Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Which E39 Model should I buy?

Hi Guys,

Early next year i'm going to get around to selling my E30 and hopefully buy an E39.

I have 2 weeks off work Mid January and will finally have some time to look properly.

I like the quiet ride these provide along with the value for money.

I do a lot of open road driving, but which one should I buy? I used to have an old 528i with the Jatco Gearbox, which was ok, but lacked power and was a bit harsh changing from 1st to 2nd gear (typical Jatco).

That was an older 1996 example, i'd be looking at something like:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=665748484 530I

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/540i/auction-669761838.htm 540I

Would the 530i be a better experience then the 528I? or not enough of an upgrade?

Basically I like them in Silver with the Motorsport Kits.

I recently drove a 525i Motorsport Wagon, from 2002 and found that it was also under powered for my tastes, however i'd imagine the wagon version is heavier?

Whilst i'd love the 540i model, fuel economy and maintenance costs do come into it, as my 75km return commute to work includes about 20km's of stuck in traffic town driving.

Does anyone know what these models use in the real world? ie how much more does the V8 really use?

I'd assume that for either models I mentioned, that the 1st thing to do is overhaul the cooling system.

I love the old E30 and all, but its not the most comfortable car as a daily driver.

Cheers

Charles

the 530 is a huge upgrade from the 528 belies the mere 200 cc.Cabt comment on economy but 75 k plus a day with 20 k stop start will hurt the wallet,but probably not as much over the 325 as you would think

Just racked up 900km of highway driving on a 540i from Christchurch to Hamilton and used bit less than 2 tanks of fuel(approx 70L per tank). It was mostly cruising at 110kph with the occasional high speed passing maneuver when required, pretty decent i thought.

540i will use less petrol cruising that the small 525i or 528i will struggling to move the weight around.

i would go for the 540i over the 530i (i did)

but biggest thing is maintenance, same stuff on both, cooling systems are a must, they really are when rather than if.

My 540i uses about 13.5 l/100km so i cant really recommend it for a daily driver, like you say the wagons are a bit heavier though!!

From what i've heard the 530i is the way to go, quite a bit improved on the 528i, and theres a few around.

Good luck with the hunt.

I like my NZ new 528 ( a lot). But trust me, when I bought it a year ago you couldn`t find a 530 at that price, Take the 530...have a couple of drinks, then hit ` buy now`. I`m in ChCh and got my 528 from Auckland on the back of a truck, Bit of fun for the neighbors, cost $800.00.

I've currently got a 530i and I love it. Not yet have I felt I needed that extra litre and 2 cylinders. It's got the up and go when required, but is a lovely quiet cruiser when you ask it of her. Sure, I contemplated the V8, but ultimately chose the 530i.

Best of luck with your hunt.

i came here to say 530 but then looking at the 540 in your link makes me wana say go for the v8.... hmmmm

The 530 is a better steer due to its rack and pinion vs the 540 recirc ball setup. In saying that, the v8 is awesome and blows the sixes away. Especially when fitted with a healthy set of pipes. They like a good drink in traffic, but are better on the open road than the smaller sixes.

I chose the 530i for my daily.

If I was buying a 540i I'd want a manual trans

ps: I read tonnes E39 buyers guides and forum discussions before getting mine, 530i was the "pick of the bunch" majority of the time.

i will have a 2003 nz new 530i m-sport up for sale soon ,

done 171k's topaz blue , towbar ,

black leather and all the other fruit they come with

if thats of any interest to you

Hi Charles. Probably a tough decision between those 2 really - I personally think the 540 needs to be a bit cheaper........but based on what you say intended use is, if I were you out of those 2 I'd buy the 530, specially given its a NZ new car. If it were myself though, I'd lean on the guy selling the 540, see if I could get it a bit cheaper (its been for sale for a while.......) because irrespective of anything else, theres nothing like a V8............. ;):) They've got more grunt than a wild pig............& for what they are & the performance they've got - they are great on fuel......... ;)

Edit - spelling.

Edited by Blue-540i

The 5 series e39 has taken a large hit in price and good units can be had for a reasonable price look for the 2003 /04 models as they being near the end of the line had all the items as standard if the budget can stretch the e60's have dropped to. As for the suitablity of a 5'r re your description you will find it a bit heavy on the pocket IMO they are not a light vehicle and the v8 is some 80kgs heavier and they are built for the open highway. The 530/540 debate will always rage on it depends on you and what you want your situation for me presonnal I went 530 as it suited my situation and in over five years ownership it wasn't to bad of a vehicle. Best of luck in your search.

• Like 1

530d touring!!!!!!

Yea, :rolleyes: but at some levels the words BMW + diesel motor is about the same as 'cousins' + kissing..............its just wrong, like really wrong..............and I don't care if ya didn't marry her / him or didn't breed - its still wrong............ :( And then we're adding in 'hearse version' too......

Imagine it ae - 'Dude, what sorta car ya got??' - Aww, I've got the Ultimate Driving Machine mate - a BMW........"Good $hit, primo - what sort....??' - 'Umm well, its a diesel, wagon...........' :lol:

Like seriously, we're taking the pi$$ a bit, but FFS - where do we draw the line on some of this stuff?? Some-one somewhere maybe has a fetish for BMW diesel people mover maybe?? Or are we holding our breathes in anticipation for a M5d or what............

Edit - Jamie, give up that $hit you're smoking............ :);):)

Edited by Blue-540i

This is very good...M5d.. The same sort of thinking that `inspired` the Porsche Cayenne.I can remember Clarkson`s horrified review of that thing on Top Gear.

He signed off by saying ( and you`ve got to imagine his voice ) `At the end of the day, why would you put your hand up at the golf club and shout out...I `ve just paid 60.000 pounds for the slowest Porsche.....ever made...!!!

Tbh I need that stuff I'm smoking keeps me alive. love to say find a 540 Motorsport manual wagon but good luck, I'd never buy a diesel but wouldn't mind a go In one that's been chipped and a bigger turbo as I said it'd have some grunt for a tractor

• Like 1

a BMW diesel is the best diesel you can buy. TORQUES. ultimate oildrinking machine.

and why the hell not. the M550D is faster than the M5 in some aspects, and is more tractable.

X5 M50d, is PHENOMENAL. Don't knock it until you try it, dudes.

Edited by The Juggernaut

Tbh I need that stuff I'm smoking keeps me alive. love to say find a 540 Motorsport manual wagon but good luck, I'd never buy a diesel but wouldn't mind a go In one that's been chipped and a bigger turbo as I said it'd have some grunt for a tractor

Lols at this............... :D<_<

a BMW diesel is the best diesel you can buy. TORQUES. ultimate oildrinking machine.

and why the hell not. the M550D is faster than the M5 in some aspects, and is more tractable.

X5 M50d, is PHENOMENAL. Don't knock it until you try it, dudes.

Truly??? :rolleyes: A BMW is the best diesel you can buy??? Funny, as I'd heard that Cummins, Cat, Toyota etc make some fairly good diesels too........ ;) If something is faster & more tractorable tractable, IMO that doesn't always mean its 'better'........

Have you owned a diesel?? Bulk of my last 40+ vehicles have been diesel - apart from a couple of quick 4's, anything else has been 6 cylinder or V8 petrol. Diesels are great, in the right application & usage, no argument to that from me. Feed a new CRD a gutfull of dud fuel though, & then work out how smart the thing is, & how expensive it is to own............ ;):)

V8's sound nice and have a nice bit of kick to them, personally I think you need to own a V8 at least once in your life and with the way fuel prices are going now is as good a time as ever. I miss my V8 beemer once in a while, mostly on the motorway.

530i is a nice car though, will be more economical and has better steering.

Bar the small capacity diesel's none of the E39's are very economical by modern standards so its much of a muchness.

540i will use less petrol cruising that the small 525i or 528i will struggling to move the weight around.

That does not make much sense to me, I would think the lighter car with the smaller engine would be more economical when cruising seeing they have the same rolling resistance. When you are at a certain speed you don't need a lot of power to maintain it.

• Like 1

In sportmode the 528 has more than enough. 190 HP. But the 530 @ 228HP replaced it so I would lean towards one. Sure the 540 would be an awesom ride ( torque wise)but I`m confused about how you can get full fun value out of one and keep your licence.

Ditto the 928. I`d love one, but where do i get to cruise it all day at 160 kph ?

I`ll quote Clarkson again...` I once travelled 200 km in a 928. In one hour....

Get real 540 is where you wanna be!!!! otherwise well you know whats the word ?OH yeah its compromise!

[ oh no have i started something?]

Edited by emac
  • Like 1

Edward old son you are 100% correct. I have driven a couple, but I don`t own one, and they are not expensive to buy. But you have to read my post again. I don`t TRUST myself in one, which is why I operate my 528.

They are of course friggin awesome. But I don`t have one. Or a 928.

PS: Last Bmw was a 1992 e34 535 ..great car, but only 20 HP more than my current 528.