gjm

M-cars, in order of merit.

A Boxing Day discussion? ^_^:)

original.jpg

Not my list... Found it online. Not sure where the idea of a M6 came from - as far as I know there was only ever the M635CSi. Still...

1. M1

2. E28 M5

3. E30 M3

4. E24 M6/M635CSi

5. E39 M5

6. E46 M3

7. Z3 M Coupe

8. The M8 Prototype locked away in a vault because it was too insane for humans to actually drive (or the accountants didn't like it)

9. E34 M5

10. 1 Series M Coupe

11. E36 M3

12. E61 M5

13. E92 M3

14.-87. All others

Take a deep breath... And, discuss.

I was a little surprised at the middle order too... Positions 2, 3 & 4 I have some experience of and can understand. Is the M1 the best M-car ever? Dunno.

I suspect the E46 may have topped the E36 on the basis of outright capability - more drivers would be able to drive the E46 faster (perhaps). From what I have heard, the E36 is a better drivers car, though, and it is interesting that the M-versions have exactly the same recorded time around the 'ring (for a standard car) - 8'22". The E46 CSL was much faster.

Got me thinking though... Anyone got an E28 M5 they'd like me to look after for them?

Swap positions 1 and 3, and make the E46 M3 the CSL version and I would be pretty happy with that list.

E30 M3 was basically a road-legal race car, produced in just enough numbers to homologate the race car for Group A and DTM. The level of sales far exceeded expectations and the accountants cottoned-on to a marketing angle, and the rest went down-hill from there, in terms of the cars base purpose.

That said, modern day M-cars are capable of being daily drivers, long distance cruisers and week-end fun machines all in one which is no small achievement.

for what it is the e39 m5.broke the mould a little a 4 door 400hp sedan in 1999,still a nice daily and perhaps the ultimate road trip car ?

• Like 1

1. E30 m3

2. E46 m3 csl

3. E36 m3 S50B30

4. E28 m5

5. E39 m5

6. M1

I'm not sure if the 1M is a real "M" car, however I really like it. :)

Nigel Aston

There quite a few differences for group-a and dtm e30 m3 suspension to the road car.

for what it is the e39 m5.broke the mould

Not really 100% correct (but i appreciate everyones opinion is different to mine mate.)

Thread jack in 3......................2..........................1.........................

post-3653-0-34267400-1388035777.jpg

Not really 100% correct (but i appreciate everyones opinion is different to mine mate.)

Thread jack in 3......................2..........................1.........................

attachicon.gif1lotus-omega-carlton.jpg

its why i said "broke the mould a little ", must admit i was torn over the e34 M5 and we are supposed to be talking about BMW M cars!

Edited by kiwi535

Understanding what "M" is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M) might help. BMW is notorious for having that many variants with in it's different models.That the "M" brand has lost it true statues. They used to be all hand made up to the E34 I believe , correct me if wrong then after that they slapped a M badge on any thing that had a few changes made to it.

http://jalopnik.com/bmw-m-cars-ranked-1488668117

From Jalopnik.

For me I don't like the M1 unless it is in race form. So I won't include it.

1. E30 M3

2. E24 M6

3. E34 M4

4. E31 M

5. E82 1M

At the bottom of my list would be the least looking M car there is. The E36 M3. Take the badges off and it could be just another 328.

Understanding what "M" is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M) might help. BMW is notorious for having that many variants with in it's different models.That the "M" brand has lost it true statues. They used to be all hand made up to the E34 I believe , correct me if wrong then after that they slapped a M badge on any thing that had a few changes made to it.

an M badge is not the same an an M car Alan.There have only been a few

Edited by kiwi535

Considering it was a flagship model and a hell of a car to drive I'm suprised the E38 doesn't rate a mention in the list.

Bmw_E38_730d_front_by_ShadowPhotography.

Edited by kulgan

for what it is the e39 m5.broke the mould a little a 4 door 400hp sedan in 1999,still a nice daily and perhaps the ultimate road trip car ?

:) Ditto^^^^^^^^ Theres lots of nice M variants out there, true, but the E39, & to a slightly lesser extent, the E34, to me they were & are proper real world cars, like Paul has said. To me, the E39 is just the duck's nuts really - the E30 & E36 M models, whilst special, are a bit more of a w*nk thing more suited to a race track, rather than something ya can & would use everyday....... ;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

Considering it was a flagship model and a hell of a car to drive I'm suprised the E38 doesn't rate a mention in the list.

Bmw_E38_730d_front_by_ShadowPhotography.

A 740i is a slower and worse handling version of a 540i.... also there's never been an ///M 7 series - so the limo is always going to struggle getting on a list of the greatest //M cars :-). Don't get me wrong 7 series are good cars but a 7 making this list would be like a 2002 making the list of BMW's best cruisers....

:) Ditto^^^^^^^^ Theres lots of nice M variants out there, true, but the E39, & to a slightly lesser extent, the E34, to me they were & are proper real world cars, like Paul has said. To me, the E39 is just the duck's nuts really - the E30 & E36 M models, whilst special, are a bit more of a w*nk thing more suited to a race track, rather than something ya can & would use everyday....... ;):)

Too true. The "real world factor" if you adjust for age was at its peak with the e28 IMO. I love my e34 but the e34 M5 I think was a bit ordinary. Well not ordinary... but not thaaaaat much more spectacular than the 540i. The same cannot be said for the e28 or e39 m5s and their next quickest flagships (between 34-54% more power!)

Love this video:

• Like 1

BMW's use of M-Technik is suffering the same fate as AMG post Mercedes purchase. These days it seems almost as much about big wheels, bodykits, engine and suspension tweaks, and an additional bit of badging.

There is talk of a M-spec 7-series, but I feel that is (again) a similar action to designating a Mercedes S-Class as an AMG. It's missing the point.

• Like 1

A 740i is a slower and worse handling version of a 540i.... also there's never been an ///M 7 series - so the limo is always going to struggle getting on a list of the greatest //M cars :-). Don't get me wrong 7 series are good cars but a 7 making this list would be like a 2002 making the list of BMW's best cruisers....

Too true. The "real world factor" if you adjust for age was at its peak with the e28 IMO. I love my e34 but the e34 M5 I think was a bit ordinary. Well not ordinary... but not thaaaaat much more spectacular than the 540i. The same cannot be said for the e28 or e39 m5s and their next quickest flagships (between 34-54% more power!)

Love this video:

the biggest problem with the e34 M5 is they were much heavier cars than the E28 with a a similar engine spec

... I want a turbodiesel E38 M7 Touring. is that too much to ask?

it is now yes

• Like 1

I do like E28 and E39 but the E34 will always be perfect balance between old and new and the quality built 5 series to me.

• Like 1

They used to be all hand made up to the E34 I believe , correct me if wrong then after that they slapped a M badge on any thing that had a few changes made to it.

The e30 m3 was made on same production line along the 'normal' e30. Probably because of the relatively large numbers produced / popularity.

In regards to M7 - there was the SA e23 745i which was powered by the M designed 24 valve M88. One example was at the NZFMR 2012.

I reckon the last of the hand built m cars the e34 3.8 should be further up the list.

The other which is missing is the x6m. Needs to be on your bucket list in terms how quick a heavy vehicle can move. Add snow or low traction surfaces and this will deal to any other m car. Same power as stillborn M8

The other which is missing is the x6m. Needs to be on your bucket list in terms how quick a heavy vehicle can move. Add snow or low traction surfaces and this will deal to any other m car.

Its on my bucket list anyhow!