Sign in to follow this  
M3AN

PSA: Cheap CTEK Charger @ Repco

I picked one of these up the other day and can confirm it's legit.

• CTEK MSX5.0 (5A) normally $190-$250 (Repco Link)
  • Currently available for $139 including accessories (Repco Link)

I don't think you'll get a better bargain than that for a CTEK, my M3 loves me for it because of the really low amperage maintenance mode.

For those wondering, 5A is fine for even a quite large vehicle battery.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Any idea if this is going to be the standard price going forward or an introductory special?

I paid $149 on sale two years ago (with a cooler bag and some accessories).  This is a tasty deal, buy a few to keep your fleet on trickle/maintain.

• Like 1

Had my one for around 10 years now.  Does it's job well.

Thats a very good deal. Ive had mine for years and it still works flawlessly. 

The Repco deal also has some sh*t hot deals on the higher amperage ones if you needed a 10A or something too.

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

Cheers, and done - Also adding a comfort connector in a section of replaceable plastic trim in the boot.

31011a_1613470687.jpeg

1 hour ago, Twistee said:

...Also adding a comfort connector in a section of replaceable plastic trim in the boot.

Interesting, how does that work? Replace the cigi lighter port in the trunk?

Great product, used one for years. Bit annoying that deal as I bought another one for my son at the normal price. Just out of interest, the NZ importer of these told me repco parallel import these. If that’s true i feel a bit sorry for the NZ importer that I bought from in my effort to support an NZ business.

11 hours ago, Twistee said:

Cheers, and done - Also adding a comfort connector in a section of replaceable plastic trim in the boot.

31011a_1613470687.jpeg

I have my connection point in the engine bay, a bit easier to do without cutting anything.

These look pretty cool.  Anyone have one?

Be handy for my cars in storage.

comfort_indicator_eyelet_m6_0.jpg

12 minutes ago, Driftit said:

These look pretty cool.  Anyone have one?

Be handy for my cars in storage.

comfort_indicator_eyelet_m6_0.jpg

Yes, I have one, it's in the kit linked above. Mine looks like your photo, not the one posted earlier though, not sure if they're the same thing.

They're great because I hardwired mine into the M3's engine bay and it just sits there, plug and play charging plus instant health/level monitoring.

Edit: the standard 5 amp CTEK doesn't come with one, only the bundle. The rubber edge case is also excellent for protecting surfaces from bumps. 

Edited by M3AN

FWIW it seems like Repco are delivering these for free. At checkout I had two choices, click and collect or courier for ~$7.50 - I chose click and collect because a Repco is 150m from my front door. I didn't expect to be able to collect it until L3 and that was fine.

I got an email this morning saying it was ready for collection but not to come until I received a SMS advising me to do so.

I've just received a tracking number from NZ Post saying that the item has been collected for delivery... I bet the van will drive past my house on the way to the depot.

Back, but more expensive again at $149 although still a good deal IMO.

This one loses the rubber bumper case (which is a bummer), but upgrade the carry case dramatically.

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/globes-batteries-electrical/battery-chargers-power-accessories/car-battery-chargers/ctek-12v-5-amp-battery-charger-value-pack-40-516/p/A6212866?

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Back, but more expensive again at $149 although still a good deal IMO.

This one loses the rubber bumper case (which is a bummer), but upgrade the carry case dramatically.

https://www.repco.co.nz/en/globes-batteries-electrical/battery-chargers-power-accessories/car-battery-chargers/ctek-12v-5-amp-battery-charger-value-pack-40-516/p/A6212866?

Given the MXS5.0 Battery Charger included in this kit lists at $237 on it's own, this is certainly a good deal for the kit in a case.

These are great.  I am still using my first gen one.  Even after I drove off with it still attached.  Easy fix.
But I am about to buy a multi bank smart maintainer.  Something like this.  Anyone using something similar?

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2X4-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B08FYS6CL8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=battery+maintainer+multiple+batteries&qid=1661465362&sr=8-3

I have 3 x 12v and 1 x 6v to maintain.

That looks great, it's a pity that we pay a premium for some things though. There is a CAT branded heavy duty 12v power supply that does all the amps on a dolly for under $100 in the US, but they are way more over here. They are the perfect tool for keeping the battery going when coding or fault finding, and seem to be the go to overseas. 

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

These are great.  I am still using my first gen one.  Even after I drove off with it still attached.  Easy fix.
But I am about to buy a multi bank smart maintainer.  Something like this.  Anyone using something similar?

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2X4-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B08FYS6CL8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=battery+maintainer+multiple+batteries&qid=1661465362&sr=8-3

I have 3 x 12v and 1 x 6v to maintain.

Depends on whether you're happy with 2A which is quite low. That would be a great charger if it was able to offer the full 8A to each bank so if you were only using one you got 8A, or 2x4A, etc.

Yeah it will only be a maintainer or slow charger.  It's just for the 3 cars that don't get a ton of use and one scooter.  Will carry the CTEK around with me.  Good for the track etc.

On 8/26/2022 at 3:45 PM, Driftit said:

Yeah it will only be a maintainer or slow charger.  It's just for the 3 cars that don't get a ton of use and one scooter.  Will carry the CTEK around with me.  Good for the track etc.

I have 2 NOCO 2x4 chargers at work, they're awesome. I got them here in NZ from some outfit in Wellington 

Have 3 or 4 various CTEK, also awesome 

Have some off brand garbage, supercheap and such, absolute poo

• Like 1