Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Chip

Torque wrench recommendations?

Admins please move the thread if inappropriate here.

What’s everyone using for their torque wrench? Any reviews of particular brands? Looking to invest in a lifelong tool so durability will be preferred. Thinking that I don’t need to get all 3 sizes, so maybe just 1/2” and either 1/4” or 3/8” - thoughts?? Will be looking at using at anything from wheel nuts to engine rebuilding. Cheers!

Edited by Ghost Chip

Not much on a car needs  1/4" torque wrench. Get a 3/8th and use a 3/8-1/4 adapter if you need one. (I have a 1/4" torque wrench, but it's used on bicycles.)

Manufacturer... @C-130 Hercules Hazet suggestion is a goo one. Don't bother with SnapOn (or similar) - try BluePoint instead. Facom are also very good.

• Thanks 1

1/4 is very handy, for a home mechanic I've never needed anything bigger than 3/8, might be different if you're working on tractors. I'd say the gap between 1/4 and 1/2 is probably too wide, heaps of stuff you'll want to to will be somewhere between their capabilities whereas the 3/8 can get right up there.

Mine a very middling Kincrome from Bunnings (or Mitre 10, can't remember) and they're fine for what I need, if I were to replace them I'd probably step up a grade to Teng to match the result of my tools... but I don't see needing t replace them in a hurry.

Edit: I wrote mine before Graham posted and I wasn't directly refuting his comments on 1/4. Nevertheless, 1/4 is very handy for smaller stuff like VANOS and for getting into tight spaces.

Edited by M3AN
  • Thanks 1

You going need at least 2 wrenches to cover the typical ranges.

A 3\8" ~20-100nm and a 1\2" ~70-350nm would cover just about everything. You could add in a 1\4" ~5-30nm if you wanted to get fussy on the low torque stuff. 

Toptul are one of the best quality options for the price. You could get a 3\8" and 1\2" in the above ranges for just over $400. Good support here in NZ also. 

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depends on how much you want to spend obviously - for occasional DIY use, I have these in a 1/2" and 1/4" (to cover wide nm range on a budget)

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/kincrome-1-2-micrometer-torque-wrench_p0227823

Seem fine for someone who does minor DIY and outsources the bigger jobs - if you're more serious about wrenching would be worth investing in higher quality.

• Thanks 1

Facom / Toptul / Koken / Teng I've used professionally and rated. Ive got Toptul for personal use.

I'm eyeing up the Milkwaukee digital range that can also measure to a torque and then an additional degree rating for things that require an angle after being torqued. More of a want than a need though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One recommendation i'll make is to check the scale. If you mainly work on metric stuff (bmws, japanese etc), make sure the NM scale is what lines up with the round figures. One of my most used ones has the rounded scale line up with lb-ft and its a pain to use NM instead.

I have all three scales. The 1/2" is mostly used for wheels, mounts, and suspension parts. 3/8" for engine parts, and the 1/4" is useful for valve covers and anything that needs a small, fine, scale (not that often but its damn handy when you do need it).

• Thanks 1

I have 4, all random brands from amazon, cost a couple of hundy all up and are decent enough quality for the home gamer... torque wrenches last forever provided you dont use them as hammers and reset them to zero after use.

1/4" is a must have for N52s, aluminium bolts that are all tiny torques. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the input and tips. For those that recommended other brands, where did you guys buy them from? They don’t seem to be in the common major stores (Bunnings, mitre 10, etc.)

Quality automotive tools don't really exist in hardware stores (NZ at least) 

mytools.co.nz

Decent selection and prices on asian stuff (not far off trade in many a case)

If you want European at a fair price then its Amazon or various international retailers around the globe. Primetools in Uk is good for facom if you specifically want them but shipping maybe a bit much in this case

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, M3AN said:

1/4 is very handy, for a home mechanic I've never needed anything bigger than 3/8, might be different if you're working on tractors. I'd say the gap between 1/4 and 1/2 is probably too wide, heaps of stuff you'll want to to will be somewhere between their capabilities whereas the 3/8 can get right up there.

Mine a very middling Kincrome from Bunnings (or Mitre 10, can't remember) and they're fine for what I need, if I were to replace them I'd probably step up a grade to Teng to match the result of my tools... but I don't see needing t replace them in a hurry.

Edit: I wrote mine before Graham posted and I wasn't directly refuting his comments on 1/4. Nevertheless, 1/4 is very handy for smaller stuff like VANOS and for getting into tight spaces.

As it turns out @Ghost Chip, I actually have 1/4" and 1/2" drives, not a 3/8" 🙄 So, in summary, I've not missed the 3/8"!

• Haha 1

Just now, M3AN said:

As it turns out @Ghost Chip, I actually have 1/4" and 1/2" drives, not a 3/8" 🙄 So, in summary, I've not missed the 3/8"!

👍 Same. I have a reducer for 1/2 to 3/8 sockets. 1/4 and 1/2 covers me from 5-200NM.

• Thanks 1

Warren and Brown have a good name and nice products. 

I run a digital Snap on 3/8" which goes from 5 - 140nm which is versatile and handy but not cheap at around $800 from memory. 

Also have a Cat micrometer action 3/8 and 1/2'' which were around $350aud each. 1/2" has good range 40-300nm and long handle. 

The Cat wrenches are old Snap On gear. 

Warren and Brown look to be identical to my Cat gear. 

Am in the trade and use them nearly everyday. Have owned the Cat stuff for around 7 years with no drama.  

Edited by coop
  • Thanks 1

If you have the money

https://shop.snapon.com/product/TechAngle-Models-(2%-Accuracy)/1-2"-Drive-TechAngle-Electronic-Torque-Wrench-(15-300-ft-lb)/ATECH3FR300B

It's the only snap on tool I own. Brings me alot of joy every time I use it. Costs enough that I also don't want to use it as a hammer or a pry bar. 

Also in the market for a 1/4 inch torque wrench

• Thanks 2

I have a 1/2” Hazet that I got from pelican, A Toolpro 3/8” from super cheap and a random 1/4”. They are all fine for DIYing and if I were to do it again I would still want all 3 but I’d go for the Teng’s.  

• Thanks 1

Trade Tools , Olive Road , Penrose . Its worth having a look ,not cheap but all good quality stuff

• Thanks 1

Update:

Finally arrived this morning! Ended up going with the Toptul 3/8” 19-110Nm as it suited my immediate needs, will probably buy as needed again in the future. Was going to use on the wheels today but totally forgot that I didn’t have a 3/8” to 1/2” converter - big fail 😂. Thanks for all the suggestions!

7B8C8D10-A07C-4851-8115-BDC825F3D5F0.jpeg

Edited by Ghost Chip
  • Like 3