Cement

Blue Chunder: E46 318Ci / VQ37VHR Swap + Other Stuff

Corinthian drive. Car sounds good.

Edited by MD13
  • Like 1

Got a dyno session booked in tomorrow which is pretty exciting. Going with Edgell Performance who will let me do the tuning (and lots of learning !!) and provide a mandatory staff member to operate the dyno and provide guidance which is perfect for where I am at.

To get ready for the dyno session I got a few things done which I've been meaning to for a while:

• Wired in a 3.5mm stereo jack to the OEM knock sensors based on the schematic from UpRev (https://uprev.com/documentation/Knock Listen Device.pdf). I can either listen to this feed directly via a portable headphone amp (https://www.fiio.com/a3) or feed it into the laptop to reduce all of the frequencies but around 6kHz where my knock should occur. This is done via a USB device (https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0484) as basically every microphone input i only mono and I need stereo. Using Equalizer APO for the audio manipulation, which works great after some initial issues.
  • Calibrated the crank case vacuum sensor voltage output since I'm feeding that now directly into the Arduino for display on my custom display. Used a simple vacuum generator and big cheap gauge. Will be interesting on the dyno to actually be able to watch what vacuum is pulled when up in the RPM's ... will also see if we can measure some hp gain from running a higher vacuum.
  • Not mandatory but I sorted out a 'proper' shifter boot as the previous one had lost its seal and was letting in all sorts of horrible gearbox chatter thanks to the light weight single mass flywheel. Using a steering rack boot now and a new 3D printed enclosure to snugly fit the boot.
  • Got some templated views ready in MegaLogViewer HD for different tuning activities.

Outside of getting dyno ready I also received my two power supply boards to use with the new Orange Pi ... these are super cool and will allow the Pi to have time to shut down cleanly after ignition off etc.

Also located a 3D model of the Rotrex C38R centrifugal super charger which I printed out for fun ... might be 2024 makeover 🤪

2023-04-15_20-50-10.jpg.23354f26fa3716ccac069b6492493881.jpg

2023-04-04_19-27-06.jpg.1204a263abc77a6fcb816fa02aaec517.jpg

2023-04-23_17-10-04.thumb.jpg.3a0a7548d20294fedf3afb5e26559f3a.jpg

2023-04-23_16-52-32.jpg.38c68470b202eb04ca6e6d4961d9fe1b.jpg

2023-04-21_16-51-15.jpg.8b7fd12d3ef5fd166c6ce8953fca8ad2.jpg

• Like 1

Back from the dyno in one piece :D Made 306hp / 228kW at the hubs which seems fairly good compared to the factory numbers for the VQ37. The OEM tuning had things pretty well under control so was not a whole lot of additional torque / power to pickup and ironically the biggest improvement was from replacing the crank case breather with a rubber bung with a small hole in it 😂 This let the crank case run at about a 4psi vacuum due to the dry sump ... aiding ring seal and reducing windage.

Will go over the CSV exports from the dyno and see if I can whip up a start / end graph or something fun.

• Like 3

Back into the main project thread with another side project, might start a dedicated thread in case its of use for folks at some point. I will have a crack at making custom PCB's / circuits for the steering wheel controls. Both sides of it for:

• Cruise control buttons which will go to the Nissan ECU which expects a resistance ladder. BMW has some data based solution.
  • Radio control buttons to go to the Alpine head unit, which also expects a resistance ladder. Can't see the point in trying to use some 3rd party adapter box when I will be messing with the cruise side anyways.

Early days but will get the OEM boards out of the wheel this weekend so i can model the shape and button locations.

Picture is of starting to look at the cruise signals ... but making some micro controller to take these signals and then some how output a varied resistance / voltage would be somewhat silly.

2023-06-28_21-19-48.jpg.90734c40eb124497ca8ef283d346970e.jpg

Edited by Cement
  • Like 1

You know things are well thought out if you can make through a dyno session with minimal issues. Great effort! I fall into the "I thought I had thought of everything" camp, until the dyno session and then it all turns to custard. Nearly burnt down one of builds when the fuel pump bulk head connector wiring melted. Lots of respect for your work here. Would love to see it in the flesh one day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Twistee said:

You know things are well thought out if you can make through a dyno session with minimal issues. Great effort! I fall into the "I thought I had thought of everything" camp, until the dyno session and then it all turns to custard. Nearly burnt down one of builds when the fuel pump bulk head connector wiring melted. Lots of respect for your work here. Would love to see it in the flesh one day.

I think it's fairly common to have some issues on the dyno, I guess it's a concentrator and highlighter of things that might not show on the street given the nature of it !! Also relatively low power and no power adder makes it more relaxed :)

Bit of an update to the steering wheel control stuff, turns out the Alpine head unit doesn't use a resistance ladder for it's input ... that was just my naive assumption it seems :D Instead it apparently uses the same signal as the infrared remote !! There is some scattered info on the net about it at least so will get an IR receiver and transmitter for Arduino and see if I can capture from the remote then replay over the wire as a first experiment.

The cruise control side of things it seems will be easier in that i will just replicate the Nissan spec on a new / custom PCB and wire it through.

@Cement what are you using for a vacuum pump? Just finished building a new motor and might be worth a look.

25 minutes ago, polley said:

@Cement what are you using for a vacuum pump? Just finished building a new motor and might be worth a look.

I have a 4 stage dry sump pump so no stand alone vacuum pump as such ... tis one pressure and three scavenge stages.

19 minutes ago, Cement said:

I have a 4 stage dry sump pump so no stand alone vacuum pump as such ... tis one pressure and three scavenge stages.

Ah yes, cool. I only just came across your thread, not sure how i missed it. Cool build.

• Like 1

Rightio, have started a dedicated thread for the steering wheel controls ... tune on in if interested :P

Got the new tyres ahead of the wheels which are still looking like September. They sure look big when not on the car !! 235 and 255 PS5's.

2023-07-24_18-25-01.thumb.jpg.666de66cab08d6b74800ed9dcf5f976d.jpg

• Like 2

Got the roof finished bar the weather strips finally, see the other thread for more detail. Also had the windows tinted to keep the heat down in summer ... hopefully this makes a big difference.

2023-08-08_08-06-57.jpg.475ea5542dd8d5e5078534ace584c166.jpg

• Like 1

Wheels are finally on a ship and have left Japan, should be here at the end of the month all going well 🤞

Also re-jiggled my custom data display and it looks a lot more in theme with more subdued colours (when nothing is wrong). Really hard to capture properly in an image but you get the idea ... hopefully :)

2023-09-03_17-24-30.thumb.jpg.b454608e638144ec2a8159d931b68d68.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cement said:

I've gone for a classic with JDM twist of course (and because they were cheaper than Apex !!) 😆

18x8.5 +38 in the front with 235/40

18x9.5 +38 in the back with 255/35

https://www.work-wheels.com.au/work/emotion-m8r

image.png.8617036869a1fcc03879beba2f524dd2.png

Ahhh yes - these are going to look fantastic and with the PS5s should transform the car!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sammo said:

Ahhh yes - these are going to look fantastic and with the PS5s should transform the car!

I hope so !! Would have preferred a straight silver instead of the funky 'Glim Black' but can't wait to get them on. Hopefully traction improves :)

1 hour ago, cleanish_e46 said:

Just read through this whole thing. Amazing. 

Thankyou so much !! Glad it was an interesting read, never had so many notifications hah

Might start another thread on the next side project of making custom gauge faces. This is so I can finally fix the RPM gauge (needs more numbers) and maybe add some other special herbs n spices. Have drawn out the outline so far but the question remains around how I will make to OEM quality on plastic etc 🤔

2023-09-05_20-11-55.thumb.jpg.e6c4fb8f131b955dce3387dc01d9075c.jpg

On 9/5/2023 at 9:31 PM, cleanish_e46 said:

You must be local if that tyre shop in Glenfield is. I'd love to see this thing mate, I can bring the beer!

Sorry just seen I never replied, am on the shore yep :) Keen to come along to any local events and the Meguiar's Coffee & Cars etc so folks can have a poke around 👍

Got the new wheels last week and they look pretty good, just needs to drop slightly (10 in the back 15 in the front) and it'll be looking much better overall.

2023-10-26_18-27-29.thumb.jpg.872cff2c0cb73b5bcb08aad86ba213fe.jpg

2023-10-26_18-29-42.thumb.jpg.e1ff70ff0f37a66c582e70374a5a7ebe.jpg

2023-10-26_19-47-00.thumb.jpg.5645770a73c9e729aeeddf4737e574fa.jpg

2023-10-28_15-16-17.thumb.jpg.3bfb202dc741845bdc777e9f4c4e8694.jpg

• Like 7

Are the undertrays just taken off for the picture or you're not running any at all? Won't be looking as clean and shiny for too long without them.

4 hours ago, Vass said:

Are the undertrays just taken off for the picture or you're not running any at all? Won't be looking as clean and shiny for too long without them.

I've never actually put the main tray back on but it seems to be staying relatively tidy at the moment. Trying to source the new front bumper at the moment so might get it on there after that materialises 👍

Any photos of them without the center caps? Could be just me but i feel like would look better.

• Like 1

Missed these updates - wheels looking great and that belly shot!!

• Like 1