Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Something rattling around in the head about a steering column nut that loosens on E34/32 etc. Does it share a column with?

Very similar if not identical. Wrack that brain, Tony! I'll ask Google as well.

How does the steering/handling feel in the e31 compared to the e39?

How does the steering/handling feel in the e31 compared to the e39?

Well, my 8 compares terribly at the moment because of the wobbly steering column and worn front-left shock but good ones I've driven handle amazingly well for such a big car. Not quite as tight in the twists as my E39 (which had servotronic steering) but still great.

Fixed a broken tab on the LHS kidney with plastic putty.... Holding so far:

14908201584_c9c879f16a_z.jpg

Buy car ... rip engine and gearbox out (and anything else your heart desires - I am thinking the bodykit also) .... sell shell with old engine ... then proceed to go YIPPPEEEEEEE down Ponsonby road : )

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Buy car ... rip engine and gearbox out (and anything else your heart desires - I am thinking the bodykit also) .... sell shell with old engine ... then proceed to go YIPPPEEEEEEE down Ponsonby road : )

What a great idea... All I'm short is a garage and $23k!!

I'd hazard a guess at somewhere between 500-550bhp at the crank. Doesn't look the seller has had the engine running yet though.

Jooles you should drop a line to Alan Ferguson- he may be interested in adding number 11 E31 to the collection!

Pulled the lower dash out and had a good look around. The play all seems to start after the rubber universal joint (#2):

1.png

Here's a quick vid of the joint when I move the steering wheel in and out:

No idea if it's mean to bend as much as that but the play in the steering at the wheel (about 5mm up and down) definitely starts there and there's no play in the column below the joint, so I'll get a new one. I think worn front shocks are also contributing to the harshness when you hit bumps at speed but it's being accentuated by the play in this joint. Hopefully replacing it will fix the worst of the issues and prevent a few brown trousers cornering at pace when the wheel feels like it's going to bounce out of your hands.

Total guess here, based on what I've seen in other cars:

I'd think this would be an issue caused at the top of the steering column - example: my VW van; if you put a Porsche steering wheel on, the back of the wheel doesn't hold the top bush in tight enough, and the column can go up and down, then the bush moves up too far, and the wheel gets a bit floppy. My Porsche steering wheel has a spacer added on the rear to keep the bush in place, and it's all tight. The rubber donut (as you show) doesn't do anything to position the column on my Van... though I'd repalce yours too - may have had a lot of unusual flexing from the movement.

Maybe there is a worn bush, or a similar "design" to the VW at the top end???

I'll try and take a vid of the column with the wheel off. There are two metal spacers that sit loose when the adjuster is all the way in and it's at this point there's most play in the wheel but when the adjuster is as far out as it will go the spacers are tight and push the rubber bush in around the column preventing the play. However, even with the adjuster out you can feel the bumps dramatically through the wheel when you drive which leads me to think it's another issue. I've checked all the front suspension parts and there doesn't seem to be much play in the column at the steering box which is why I'm thinking it's that little guibo.

Guess it's a pretty cheap fix and will eliminate it as a possible cause.

i find it hard to believe that the rubber joint should move that much. A little bit of flex, sure, but that video makes it look like its made of bubblegum.

Like Allan, I would think there is a retention issue further up the column. I can't imagine that guibo being designed to control end float in the column

You're probably right and is are probably more than one issue at play here.

So, probably part #2 (or #4 - they're both plastic) on here:

3.png

It's #2 and the two metal rings (#3 and #6) that are loose when the wheel is adjusted fully in. I'll take the wheel off and get a vid. Should be easy enough to replace both if I'm doing the guibo at anyway.

Edited by jeffbebe

It will be the guibo for sure, you will be surprised how much flex gets into them over time!

I changed mine in the E36 to a brand new one (lower steering shaft assembly) and it was a night and day difference.