Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

I showed that pic (with no rear muffler) to Jason at Woolf Mufflers and he just laughed. Said it would be terrible. I'm pretty confident in Mike's suggestions as he's done a lot of experimenting on his V8 E36 and having de-catted an E39 528i I know the droning pitfalls of losing the middle resonator/muffler. I like the fact I can build this exhaust in pieces too, as resources become available.

Finally decided to fit the splitters. Fair bit of sanding to get a really good fit and then sealed round the edge with a bit of black sikaflex. Very happy with them:

post-16586-0-41579000-1382134789.jpg

About to put on some new front undercarriage covers... If the rain stops for long enough.

Beware of driveways, kerbs, and parallel carpark end kerb things! Looks great though!

Beware of driveways, kerbs, and parallel carpark end kerb things! Looks great though!

TBH they don't stick out much further than the stock M-tech bumper and are probably less than an inch lower so should be fine.

My good lady has got work in Sydney this weekend... So I brought the interior into the interior... of our lounge.

post-16586-0-72612800-1382692924_thumb.j

Re-dye of the leather in progress using Pelle Care products. So far, it's been a breeze and it looks brand new - at least it does on the floor of the lounge. Done front and rear seats and steering wheel. Will do the door cards too, but now I've found out how easy it is I might just do them in the car.

Just got to leave it for a couple of days now to cure. Will post some before and after pics once done.

Other jobs over the long weekend:

• Install anti roll bar link rods
  • Fit new front bumper undercarriage covers
  • Put the interior back in
Edited by jeffbebe

Leather looks good, is the re-dye easy enough to use? my leather is looking a little sad

Leather looks good, is the re-dye easy enough to use? my leather is looking a little sad

Yep, really easy... The prep's the most time consuming part. Mine was pretty quick as the wear was fairly minor and I'd cleaned the seats recently but I can imagine it would be the best part of a day's work to prep and recolour a full interior that was in worse condition.

Basically, you do this:

http://youtu.be/5OLBt8t0xHM

EDIT: I should add that the stuff I'm using doesn't require a top coat and will fill small cracks. Some filler and a bit more sanding's probably required if yours is pretty rooted.

The worst wear on mine was like this:

post-16586-0-10485600-1382696194.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe

Awesome!!! Don't spill anything or let 'Mum' see that pic would be my advice........... :)

Edit - (Meaning, spilling dye inside house wouldn't be flash probably........much like other / better half seeing pics of car bits inside house - well mine is a bit funny bout that sorta stuff anyway....) :)

Edited by Blue-540i

Don't spill anything or let 'Mum' see that pic would be my advice........... :)

Eh?

Looking good, Jooles. Subscribed for "after" shots!

well mine is a bit funny bout that sorta stuff anyway....) :)

I hear that.

All in all very happy with the results using the Pelle Care kit to refurb my leather interior. Steering wheel, in particular, came out really well. The finish (on the front seats especially) is a little glossier than I had planned but hoping it will dull down when it's fully cured. Failing that I'll try and find a matte finisher of some sort - though I think most of the matte finishes have to be sprayed rather than wiped on and any blemishes would be more visible.

Also did the door cards and handbrake lever. Will be interesting to see how well it wears.

From this:

post-16586-0-10485600-1382696194.jpg

post-16586-0-80989500-1382844242.jpg

post-16586-0-76292400-1382844243.jpg

post-16586-0-42907700-1382844245.jpg

post-16586-0-10771000-1382844247.jpg

To this:

post-16586-0-99399500-1382844348.jpg

post-16586-0-05517800-1382844359.jpg

post-16586-0-52075100-1382844360.jpg

post-16586-0-78533200-1382844361.jpg

post-16586-0-17992200-1382844364.jpg

post-16586-0-69989200-1382844365.jpg

Thanks Tristan. Put everything back in... Big improvement, even it it is a bit shinier than I'd like!

post-16586-0-88150700-1382853648.jpg

post-16586-0-45681600-1382853649.jpg

post-16586-0-09533500-1382853650.jpg

post-16586-0-61978600-1382853650.jpg

post-16586-0-06634600-1382853651.jpg

Love you're work Julian, car looks so good! Might have to do my interior at some point. And do be very careful with the front splitters, I got the front lip on my old 328 caught on one of those stupid parking block things and pulled the front bumper off and cracked it aswell as smashing the under tray and fog light mount :( was an expensive exercise. And was probably same hight as the 540

Thanks Justin. Yeah, I try and be pretty careful. Since getting my wheels refurbished I have just parked like an a*sehole miles away from any curb... Now I just do the same at the front. Have to be a bit careful in my work carpark where the car lives most of the time, the ramp's pretty steep!

nice work, looks very smart , yea the shine will wear down with a bit of use.

i like your red stitching on the handbrake and gearlever boot , did you do that?

Thanks Brent. Sadly, my sewing skills aren't that good or I would have redone the stitching on the door cards, etc too. Just bought the handbrake boot and gear stick gaiter from Top Gaiters on eBay. Cheap as chips and a good fit.

Nice work! Looking forward to hearing how the re-paint on the leather holds up over the coming summer months.

Yeah, me too. To be honest, I'm not that worried. It took about 8 hours all up to do and I've got enough paint left to do them all again if need be. Not bad for $200. I'd need to do it 25 times before it cost as much as replacing with new leather! haha

EDIT: Actually, it was only $150.

Edited by jeffbebe

Is there a special cleaning procedure required ? Can you just go abouts using the usual leather cleaner/conditioners available, or do you need special stuff?

Do you mean prior to painting or once painted?

Prior - yes, you've got to clean thoroughly then use a solvent based cleaner (or Meths works well) to strip the original coat).

Post - nope, ordinarly leather cleaners and conditioners are fine. They obviously recommend their own. I've got a good set from Freedom Furniture that came with our couch that also has a protector which will hopefully make it last a bit longer too.

A little update. Got a good deal on some bolt on 25mm spacers up front. Because the wheels are staggered the 8.5"s at the front didn't fit the wheel arch like the rears. Looks much better now and a slight handling improvement in tight corners.

10619336884_dc3f54c091_z.jpg

10619338784_9f602641a3_z.jpg
Said goodbye to the main cats and replaced with a couple of small Coby resonators. Decided to keep the Y-resonator, having deleted it on my 528i I decided that there isn't a better way to avoid the drone and keep the cabin noise at bay - have kept the Fast Flow muffler I fitted when I got it and it sounds exceptional. The cats were damaged so the core was broken up and blocking the flow. Hopefully some small gains in power now. The 540i has another set of small cats up front, right after the headers, so taking these out hasn't triggered any faults. Will try and grab a recording of the exhaust note one of these days.

10844394656_13883c60b2_z.jpg

10844663413_63ed213627_z.jpg
Discovered an oil leak from the oil pan level sensor when underneath and also fresh oil on the crank case. Hoping this oil has been blown back from the sump which was pretty wet thanks to the sensor seal leak... But got a sneaking suspicion that this might be the crank seal... Which is a bugger. Cleaned it up with some brake cleaner and will monitor. Oil sensor seems fine so might see if I can buy the seal on its own.
10844392714_7df99269b1_z.jpg
I'm gradually - as funds permit - buying up OE suspension parts to do a complete front and rear overhaul sometime next year as well. When the old suspension comes off i really want to give the underside a really good clean - with the (ambitious) goal of keeping it that way once the new suspension is in.... I live in hope!

EDIT: Oh, and dumped this thing too last weekend. Was making a racket and doesn't really have a purpose now I've ditched the cats. No faults, less noise. Happy.

10844966586_12d82deda4_z.jpg
Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Oo you been busy. Good to see no fault codes thrown because of the cats. Keen to hear how the beast sounds now :D.

Considered putting spacers in the front at one point as well - didn't think it would provide any noticeable improvements to handling though!