Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Buying a car to keep for a LONG time

What would it be?

My 320d Touring is a great everyday car, but it's unlikely anyone would buy because it so excels at any one thing.

There are more economical cars available.

Load carrying is OK, but could be better (even in a car of this size)

Handling is good. Could be improved by MS kit, but there are better.

Comfort is fine, but there is better.

Parts availability - a little planning and you can get pretty much anything. May be more expensive than some other makes...

Looks - it's hardly ugly, but there are prettier

You get the idea. As a package though, the Touring does pretty much everything that is asked of it. Sure, I could ask for more, but there would likely be compromises in one area or another. And could any other car do it all for the same price? Possibly.. I'm not going to worry about that.

However, if buying a BMW to keep for a long time, which one should it be?

This is to be a second (or third) car.

Take into account ease of maintenance, ready and long-lasting parts availability at reasonable prices, fun to drive, good looks.. All of the things above. Something that will make you smile when you see it in the garage. A car that you could use every day if you wanted to.

But most of all, a car you could keep for the next 20+ years, and retain the attributes listed above.

So, an E30 with a M20 engine? I thought of a 2002 with an M10, but body parts are getting harder to find... Still, it's an option.

What do you think?

If I had the cash then an E30 M3 or I'd even have a good M325i or Touring and spend $'s on restoring/improving it...preferable an Mtech 2 kits as its the only one I havent had.

Although if its just a third car I'd probably get a Z3 just for the weekend.

My Mtech 1 kitted E30 325i manual convertible.

I was planning to keep my M325i for a while. But things change and I want something that can tow the race car.

So it will be for sale in a few months all ready for the next Bimmersport owner to love.

Take into account ease of maintenance, ready and long-lasting parts availability at reasonable prices, fun to drive, good looks.. All of the things above. Something that will make you smile when you see it in the garage. A car that you could use every day if you wanted to.

There's always compromise obviously.

For me it'd be a e34/e39 540i - very comfy, quick... reasonably good looking... lots were made so parts are easy to come by. Perhaps wont make you smile all that much when you see it in the garage as opposed to a true classic but they are still special cars.

Otherwise I'd go e46 m3 - loses on ease/cost of maintenance but wins in the fun to drive category. The good ones will suffer minimal depreciation over the next 10 years I think

I was talking to someone about this the other day. Pretty much almost every

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yup I'd like a 540i, 535i etc even a good 7 series but probably as my first car to travel in style... the wife has a 1 series at present, we have a Terrano for trips to the beach/tip, so I'm looking for a E30 325i or 318is for those weekend country roads :)

The V8s I had put to one side on the grounds of additional complexity... Lovely, no doubt. Simple? Not so much.

There's also the question of immediate affordability to be considered.

An E28 535i would be lovely, but a bit rarer than the E30 M20 option! The last good one I saw was hacked about and fitted with a Lexus V8. :(

The V8s I had put to one side on the grounds of additional complexity... Lovely, no doubt. Simple? Not so much.

There's also the question of immediate affordability to be considered.

An E28 535i would be lovely, but a bit rarer than the E30 M20 option! The last good one I saw was hacked about and fitted with a Lexus V8. :(

should see if my mate wants to sell his one.

1982/83 528i 5spd dog leg sports box

fitted with a fresh rebuilt 535i engine running e34 535i motronic

lsd , bilsteins

non sunroof model

early recaro sport seats tan interior

non aircon car

540i front brakes

brand new alloys (old stock)

zender ? front spoiler

needs a bit of tidying up and some of the doors have rust ( he has replacements just need painting)

he doesn't use it just sits in his shed

post-279-0-05800200-1393290448_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-86734900-1393290642_thumb.jpg

should see if my mate wants to sell his one.

I need to come and see you sometime anyway. Perhaps we could have a chat?

I'd buy another e39 540i in a heartbeat. Picked mine up for 2700 and was in bloody good nick. Plenty of grunt. Cheap to buy, cheap parts and reasonable on juice. Do regret selling mine.

I'd buy another e39 540i in a heartbeat. Picked mine up for 2700 and was in bloody good nick. Plenty of grunt. Cheap to buy, cheap parts and reasonable on juice. Do regret selling mine.

Must have been good, what did you keep that for, 3-4 months?

• Like 1

e36 M3 EVO in some rare colour would be my choice.

I wouldn't call it my " Dream " Car but id definitely never get sick of it sitting in my garage and I'm sure my grand kids would appreciate a factory 300hp German coupe from 1997. Especially since they will be driving half electric boxes made up of a mix between carbon and marshmellow =D

I was planning to keep my M325i for a while. But things change and I want something that can tow the race car.

So it will be for sale in a few months all ready for the next Bimmersport owner to love.

Talk to james.. he wants one.

to answer the topic ..I've got mine already. tech1 + 5lug + nz m325i + s50b32 + suspension + bbk + wheels n sh*t.

M-Tech 1 m325i to keep forever. Won't take up too much storage space, or have electrics bite you in the arse after sit.

My henna 1983 E30 I plan on keeping forever, as I am the second owner and bought it off a friend so may as well keep the theme going.

'Have a feeling my 6 speed urS6 I may keep forever too as she is pretty rare in NZ, and much like a 3.6 M5 isn't worth a whole lot so no great gains in selling.

I'm lucky for storage space to mothball cars though if needed so maybe it';s not so easy for everyone to keep a car forever.

Must have been good, what did you keep that for, 3-4 months?

About that yup.

• Like 1

Regret selling both my 540's. Would buy the black one back in a heartbeat if I had the funds and it was for sake

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

e36 M3 EVO in some rare colour would be my choice.

I wouldn't call it my " Dream " Car but id definitely never get sick of it sitting in my garage and I'm sure my grand kids would appreciate a factory 300hp German coupe from 1997. Especially since they will be driving half electric boxes made up of a mix between carbon and marshmellow =D

That's half the point - I'm not talking about a dream car. Just one that you'll enjoy, and always be happy to drive.

Talk to james.. he wants one.

to answer the topic ..I've got mine already. tech1 + 5lug + nz m325i + s50b32 + suspension + bbk + wheels n sh*t.

From the PM's there are a few people after one. Some kid stopped me in the car park at Albany mall the other day to see if I would sell it.

• Like 1