kit http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=CK18153 and it has enough M-Badging on the car, door sills, steering wheel, wheels for people to know that it's got the kit. Quite like the fact that it just says 530i on the boot lid, was an import so I guess they don't rebadge as part of the pre-delivery inspection in Japan.

Doesn't bother me to much what you've got on the back so long as it is accurate. Guy across the street from me has four fake exhaust tips and an M5 badge on his bog standard 520i Executive, looks a bit naff.

When fitting the M we debadge the series number and fir the M on it's own, if there is an M badge as well as the series badge any where on the boot the M has been stuck on after sale of the vehicle, this is frowned upon by Germany and it just looks sh*t, except the M325i on E30s, that's genuine of course.

Was wondering why a lot of newer cars had just an M badge on the back. Cheers Greg

My E39 has an M-sport kit http://www.bmwvin.com/?vin=CK18153 and it has enough M-Badging on the car, door sills, steering wheel, wheels for people to know that it's got the kit. Quite like the fact that it just says 530i on the boot lid, was an import so I guess they don't rebadge as part of the pre-delivery inspection in Japan.

Doesn't bother me to much what you've got on the back so long as it is accurate. Guy across the street from me has four fake exhaust tips and an M5 badge on his bog standard 520i Executive, looks a bit naff.

Was wondering why a lot of newer cars had just an M badge on the back. Cheers Greg

Does this guy's number plate start with DHL (If I remember) and is black with ugly wheels? I was on my way home and saw a "M5" rear parked on Memorial Ave and as I saw the wheels I was like WTF

Edited by andy_e39

Standard wheels, Style 48s I think. Personalised plate starts with CC, car is black. Lots of fake M5s in Christchurch, see a green one with Style 65 reps and not much else on Hagley Park opposite Hagley community college most days too.

Standard wheels, Style 48s I think. Personalised plate starts with CC, car is black. Lots of fake M5s in Christchurch, see a green one with Style 65 reps and not much else on Hagley Park opposite Hagley community college most days too.

Oh no sorry yes I remember it is the PP one! DHL was another black e39. But I definately know which car you are takling about. The other really bad one in Chch was also talked about in the TradeMe section. The heavily kitted up one with oval types, ugly wheels, M5 badging and carbon fibre bonnet haha

Must put an M badge on mine - I've got the 18'' Style 65's.... ;)

A mate of mine had a Mazda Bongo (ONLY because it was imported full of interesting car parts - it was just a box, for shipping effectively). Apparently it was an ///M