Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

'THE' M3...

Hold up.

If she hit me.. Shouldn't the cost not matter? Since her insurance will be paying for it, not mine on an agreed value?

My insured amount with my insurance company shouldn't mean anything if her insurance are footing the bill

• Like 1

The other insurer doesnt go by book value when fixing someone elses car do they?

Hold up.

If she hit me.. Shouldn't the cost not matter? Since her insurance will be paying for it, not mine on an agreed value?

My insured amount with my insurance company shouldn't mean anything if her insurance are footing the bill

That was my position too when a lady crashed into our loan car when it was stationary and she was at fault. They tried to write it off...I wouldn't accept that and they ended up repairing it using all new parts which cost about the same book value as the car

Hold up.

because it has nothing to do with your insurance and your agreed value, its upto them to determine whether its worth a repair or write off i think?

obviously just because they are at fault, doesnt mean they will spend 50k to repair when car is worth 30 (for example)

but i still think you have a case to argue because like you said its your car and going from what glenn has done, it seems like you might be able to get it repaired

Hold up.

Not necessarily. You're claiming under your insurance, not theirs.

Swann right? Does it have this clause?

What We May Choose To Do Once We Have Accepted A Claim
1.Act in your name and on your behalf to negotiate, defend or settle any claim.
2.Take over any legal right of recovery you have, and exercise it for our own benefit. We will pay for this. You must give us any information or help we reasonably require to do this.
3. Keep any property we have paid a claim for, including any proceeds if it is sold, unless you have purchased the ‘Total Loss Salvage Rights’ optional extension of cover and it is shown in the schedule
Guess it depends on whether they're willing to go into bat for you?

wait i got confused with 3rd party and full cover.

so im guessing that you have full cover, in which case you claim it with your insurance company and they get it back from the insurance company of the person at faulty. right?

Yes full.

Mm. I'd say they want their money back, so will go in and bat?

They'll get back whatever it costs them. Whatever it costs them depends on how closely they want to look at it (it's often easier and cheaper for an insurer to write a car off than it is to fully investigate a repair) and whether they're willing to push for a repair on your behalf, I guess. Hence the word "may" in the clause above.

What does your policy say?

PS not saying you're sh*t outta luck or anything just dont expect them to stump up full repair when they may not be liable for it. Keep at it them, no harm in trying.

Sorry to hijack my thread back.

Car went MIA, as insurance told me it had been picked up and dropped off Monday, and Repairer said they didn't have it - found it, still at towing yard.

I've told them I don't care what their assessor might think right now, I'd still like it towed for an assessment at my chosen repairer. I dropped the words 'sentimental', 'dream car' and a few other cheesy things to get them to realise it's not just another dumb car.

Yeah watch that too .. Tow yards will try anything to get hold of wanted cars for cheap... its happened more than once recently. Sighting high towing costs for recovery and big damage expensive repair rar rar rar.

At the end of the day chassis rails can be repaired, transims can be cut and plasma welded back in and panels / trim replaced. Who towed it? Why did they not tow it to your chosen repairer and only to their yard? Or did you only decide that after the fact. (totally understandible)

I NEVER have a damaged car towed to a yard - always back home or if the desired repairer is available straight to them. Yards are like vultures they will do anything to have the car sent to their mate's repair shop or to have the assessor write the thing off and buy it off them for next to nothing.

I'd just get on the phone and have the car towed to your panel beater and get them to liase with the Insurance assessor directly - this is the best way, as it is in their interest to see the car repaired so they will get onto it and bargain with the assessor in terms of repair cost and probably have a quote for the assessor even before he or she sees the vehicle.

Don't leave it at the yard - get it towed ASAP to the panel shop. Even if they end up writing it off the Insurance should cover for towing to and from place of damage to place of repair (even if it is from yard to panel shop). I have had cars towed home and then towed to the panel shop subsequently and everything was covered by Insurance.

Personally I would also tell the panel shop to send you a quote before they send it to the assessor - that way you can see whether the repair cost is inflated or whether there are parts you can source cheaper elsewhere.

Here's an eg. of an accident I had in a Civic Type R many moons ago. The car was insured for $13K and it was a heavy frontal (my fault completely - stupid giveway sign and someone running a red light which I couldn't track down) - my full cover paid for the damage to the other vehicle (I think it was some $5K or $6K). The Civic was sent to Honda's repair shop and the damage came out to be around about $10K to repair with all new parts. The Insurance wanted to write the thing off, until I looked at the parts prices (which were about $6K) - I told the insurance company that I could source half of the parts at much less than the indicated and they would be genuine parts that I would happily accept responsibility for, this brought down the parts bill by about $2K and under the mandatory write off value. The vehicle was repaired and parts supplied (with proper invoice from a friend in the parts business).

Moral of the story - if it is close to write off value, look at the parts costs - there's often 10-15% margin there that you can easily save and it could mean the difference between having a car written off or not.

p.s. Not every Insurance company or repair shop will of course accept this, but if you are a good negotiator and point out to them that this would be win win for everyone involved (insurance company paying less, panel shop gets the job even if they lose out on parts margin, and you get a properly repaired vehicle) then there's a good likelihood that you can save a car from being written off.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

after recently picking up a car out of a tow yard and seeing it forklifted out of the pile and presented to me, i too would strongly discourage letting a car go to a car yard. what was still a WOFable and legal car with damage in the front was ruined because the floor was all pushed up, totally unrelated to the crash. i would have had them on but in this case i wasnt too concerned anyway, was on the verge of being a part out anyways.

It was 7pm - it had no where else to go.

It was the only car locked away in a shed (all the others were left outside to be pissed on by the rain) and they kept that she'd locked. It was amusing going back the next day and this little black M3 in this huge empty shed..

So they sorted it.

Unfortunately the guys didn't know how to put it into Neutral when shifting it, so moved it in first until I sort of screamed at them (sorry guys) and have made note of that to insurance in case of damage.

The car has been locked in the shed ever since, but yeah I can't help what insurance do with it when they tell they have moved it and then don't.

A bit late now guys, but thanks for the advice.. Let's hope she's moved to Panel Beaters in one piece :/

I too have had an experience with the mercedes where it broke down in the city late at night. the insurance company said they can tow it to a towing company's car yard then to a repair shop next morning but we didnt want it staying overnight in some random tow yard so we brought it back home. then called mechanical warranty company to get it towed to mercedes dealership next day. all free of charge of course.

hope it all works out for u amber and let us know how it goes!

It was 7pm - it had no where else to go.

It was the only car locked away in a shed (all the others were left outside to be pissed on by the rain) and they kept that she'd locked. It was amusing going back the next day and this little black M3 in this huge empty shed..

So they sorted it.

Unfortunately the guys didn't know how to put it into Neutral when shifting it, so moved it in first until I sort of screamed at them (sorry guys) and have made note of that to insurance in case of damage.

The car has been locked in the shed ever since, but yeah I can't help what insurance do with it when they tell they have moved it and then don't.

A bit late now guys, but thanks for the advice.. Let's hope she's moved to Panel Beaters in one piece :/

Sorry but that makes no sense. The yard can't assess how much it'll cost to have it repaired .. the assessor doesn't know how much it will cost to be repaired. The only person that can do that is a panel beater estimator (who will usually need to get quotes for genuine parts so it won't be straight away) - they then submit this to the assessor who then look at the car and cross check the estimate and say yes that's reasonable or no that's not so we are going to let someone else look at it.

It makes zero sense for it sitting at a yard or a shed waiting for the assessor. Something doesn't add up. I have NEVER had an insurance company tell me to leave a car at a yard (or home for that matter) waiting for the assessor to come look at it. It is always asked to be sent to someone that can properly assess the cost of damage and repair.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 4

Agreed, I would look into it a bit further _if_ you want your car back and repaired to your standard. I hate to say it but it all sounds a bit opportunistic from what you're describing.
I know its a total hassle, but you do sort of have the right to challenge/ question this whole thing.

If you've made your mind up you want a new car, sweet as. :)

Yeah well I've never been down this before. Apparently assessor went there and saw it.

They have then sent a panelbeater from my selected repairer up to see it - with the car still in the yard.

Someone enlighten me because I don't know what the f**k is going on.

what they do is send out pics etc to a list of panel beaters and part suppliers

to tender on it

and wait to get quotes back from them

most don't bother unless they are confident they can supply all the parts etc

most likely bmw nz will be quoting for the parts side

will be a really expensive list and probably quote on more parts than is really needed.

I am getting a 07 M6 repaired with only frontal damage and I saw the parts quote and the panel beaters quote was HUGE!!!! so they wrote it off

I have got the parts in myself and commissioning the same panel beater to do the repairs

all done to a very high spec and with engineer certs etc for much much less than was quoted to the insurance company's.

you need to take control of it as they will just fob you off etc .

get a good beater to quote on it after the damage parts have been stripped off etc

get them to quote with parts they can get new and used (or maybe some bits can be repaired )etc

or just take the HUGE retail price on the car pay out and go buy another one

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i
  • Like 1

Is the front of the car damaged (and another party involved)? That can make things more complex but if you're 100% not at fault (i.e. you stopped short and were subsequently shunted into another vehicle/obstruction causing frontal damage)

Wrong, in multi vehicle pile up the last car in line is the one considered at fault and pays for damages for all the other vehicles. This is because it is considered the one that failed to stop and the inability to apportion amount of damage done from car to car or extra damage done by the last vehicle to pile up, so being the last car in a pile up is perhaps the worst position to be in. Edited by M3_Power

what they do is send out pics etc to a list of panel beaters and part suppliers

to tender on it

and wait to get quotes back from them

most don't bother unless they are confident they can supply all the parts etc

most likely bmw nz will be quoting for the parts side

will be a really expensive list and probably quote on more parts than is really needed.

I am getting a 07 M6 repaired with only frontal damage and I saw the parts quote and the panel beaters quote was HUGE!!!! so they wrote it off

I have got the parts in myself and commissioning the same panel beater to do the repairs

all done to a very high spec and with engineer certs etc for much much less than was quoted to the insurance company's.

you need to take control of it as they will just fob you off etc .

get a good beater to quote on it after the damage parts have been stripped off etc

get them to quote with parts they can get new and used (or maybe some bits can be repaired )etc

or just take the HUGE retail price on the car pay out and go buy another one

never knew that but that does make sence.

Amber might be worth talking to Brent at some stage....

Your vehicle will now be on a nationwide parts quoting system that the panel beater has to list it on to get a price for all the parts, and the repairer will supply a quote for the repair and paint.

Depending on who the repairer or parts supplier is. If new parts, which in you case will be, the list will not be over the top, do not expect a quick process....i can quote panel jobs and then parts not be ordered for another few weeks, then allowing travel time to get the parts in etc....

The next problem is as the insurance company does not give the repairer time to strip the vehicle before compiling his list of parts he requires he can only do it from face value,

in other words expect a lengthy process.......have supplied parts for vehicles up to 3 months later because once stripped find more parts necessary......getting stuck into the insurance company or panel beater will not help you at all as they are both at the mercy of the parts supplier (possibly the local dealership) who is at the mercy of BMW NZ its a big chain and there is very little that can be done.

I quote insurance parts as a job, and you would be suprised the vehicles that do get repaired, so my fingers are crossed for you

Your vehicle will now be on a nationwide parts quoting system that the panel beater has to list it on to get a price for all the parts, and the repairer will supply a quote for the repair and paint.

Depending on who the repairer or parts supplier is. If new parts, which in you case will be, the list will not be over the top, do not expect a quick process....i can quote panel jobs and then parts not be ordered for another few weeks, then allowing travel time to get the parts in etc....

The next problem is as the insurance company does not give the repairer time to strip the vehicle before compiling his list of parts he requires he can only do it from face value,

in other words expect a lengthy process.......have supplied parts for vehicles up to 3 months later because once stripped find more parts necessary......getting stuck into the insurance company or panel beater will not help you at all as they are both at the mercy of the parts supplier (possibly the local dealership) who is at the mercy of BMW NZ its a big chain and there is very little that can be done.

I quote insurance parts as a job, and you would be suprised the vehicles that do get repaired, so my fingers are crossed for you

Not always the case. at the age of the vehicle suppliers are more than likely to quote used parts, and well within their rights to supply them, especially if it means a drastic reduction in repair time to use used parts instead of new.

At the end of the day, no matter what is quoted out, its basically at the mercy of the insurance company as to which quote gets accepted (usually the lowest price one because they are dicks).

/Also quote partstraders for a job. Partstrader is the bane of panel beaters existence, havent met a single one that actually likes having to use it and its screwing them out of money on every job just so the insurance company doesnt have to pay out as much.

This is not my experience, and it doesn't make sense. In a ten car nose to tail there's no way the first car got damaged by the last car. The police need to make the assessment roadside and it's entirely their discretion that will apportion blame.

Nevertheless, Amber should be ignoring everything we say and seeking advice from her insurance company.

if i (or amber) has come to a complete stop and is stationary, then someone from behind crashes into the back pushing middle car into front car, how could middle car possibly be at fault????

Well.

Interesting read. Thanks? Haha

• Like 1

Well.

Interesting read. Thanks? Haha

Dont expect much and you'll never be disappointed

Big Fat sh*t Update.

Got a friend to ring insurance company as I can't atm.
And here's what they have to say:

The car is still at the towing yard. They aren't moving it unless it can be repaired. The Panelbeater is coming back with a quote at some point today.

The vehicle hasn't been listed on the Parts network because the Panelbeater hasn't come back with a 'yes it can be fixed, no it can't be' verdict.

Insurance from Lady behind me is useless - My insurance are only paying out to the amount I'm insured for, even if she did hit me. I'm the one who has to go on a man hunt to get insurance to pay out to me.

f**king blood is boiling, I think I'm hitting the boxing bag at gym tonight! Useless bastards.

• Like 2