Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Miss M will have a car

Well, this really hasn't worked out anything like the way it was planned.

The car is, or is very likely to be given we have had an offer accepted, to be a 1995 E36 318i saloon, 5-speed manual, Cordoba Red, black leather.

It has problems of course. Clearcoat is peeling, tracking is about a mile out, brakes are a bit soft, headlining is sagging (they all do that, sir). But that's about it. The brakes do work well enough, just require more of a push than they should. New fluid may sort that.

Drives well, with more get up'n'go than I'd expected from a M43 engine. Steering is pleasantly light and tactile, nothing rattles or shakes .

What can I say? It' seems to be a solid, sensible car. The engine isn't the greatest ever fitted, but the biggest issue - a weeping cover gasket, isn't a problem on this car. Actually, the engine bay is almost suspiciously clean.

It's had a recent full service, new rad, new expansion tank, has new rear tyres and good fronts, WoF is barely a month old.

Pics in due course.

So now I have two E30 coupes, one with live rego, engine and gearbox, one without. I have some plans, but one of them will certainly be going.

• Like 3

Sounds perfect! The M43 behind an auto is piss weak, but with a manual box it aint half-bad. Sounds like an ideal first car.

• Like 2

There is nothing wrong with an M43 engine with no faults. One of the better motors BMW has made in post 1995... the later N42 & N46 are friggen sh*t

• Like 4

There is nothing wrong with an M43 engine with no faults. One of the better motors BMW has made in post 1995... the later N42 & N46 are friggen sh*t

My thoughts too. Solid little motor. May not tune as well as some others, but that's not what we want it for. :)

And thus endeth one of the longer running sagas around here- well done Graham. She will be safer than in an E30 too. So when do you go shopping for some Ados F2 and 2 way stretch fabric?

• Like 1

And thus endeth one of the longer running sagas around here- well done Graham. She will be safer than in an E30 too. So when do you go shopping for some Ados F2 and 2 way stretch fabric?

The fabric looks pretty good, but I know little to nothing about headlinings, let alone in an E36.

To be honest, 'er ladyship was far more impressed with a clean engine bay, comfy seats, and a headunit that will accept an input from her phone. (Have I completely wasted my time? We'll see!) A bit of sag in the headlining really didn't bother her.

What can you do with M43B19s? Ive always been stumped why they only make 118hp / 180nm (reasonable torque at least)

Can you get decent HP out of them, with basic NA mods and a reflash?

I mean compared to Toyota/Honda 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0L they are a good 50hp down.

What can you do with M43B19s? Ive always been stumped why they only make 118hp / 180nm (reasonable torque at least)

Swap it for an m42b18, 140 hp and still decent torque.
  • Like 1

Props on the pending acquisition!

So now I have two E30 coupes, one with live rego, engine and gearbox, one without. I have some plans, but one of them will certainly be going.

If you have two front seatbelt receptacles I'll buy them.

• Like 1

Swap it for an m42b18, 140 hp and still decent torque.

That's the concise version of wht I found. More power from a M43B18? Replace it.

Not entirely true of course, but there are other, far more easily tune-able engines around.

However, the M43 is (as far as I can tell) a good, solid, reliable and easy-to-work-on lump. And it makes plenty of power for a first car. :)

• Like 2

However, the M43 is (as far as I can tell) a good, solid, reliable and easy-to-work-on lump. And it makes plenty of power for a first car. :)

So true

The m43 is old tech, sohc engine. The Toyotas and Hondas are dohc itb engines with vvt etc. Similar to the tech in a s50 or so id say.

although going off topic, as mentioned the m43 is an old motor and she's pushing a rather heavy car. Still acceptable power and torque figures for the early 1990s and they feel more lively than the 320i. But it must be mentioned the latest rubbish from over rated Hyundai n/a 2.0 in the 2016 lantra is 112kw and 190nm. Couldnt believe it when I read it, worse is all the muppets rushing out to buy this tacky crap because their neighbor or mate has.

Edited by coop

Parents have done over 80,000k's on their E46 M43, no power over 3k but good torque for around town . Beside regular maintenance only things they've replaced were DISA valve and cam sensor. To me the DISA valve is biggest flaw and cost $350 to replace but maybe the E36 M43 is different?.

Well, it's home. And it's dark, so no pics.

Temp gauge struggles to climb out of cold. Needs a gear knob, and the rearview mirror wobbles like a nodding dog. It's been lowered, the arches have been rolled, and there's signs of rubbing so we'll need to touch that up.

Curiously, and contrary to Jared's post, this one actually seems to like a few revs, and goes fairly well above 3-4k.

Assuming the forecast storms don't roll in over night, I'll have a far better look over tomorrow.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Temp gauge struggles to climb out of cold.

Likely to be thermostat, or coolant temp sensor? Or something else entirely?

Thermostat stuck open or removed entirely?

• Like 2

Likely to be thermostat, or coolant temp sensor? Or something else entirely?

Yeah will be tstat stuck open, common issue

• Like 1

Thermostat stuck open or removed entirely?

Stuck open I can live with.

Removed entirely raises a lot more questions... :unsure:

PO tells me he's replaced the radiator and (I think) the top hose. Expansion tank looks to be in good condition.

C'mon Graham it's been 4 days, the wait for pics is killing us :P

Patience is a virtue!

Apologies for the crap quality. Better pics in due course.

post-51211-0-95787700-1464067644_thumb.j

Fuel filler cap and door handles, kidney grill surround and so on have been plasti-dipped in black.

Wheels are the wrong offset for the car. Rears rub on hard cornering, despite the arch lips having been rolled. So, replacement rims are on the menu.

Not obvious in the pic but to be expected - clearcoat (took me ages to work out what people were talking about - I know it as lacquer!) is peeling in several areas.

post-51211-0-84614500-1464067648_thumb.j

Cleanest engine bay I've seen in a while, even if it's not obvious in the pic. No oil or water leaks anywhere!

It started raining, and it was getting dark, so pics of a black leather interior weren't going to come out well. :)

• Like 4

Interesting colour! Looking forward to seeing it at one of our upcoming coffee meets. :)

• Like 1

Interesting colour! Looking forward to seeing it at one of our upcoming coffee meets. :)

It's Cordoba Red. Not really red, but not quite purple.

It will be along.

• Like 1

Swapped the ACS rims for some others that were available. Fit much better - 17x8.5 et13 doesn't quite fit on an E36 without bodywork mods. :)

post-51211-0-09320000-1464150197_thumb.j

Couple of slightly better pics of the engine bay (still from my phone, so quality is barely better):

post-51211-0-96443700-1464150227_thumb.j

post-51211-0-68314000-1464150233_thumb.j

You'll just have to take my word that the leather interior, while showing some marks, isn't ripped, split burnt or anything else unpleasant.