Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Totally agree Julian. RC's are a great wheel but not on the 8... M par's suit perfectly. It's always a horses for courses thing

• Like 1

Macweld in Drury. $50 per wheel for the lips and another $100 for some welds and repairs (one had a minor buckle).

• Like 1

Love it! will look good once they on. Hows the rear diffuser coming along?

Slowly. Need to drill new holes as the ones the PO drilled are too low. Trouble is they're quite close together so may need to fill/weld the old ones first... Might need your welding skills, mate!

Hahaha by all means. Getting pretty good at coin welds now, but you could borrow the welder too if need be.

Never welded anything so not sure I should pop my cherry with my pride and joy!! Haha

• Like 1

well if it doesn't work out, you can just grind it back haha. Well when your out my ways again, let me know and we can T up a time to get them holes closed

• Like 1

Haha, yeah welding is an acquired art like skill imo, can't just give it a few practice runs and give it a go... especially if its structural.

My friend that did all my E36s welding has been doing it for 8 years and it certainly shows

• Like 1

Seriously, seriously sexy.

Are the lips clear coated at all?

Nope... Clear goes yellow and you can't polish it properly! Best to leave it bare metal and keep it clean and polish regularly!!

• Like 2

Haven't updated for a while. Big thanks to Will for all his help diagnosing and providing solutions for brake issues. As a result, picked up a cheap brand new E32 Master Cylinder thanks to Geoff (FIAT 131R) which is a straight swap and fitted at the same time as replacing the ABS module and pump with an E32 one Andy sorted out for me. Brakes and ABS now work! Still a little bit spongey and there's a pressure/squeak coming from the pressure regulator that connects to the brake bomb. It looks like the seals around the switches are leaking so I've ordered new switches. Hopefully that will fix any remaining issues:

post-16586-0-46495400-1420583109.jpg

Also, since lowering the front the slight clunk (a worn bush somewhere on the passenger front side) has got much worse. Happens in the same spot in the when you turn the wheel at very low speed or standstill but not while moving. Martin suggested pitman and idler arms might need realigning after lowering so will have a look at that when it's on a hoist and find out which bushes need replacing. Track and tie rods are new(ish).

I've also got csi front spoiler, rear diffuser and mirrors ready to install once painted. Front is genuine, rear diffuser is a rep and mirrors are from an E36 M3. Rear diffuser and mirrors need a fair bit of work to get them to fit so that will be one job over the summer.

Also psyching myself up for pulling the top half of the engine off for refurb (strip and powdercoat valve covers and manifolds + replace gaskets). While it's off the road I'm going to send my EGS to Dinan and see if they can figure out a chip that'll work. Their 4hp24 chip only works on the US boxes currently but they think they can adapt it if they have my control unit.

post-16586-0-28643900-1420583103.jpg

post-16586-0-30005600-1420583116.jpg

• Like 1

As much as I'm a fan of the BBS RC's I'll admit defeat this time.

Now you've got the M par's back on I can see what your talking about with the deep dish vrs concave.

Those M pars are looking sweet.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. Very happy with how they turned out... Makes the car look 'expensive'! haha

Martin (BreakMyWindow) helped me swap the DK motors for a spare pair of refurb'd ones I had. We turned a 30-45 minute job into an hour and a half job by both breaking the old, hardened vac hoses into the throttle body. Unfortunately, I was totally unprepared and hadn't purchased any spare hose. Luckily they we managed to stretch what was left (just).

Tested last night and wow, what a difference. Way better throttle response and less jerky when throttling on and off. Feels faster - but that might be placebo. Looking forward to a longer drive at the weekend.

Pleasantly surprised the new ones didn't need syncing either.

post-16586-0-21147400-1421188476_thumb.j

post-16586-0-03754500-1421188876_thumb.j

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 3

Good results! Didn't break the bank too much? :P

Did you put that strut bar on? It will help but the better ones to go for are those with rigid fixed attachment points than the pivot style ones that is on there.

Nah, I got a good deal on the refurb'd ones and have an offer on my old ones so will come out of it okay.

Yes, I fitted the strut bar. Very few options for the E31 under $1K!

EDIT: TBH, I don't think a strut bar does much at all re: handling but they do help greatly with reducing interior creaks and groans in older cars!

Edited by jeffbebe

You wont find out what strut bars do until A ) you push the car to the limits around a corner B ) drive down a road with ruts and tramlining.

They do unmask any under steer or over steer issues a lot better though.

Jooles, you're doing a marvellous job on your car I have to say. I hope to meet you some day and see for myself. Keep up the good work.

Dave

Thanks Dave, still a list as long as my arm of things to do and my pockets just aren't deep enough for all of it at the moment!

But high praise as I've heard very good things about your M5 from Martin, and I've seen what you did with your E90 as well! Definitely drop me a line when you're in the neighbourhood.