Sign in to follow this  
Zadkiel

M3 DCT for track work?

I own cars of all 4 main systems currently available to the mass market

- full three pedal 6 speed manual

- SMG2 automated 6 speed

- Tiptronic 6 speed auto

- 7 speed DSG wet clutch

And to be honest each system has its own purpose and does them pretty well. The arguments being thrown up are as valid as saying Blondes are better in bed than Brunettes, but none are better than your sexy little Thai hooker.

Drive whatever floats your boat - not one system is perfect, bar the F1 seamless shift dog boxes - I'll have that over any manual any day.

• Like 4

Yes, can you do a J turn with one of these modern boxes?

Not sure about the DCT, but in the 991 GT3, you can "clutch kick" the PDK by pulling on both paddles at once.

• Like 1

I don't really see how Ron is 'trolling'.. He's just making his valid point clearly with out beating around the bush.

How is this not trolling? ...

"It all comes down what you value and who you are trying to fool.

The manual is lighter in the front and better balanced and will 'teach' you how to drive properly."

You've hit me up for saying I don't think much of a Soarer's styling once too often, Mike, which I don't think is nearly as bad as suggesting the OP is trying to fool anyone and that they need to learn 'how to drive properly'. Ron could have just said a manual is lighter in the front and better balanced in his opinion without the sledging... But he didn't.

I think Ron is just being Ron. If we really analyse it I suppose he could considered a troll, but at least he was making a justified point within a specific topic.

Now that you mention it, If anything you were playing the troll with your repeated anti-soarer remarks that offered no actual point other than to annoy me. Often somethings are better left unsaid.

Lets just remind ourselves of the given definition:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response

If anything it's worse, all you did was undermine your integrity by not keeping pointless, objectionable comments to yourself. If that was your intention, well done.

Hmmnn. Not sure I get your logic. So you hit me up and I apologised because I felt bad and didn't mean to offend you, but it's okay in this post because 'Ron is just being Ron'. I suppose I should be pleased that my trolling seemed out of character!

Time to lock thread and throw away the key? Once again the "manual is superior to everything else" brigade has ruined a thread.

• Like 2

Shall keep it open for now, because every now and again something is posted that is relevant to the original post..

Perhaps some one can enlighten me. Often wondered how a DCT would be like to hoon around in, like if you were sitting on the side of a road and wanted to show off and do a power slide U turn. Needs a bit of clutch balance to break traction and do a nice sideways power slide up off the road.

Or doing a gym khana on the skid pan at Hampton, slide the car around a cone and hook reverse into a cone garage, then forwards off, so fast gear changes and slipping clutch a bit for presise angels to get set up for the next cone.

Ya know what I mean ? I imagine DCT would be a bit naff for that?

Indeed. How do these new, fandangled, robotisised thingies do skids?!? Enquiring minds demand answers goddammit!

who needs skids when you have launch control? DCT 1 - 6SPD 0

You have been driving a Honda for too long. Everyone needs skids.

• Like 1

i also have a skyline, so well versed in the art of skids.... but i'd trade the lack of traction for launch control any day. Makes traffic light drags way more exciting.

• Like 1

Man card revoked.

OP - I think of it like DJs.

When CDJs came out, they was a backlash, 'it's not real DJ'ing" .... "vinyl only sets" etc etc. Big names would state in interviews how they would only play authentic vinyl.

I used to be like that - only owned manual cars, would never consider an automatic. Ever.

Then 2 things happened. 1) I got a bit older 2) I tried SMG2 / DSG / DCT. Guess what. Just like the DJs people eventually realised there are massive advantages to new technology. No once cares about 'vinyl only' DJs now.

Bottom line for me is; if you track it more than 6 times a year, I would consider 6 speed.

But if it's your daily, it's a no brainer. Like previous posts, you'll never go back once you have lived with a performance car with a 'clutchless' box.

Uhhh, I have launch control in the E30 with a regular old clutch and manual box. Drag racing is boring anyway.

you wanted reasons for going DCT or not, that right there is a difference. DCT has LC, manual doesnt.

Also, im sure the M3 has enough power to do skids no matter if its DCT, if you heathens are that way inclined.

you wanted reasons for going DCT or not, that right there is a difference. DCT has LC, manual doesnt.

Also, im sure the M3 has enough power to do skids no matter if its DCT, if you heathens are that way inclined.

Is launch control worth having though?

Guess what. Just like the DJs people eventually realised there are massive advantages to new technology. No once cares about 'vinyl only' DJs now.

Haha, disagree.

A professional DJ that uses vinyl only has far more respect from like minded music goers, and they have considerable skill that takes much practice to refine.

Don't forget vinyl too has a better sound, especially noticable at louder volumes, CDs and such digital media are far brighter and harsher on the ear.

Is launch control worth having though?

Each to their own. I think its cool in all the cars ive used it on. After the novelty wears off you probably wont use it, but at least you have the option to.

Stuarts probably thinking , wtf happened to my thread , asked a straight forward question and gets meaning of life

So to summarise , get an M3 with SL1200 mk3 turntable retro fit, to be a man you need a left hand knob and then you can do skids. But to learn to drive you need to learn to ride. And Hondas are ghey.

Or give Mike Eddie a call at BMW driver training and ask his opinion on DCT for track days.

Btw , was that your lotus at the BMW Taupo drivers day a couple of years back.

• Like 5

......... into my shifty old manual

is that what you really intended to say?

^^^^^Gold! Still off topic - yep vinyl is still the best medium for true music reproduction (though certainly not as versatile as digital media) & IS making a comeback.

in my mind a dsg smg etc are not an "automatic".One of the main thing i dislike most about the tradional auto is you dont have a direct mechanical link between your foot and the rear wheels.That is not the case with a dsg smg etc...Drive a few M3 of all persuasions and make your choice.The gearbox desnt make the driver its the thought processes involved.Many many people dont "drive" The gearbox of choice for most people reflects that.If i lived in the city of sails i would probably CHOOSE an auto but it would be a dsg etc rather than a TC type one.

• Like 1

I previously had SMG E46 M3, took an E92 manual M3 for a test drive. Purchased DCT M3.

Great box, very strong with the wet clutches.

In stop start traffic tap the accelerator which engages crawl mode till you apply the brake and come to a full stop. Handy for Auckland's on ramp control systems.

The childish part of me really enjoys the throttle blips on down shifts when shirt mode is 4 or 5. Under that they don't occur.

Around town in auto mode I have the shift program 2 selected. When feeling spirited in manual (paddle mode) I have program 4 selected.

my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I have concluded from this thread that

A) I don't know how to drive because I have no clutch pedal

B ) My car can't complete fantastic skids when needed

C) I'm most certainly trying to fool people with my fake manual.

Google isn't needed when you have Bimmersport opinion services at your call.

I have driven DCT and SMGII.

In both New M4 around a track, E92 around town and E46 SMG because well, it's my car.

I used to have a heart attack when I thought I would have to drive my 328i Manual in traffic.

I even cried once.

Never have I cried from DCT, SMG, or Auto.

In that, I conclude that many more smiles will come from DCT M3 vs Manual M3.

But again that's just an opinion :D

Edited by MISS BM