Jacko

The 130i Thread

11 hours ago, Jadon said:

Also can it be tuned so the car won’t auto shift when in manual shift mode. Thanks 

If you put the selector in sport then select a gear it will stay in that gear. 

20 hours ago, Driftit said:

But the guys a few pages back said it is the most comfortable.
The single mass flywheels are much cheaper and have more of a sporty feel to it.  But you can suffer from vibration etc.

11 hours ago, Palazzo said:

There’s a kit on Spareto with conversion to single mass as well. Valeo, €442.

I did read about that. The SMF conversion kit is indeed significantly cheaper than DMF+clutch. However, it is my DD so I'm not sure how I'll find the SMF for daily commuting. Then again, I used to drive manual japanese cars like ek9, zc31s, and 350z so maybe it not going to be too bad.. 🤔 

Forgot to mention.  There are a couple of E87's at Pick a Part in Wellington.
Pretty stripped.  One of them was a late model motorsport.  Had really nice half leather LCI door cards.  I was going to grab them.  Then found someone had taken just one of them.....
All the FRM3 modules were gone.  I did pull out a FRMA module that I left inside the car in a dry spot.
I did grab the LCI's parcel tray.  I didn't realize pre-LCI cars had such a rubbish one.

6 hours ago, Vass said:

So this guy got cert for just the wheels & spacers? Does look a nice setup though.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/4720878572?bof=DWbwwFsI

I "think" this is a car a looked at a few years ago for someone on here, at the time it had a bird sh*t welded 120 back box on it, dead clutch throwout bearing, and the rear arches were chewed out and cracked paint from poor fitment. Trying to find pics I took to confirm rego.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I "think" this is a car a looked at a few years ago for someone on here, at the time it had a bird sh*t welded 120 back box on it, dead clutch throwout bearing, and the rear arches were chewed out and cracked paint from poor fitment. Trying to find pics I took to confirm rego.

That was for me, if it is the same car 

• Like 1

Has anyone had their 130i manually converted? If so how much did it cost? 

Also has anyone done a GM6L45 to ZF 6hp swap? This article makes for some interesting reading.

https://www.xautomotive.com/blogs/news/from-gm-to-zf-6hp

Edited by Herbmiester

8 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Also has anyone done a GM6L45 to ZF 6hp swap? This article makes for some interesting reading.

https://www.xautomotive.com/blogs/news/from-gm-to-zf-6hp

I don't understand why you would want to do this auto to auto swap.  The GM box is actually pretty good.  It is common, cheap and changes pretty quickly when in sport.
My one was even abused by only having 3ltrs of trans oil in it for quite some time.  That was nearly 70,000kms ago.  Still running good.

All manual conversion parts I have seen are crazy expensive.  You would be best to speak with Brent (BMWorld) or Ray (HellBM).
It is why I snapped up this pretty average manual the moment I saw it.  I could strip the box and conversion parts out and sell them for more than I paid.
Turns out I feel sorry for it and am now fixing it up...

Buy James 130i manual for $7k.  Swap all your good bits into it.  Sell yours.

Edited by Driftit

Well I actually quite like Autos, especially the 8HP,  but an XHp 6HP is a fast shifting box. Also I already have a manual BMW and the 130 get driven by my wife and she hates manuals in Wellington traffic. The GM when its not suffering from a dying torque converter is ok, but not in the same league as a 6HP, and but my torque converter is on its way out, and it's about 2k for a rebuild. As you have mentioned a manual swap is big dollars 5k or more. 

What's up with James 130l? Where is that for sale? 

How can you tell which auto box you have? Are there any ways of knowing without jacking the car up and finding a part number?

20 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

I bought a half converted one for cheap and finished the job. It's pretty easy really. You have to do the mechanical conversion, wire in the clutch and reverse switch. Code the relevant modules and it's done. That era of BMW is pretty modular and easy to swap.

Weitz had a 130i manual conversion for sale at $3k for ages. Not sure if it ever sold. 

7 hours ago, Jadon said:

How can you tell which auto box you have? Are there any ways of knowing without jacking the car up and finding a part number?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Just make sure you select LCI if you have one.

It will be a GM box.

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
Just make sure you select LCI if you have one.

It will be a GM box.

It is the ga6hp box which I assume is the gm box. What cars came out with the zf boxes? 
I assume the xhp tune will not work on the gm box then.

52 minutes ago, Xander said:

Is James a known user of this forum? I was looking in to this car couple weeks back, but got put off by them stating they did all the work themselves, mileage and no papers.

Know the car well and the owner. 

You're more than fine. 

PS yes he is one of the OG administrators on here.

• Like 1

Buy with confidence, James changes the oil in his cars probably more than his undies and never takes them to redline. 

James is nothing short of a car connoisseur extraordinaire, a veritable maestro of vehicular mastery. When it comes to purchasing a car, look no further than James, for he is the embodiment of automotive expertise and integrity. With an encyclopedic knowledge of automobiles and a passion that burns brighter than a thousand suns, James meticulously curates only the finest selection of vehicles for his discerning clientele.

With James at the helm, rest assured that every aspect of your car-buying journey will be orchestrated with precision and care. From the moment you set foot on his lot, you'll be greeted with a warmth and sincerity that rivals the embrace of an old friend. His attention to detail is unparalleled, ensuring that each vehicle is not only in impeccable condition but also comes with a comprehensive history that leaves no stone unturned.

But James is more than just a purveyor of cars; he is a trusted advisor, a sage in the world of automotive transactions. His transparency knows no bounds, as he lays bare every detail of the vehicle's maintenance history, sparing no expense in ensuring full disclosure and peace of mind for his customers. Whether it's the mileage, the maintenance records, or the paperwork, James leaves no room for doubt or uncertainty.

In the realm of car sales, James reigns supreme, a beacon of honesty and integrity in a sea of uncertainty. So, when it comes time to embark on your next automotive adventure, remember this: James isn't just the best guy to buy a car from – he's the only choice for those who demand nothing but the absolute best.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

James has ChatGPT

• Haha 3

Little bit more and I might hear James is chuck Norris 🤣, thanks for the feedback on the elusive James 

Some headers for sale on facebook if anyones keen. 

Screenshot 2024-05-26 095221.png

Umm. Love the "bends". 

Screenshot_20240526_165231_Brave.jpg

• Haha 1