Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Yeah, a 23 year old rubber joint (assuming it's never been replaced) isn't going to be great and you can bet those plastic spindles are forked as well.

They had the top spindle in stock at BM Workshop - $25. Now that I've seen it, I know exactly what's wrong with the old one... All of the tabs are broken so the centre (rotating) part is loose, that means it pops out when the wheel is adjusted fully in and the column can move freely where it was.

15393548580_0ebf2869fc_z.jpg

They're probably broken because of the deeper issue of play from the universal joint which is amplifying small bumps into the road into major shakes at the wheel.

New universal joint on order ex-Germany.

Tidying up the engine bay at the moment in preparation for Bimmerfest on Nov 15-16. Starting with the engine cover. So far I've attacked it with some rough sandpaper, will be moving onto some fine finishing paper before repainting. Got my helpers in on the action:

post-16586-0-47028000-1414103749.jpg

post-16586-0-30281900-1414103757.jpg

The rubber gasket that attaches to it so it fits snugly over the manifolds is in pretty good nick but has a crispy coating of old, brown grease/oil which I'm not sure how to remove.... Suggestions?

Edited by jeffbebe

The boot's not so comfortable for the dogs in the 8, I'm afraid. Can chuck the little one on the front seat but the big one plays havoc with the leather!!

Curing the clear coat by driving! Still got some cleaning and polishing to do but it's looking a lot better under there now!

post-16586-14143910415225.jpg

Also chipped the DMEs. Seat pants test says okay!

post-16586-1414391101443.jpg

post-16586-14143911871391.jpg

It was very quick to do so I'm confident I can swap them between dyno runs to check if the seat of my pants is correct.

• Like 4

Shiny engine - well done :)

• Like 1

No more nasty yellow!!

Good job Jooles. 23.gif

Actually, there are still a few little bits of nasty yellow which I probably won't be able to get rid of until I remove the intakes but it looks pretty good in the interim!

• Like 1

I take it you polished them in place? What was to procedure to get it to look like that? Looks great, sure makes a big difference!

Yeah, wanted them tidied up for Bimmerfest but knew I wouldn't have time to do the full intake removal, etc (which is still on my to do list). I just used some wire brushes and a bit of elbow grease and had a vacuum cleaner running to suck up all the dust. I started with wire brush drill bits but it didn't give a very even polish (there are still some swirls).

I repainted the engine cover and sanded all the shite off the gasket... It looks good but as I haven't got a paint bay and it was a windy weekend there are a few blemishes in the paint but nothing catastrophic. Will put it up as a DIY at some point.

New hose clamps and finally got round to replacing the LH bank ignition leads (they were working okay but I had to do the RHS so just did the full set).

About as clean as I can get the bay for now until I remove intake manifolds and valve covers...

15509831330_c008fdb8ba_z.jpg

Have been advised that I should do this sooner rather than later thanks to a common issue with loosening banjo bolts (which will ultimately wreck the cams if not treated):

post-16586-0-88076200-1414964054.jpg

Plenty of good solutions though: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2088697-M70-S70-owners-Have-you-checked-your-banjo-bolts

• Like 1

Engine bay is looking very flash now.

• Like 1

No problems fitting the universal joint and the top spindle was pretty easy too apart from the snap ring which was a bit of a b*tch to remove without the right tools but I got there in the end. Unfortunately, it still hasn't sorted out the problem; although the steering response is better the judders through the steering wheel over any pumps is really bad. The suspension all looks pretty new but the shocks are worn and I have replacements on their way, I'm hoping that sorts out the root cause but the play in the steering column is still an issue.

post-16586-0-65341200-1415576342.jpg

post-16586-0-97319800-1415576360_thumb.j

There's is no play at the steering box end of the column which is encouraging and I've tightened the bolt on the swivel joint so there is now no play where the splined end of the lower column fits into it. But at the top of the lower column where it connects to the universal joint there is still a fair bit of play.

I think the only thing I haven't eliminated yet is the bush (#9) in the diagram below which is, of course, a discontinued part. Awesome.

1.png

part 7 is a common part that wears out , have replaced a few of these over the years in e28 e34 etc.

when you remove them you can feel the play in the universal

also the bottom balljoint on the track rod(centre drag link) get a lot of play in them .

• Like 1

Any way to check the universal joint without removing it? Doesn't seem to be any play in it but perhaps you can't tell til it comes out.

The track rod looks pretty new so don't think it's that.

Is # 7 on the interior side of the firewall? If so you could engage the steering lock (take key out) and wiggle the wheel while checking the UJ for play. Else some one watching # 7 in the engine bay while you wiggle the steering wheel.

No #7 connects to the steering box. Have solved one issue; the collar nut on the upper steering column had been tightened way too tight (presumably in an effort to eradicate the play in the wheel) which was stopping the steering wheel adjustment from working correctly. There is now, no longer any play in the wheel at any setting. Woohoo.

However, the shake in the wheel over bumps is still there and a new issue has arisen: a single nasty clunk when turning under heavy load at low speed. Wondering whether I could have over tightened the universal joint or if the strut bar has amplified a worn bush somewhere.

Will have to get it up on a hoist for a proper steering test.

get someone to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while some holds the uni joint in there hand you will feel the knocking in it .

has any one checked the steering box itself??

the track rod ball joint under the steering arm as well , put your hand around it etc .

really need it on a hoist someone doing the steering wheel while someone is underneath with a good light and eye etc

also the idler arm bush on the left side flog out and the track rod will rise up m causes the left wheel to shudder in some corners etc