E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

The 333i... "Potentially the only one in NZ." I know someone who has two of these, and there are certainly others. :)
But very rare indeed. Baurs, M3s, and Tourings are also rare, but relatively common by comparison.

55 minutes ago, Neil McCauley said:

Oh to go back to 2015...

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 6.43.24 pm.png

Oh to go back a bit further (2007-8?) when I was being offered M3s out of Japan for $12-15k, and decided they weren’t worth it.

1 hour ago, Palazzo said:

Oh to go back a bit further (2007-8?) when I was being offered M3s out of Japan for $12-15k, and decided they weren’t worth it.

Arguably they are not. 

A guy I used to work out with around then had a black 88 M3 and he paid 18k for it and used it as a cheap daily, he never even cleaned it, was just a car.

Old enough to actually go back to being a kid in the 80's when my dad made an enquiry to buy a new RHD converted one and was quoted around $150k, about three times what his 320i cost him, and the 320i had more cylinders, an auto and more doors, was a hard sell at the time. 

Just think, if you purchased a E30 M3 new in the 80's and accounted for inflation it might be worth that again some day at the rate things are going. To be fair, 120k would have brought you a nice house a good area in Auckland at the time so maybe not the best investment. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 6:01 PM, Eagle said:

Still plenty of tidy E39's around though especially later facelift stuff. E34's are the more durable engines, drivetrains and cost less to maintain and stand more a chance to survive. I see plenty of low k E34 540i's which are probably still rocking mostly original parts.   

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/325i/listing/4393895444

Interesting to see what this goes for

$3,060. That seems like a lot for some twisted sport seats and an unknown condition motor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No doubt other little bits and pieces but yeah. In saying that i dont have a clue about E30 prices these days and everything seems expensive to me.

• Like 1

"We have owned this BMW 325i for about 3 years now" "I promised myself that we would never sell it but our loss and someone's gain"

Is the loss attempting to make 300% profit on it

• Like 2

Honestly. I feel this guy has been told its a classic by someone and now he is too far into the facade to turn back...  Its like when a kid finds something in the garden and brings it in to show you and you pretend its gold because you don't want to hurt his feelings and tell him its a 1991 10c coin and neither rare or valuable at all. 

Also. In that 3 years they should have found time to colour code the bumpers, fit some basket weaves at least, maybe a IS or SE lip? Maybe then we could maybe see the price through the cloudy meth pipe as being even remotely reasonable? 

Wow! At least that FB coupe has a manual gearbox... Unsure where these people are finding their price tags.

11 minutes ago, Neil McCauley said:

Saw that - looks like a great build, imagine it owes him plenty but yeah, I would think in this market its much closer to $25k than $40k.

A shame it must be certed on 14x6.5 wheels with an M52.

I dont see anyone buying it for 40k either but at least there is some merit to the pricing, not your typical buy\hold\sell or heavily aesthetics bias owners like most of these overpriced listings. Unless he's failed to mention it im surprised he didnt do the subframe\trailing arm bushings and adjusters, go to be the most under rated E30 mod ever.  

• Like 1

Park it beside the red 840ci (manual!) that The Toy Shop has for sale for the ultimate 90’s BMW garage. 

IMG_4908.jpeg

• Like 5

Just seen an ex-PFL M20B25 (engine only) offered for sale. Seller says unknown history and recommends new gaskets, water pump, tensioner, etc, etc.

$2750.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, gjm said:

Just seen an ex-PFL M20B25 (engine only) offered for sale. Seller says unknown history and recommends new gaskets, water pump, tensioner, etc, etc.

$2750.

sold mine last year for 2800, bare engine, no ancillaries, they are getting harder to find so people pay good money for them these days. Especially the m20b25s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMTHUG said:

sold mine last year for 2800, bare engine, no ancillaries, they are getting harder to find so people pay good money for them these days. Especially the m20b25s

I was extremely unsure of where the market might be in reference to these so was careful to post what I'd seen, with no value-related comment!

Hard to believe given the value that it was written off. Never seen a red interior before and that’s some quality work to locate the aftermarket mic for Bluetooth. 
Surely  that will be back on the road?

Very sad 😪 Hopefully some nice person restores it!

Oh damn! I was chatting to the owner at the Mt Smart M fest, hell of a nice guy - was an aircraft engineer for the Airforce I recall? The patina on this car is amazing, the engine still has cosmoline all over it - a truly honest unrestored example.

As luck would have it I'll be in Auckland this arvo, will have to swing past and check it out - I'll definitely be having a bid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vass said:

Don't see these on there too often. NZ new, later model and looks very tidy apart from the front end damage. Will probably fetch a pretty penny still. Parts car anyone?

Looks to be the one i saw on the back of the tow truck coming up country last week, did’t notice the front damage.

I knew that E30 front cut garden ornament would come in handy.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

Oh damn! I was chatting to the owner at the Mt Smart M fest, hell of a nice guy - was an aircraft engineer for the Airforce I recall? The patina on this car is amazing, the engine still has cosmoline all over it - a truly honest unrestored example.

As luck would have it I'll be in Auckland this arvo, will have to swing past and check it out - I'll definitely be having a bid.

Yeah, he was at the Jahre event - I seem to recall he's been dailying it for yonks?

Surely takes more than that to write off a $30k plus car?

Looks pretty minor in terms of damage for a frontal, that front radiator support is mostly sacrificial and will collapse and tear from the chassis. Quite an easy part to remove and replace. Looks like the bumper's and bumper shocks got missed or did their job and aren't affected, bumper and Mtech2 valance seem to be still sitting in the right space.

Would be a shame to part that out, quite easily repairable with a new bonnet, valance, replace the radiator core support (still available new) and a few things crushed on the front of the motor like the radiator, distributor, waterpump etc. Even the fenders look unscathed only some minor damage to the right one. 

• Like 1