Jacko

The 130i Thread

Looks like it's had a visit to the same exhaust shop as seems to work on the Golf GTi Mk V's I see around welly...straight pipe from headers probably

Some of you might have noticed my car disappearing off trademe, but I didn't sell it! I actually did start to get some decent interest with some offers not too far off the asking price but in the end that just made me realise that I didn't really want to sell it afterall. It is way too much fun and I really couldn't see anything I wanted to drive more for similar money.

On another note, I'd been getting pretty terrible fuel economy in it, averaging 11.5-12 l/100km on my daily commute. Having seen how much better fuel economy other people get I was wondering whether I had faulty injectors, or something else wrong to make it so bad. Then I decided to try driving it a bit more sensibly, and now for the last 6 weeks or so I have consistently averaged around 9.5 l/100km on the same commute!! Just goes to show... 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Some of you might have noticed my car disappearing off trademe, but I didn't sell it! I actually did start to get some decent interest with some offers not too far off the asking price but in the end that just made me realise that I didn't really want to sell it afterall. It is way too much fun and I really couldn't see anything I wanted to drive more for similar money.

On another note, I'd been getting pretty terrible fuel economy in it, averaging 11.5-12 l/100km on my daily commute. Having seen how much better fuel economy other people get I was wondering whether I had faulty injectors, or something else wrong to make it so bad. Then I decided to try driving it a bit more sensibly, and now for the last 6 weeks or so I have consistently averaged around 9.5 l/100km on the same commute!! Just goes to show... 🤣

Glad you stayed with us! tbh i think im also getting around 11.5-12 l/100km otherwise i could get it down to 9-10 if it wasnt for my 135i exhaust retrofit haha making my car burble +pops and bangs lol. But other than that i've been working from home and only drive my car 2-4 times a week soo i guess spending money on fuel isnt too bad as it can compensate the times I dont drive my car on a working day :)

15 hours ago, HJ130i said:

Definitely has me guessing! 

i still have the factory backbox soo holla at me if keen lol otherwise i'd go with an aftermarket or 135i retrofit

2 minutes ago, Angelo said:

Glad you stayed with us! tbh i think im also getting around 11.5-12 l/100km otherwise i could get it down to 9-10 if it wasnt for my 135i exhaust retrofit haha making my car burble +pops and bangs lol. But other than that i've been working from home and only drive my car 2-4 times a week soo i guess spending money on fuel isnt too bad as it can compensate the times I dont drive my car on a working day :)

Haha I know what you mean, it is hard to be restrained at times! But unfortunately I do 400+ km per week so it makes a pretty big difference to the weekly bill!!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'm the same, decided to keep mine as well and do it up slowly.

Mine's hovering at 9L/100km with combined travel, way better than the X5 currently 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelo said:

i still have the factory backbox soo holla at me if keen lol otherwise i'd go with an aftermarket or 135i retrofit

Yeah hearing my old car on your Instagram has me wanting the whole lot back! 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Haha I know what you mean, it is hard to be restrained at times! But unfortunately I do 400+ km per week so it makes a pretty big difference to the weekly bill!!

Don't know anything about what you are done to your engine but O2 sensors may help. You can data log them to see, but i find they are slow on most older cars. Replacing them usually improves fuel mileage and throttle response when ive done them in my own BMW's after checking everything else.

• Like 1

My average is 8.8l/100kms at the moment.  90% open road.  Give it a bit of sh*t daily but mostly open road cruising.

I get around 11l/100kms int the E55.  Which is always way nicer on the open road.

I really need to retrofit Cruise control to my 130.  I should start hunting for the gear.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Driftit said:

I get around 11l/100kms int the E55.  Which is always way nicer on the open road.

...Really? My E55K should have come with a towbar for the oil refinery it needed to tow around. The E63 that replaced it was positively frugal in comparison, despite the headbolts it decided to consume. 

Was it as bad before the MILV flash?

FWIW I got https://www.injectortech.co.nz/index.htm to clean and bench test the injectors I have (still) sitting on the N52 on stand here. Was fast and good service. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jacko said:

Was it as bad before the MILV flash?

FWIW I got https://www.injectortech.co.nz/index.htm to clean and bench test the injectors I have (still) sitting on the N52 on stand here. Was fast and good service. 

Yeah it pretty much stayed the same as it was after the MILVs and flash. Although I never used to get as bad as 11.5-12 l/100km unless I was really stuck in traffic. Living in a really hilly area (Titirangi) really doesn't help though, a cold engine driving straight up hill is a thirsty combo!

Edited by Matt

13 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

...Really? My E55K should have come with a towbar for the oil refinery it needed to tow around. The E63 that replaced it was positively frugal in comparison, despite the headbolts it decided to consume. 

The open road driving in it is really good.
My last 3 fills.
68.61L @522km's (Mostly Town Driving) = 13.14/100km
67.24L @607km's (Mostly Open Road Commute) = 11.08/100km
70.83L @616km's (Mostly Open Road Commute) = 11.50/100km

NZ new, well looked after, new tyres, 98 or above.  Tried NPD 100 and it made zero difference.

I have however seen 28L/100kms as my average use.  When towing the old E30 series car to Taupo.  The laser jammer did save me from a ticket that trip.

But I mainly use my 130i as my commuter.  Is perfect for the job bar not having any cruise control.  High 8's is the goal without having to feather it around.  Ton of road works at the moment is seeing that number climb quite quickly.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

Ive stopped monitoring mine, as its not daily, but 130i manual prefl on my regular commute and I was geting 9.3l/100km (mostly open road to be fair).

Eurotrash skoda is averaging 7.5ish as a comparison

I'm just chucking each fill into a logging app.  Mainly to track how much money I am burning on cars.  All of it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starter motor died. Is there any reason to avoid a ATL one from Schmiedmann for $200 vs buying a bosch one locally for $400 vs buying a genuine one for a million bux?

Id go Bosch, its not a fun job that you want to do multiple times, unless particularly sadistic. No idea if ATL is any good or not, but for $200 I wouldnt bother chancing it.  

51 minutes ago, Jamez said:

Starter motor died. Is there any reason to avoid a ATL one from Schmiedmann for $200 vs buying a bosch one locally for $400 vs buying a genuine one for a million bux?

FCP euro, was $350Nz delivered during lockdown. Probably be cheaper in the Balck Friday sale tomorrow 

20 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

FCP euro, was $350Nz delivered during lockdown. Probably be cheaper in the Balck Friday sale tomorrow 

Tomorrow.  It's only Thursday there at the moment.

37 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Tomorrow.  It's only Thursday there at the moment.

Yep that's correct, operating on no sleep is bad kids. 

1 hour ago, Brianr70 said:

would anyone know or recognize this 130i?  2008 BMW 130i M Sport | Trade Me Motors

It's been up a few times and hasn't sold... I'd want to know if the clutch was done alongside the engine.

Also, halogens on an import? That's odd, and halogens suck hard on these things.

• Like 2

Blegh, engine started ticking/tapping this morning. Good times.

Sounds like the hydraulic lifter thing, anyone had to deal with this?

Edited by Antallica

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

It's been up a few times and hasn't sold... I'd want to know if the clutch was done alongside the engine.

Also, halogens on an import? That's odd, and halogens suck hard on these things.

UK import, and been manual swapped, so take from that what you will.

It does have PDC and cruise though. 

• Like 2