Sign in to follow this  
gofaster

A "what car would you buy" question...

Firstly, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place, but perhaps some fun for a Sunday afternoon.

In the near future, I would like to buy a road car, budget up to $35k max.

Need to live with it daily, (work only 6km away all city driving) plus occasional track event such as autocross and circuit sprints.

Must be manual, in the small to medium size and reliable (is there such a thing?).

Budget could extend to allow for an extra set of rims, semi-slicks and tune (circa $3k) or buy over time.

My shortlist below, interested in what others would choose given the criteria above.

*  Ford Fiesta Mk8 ST (or Mk7)

* Audi S1 (need to consider clutch upgrade if tuning)

* Hyundai i30N

Not a fan of the current Mini

Was considering a GR Yaris but it's a lot of $s tied up in 1 car and would involve selling my Nissan GTi-R.

(I know which one I would prefer in the garage in 5 years time, but both would cater for my grass events)

edit: i should note my N54 130i wont be in the garage in the near future, for those thinking why not use that.

Edited by gofaster
  • Like 1

Would be looking at a manual M235i.

Or a manual E82 135i manual / DCT with more to spend on mods etc

Given your current garage, and the daily commute that wouldn't even allow a fossil burner to warm up, I'd get a small electric car and invest the change in gold (for 2023 at least).

• Like 1

Megane RS265 Cup if you want to do track work. 

Otherwise yeah just get a work hack.

Edited by GorGasm

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Given your current garage, and the daily commute that wouldn't even allow a fossil burner to warm up, I'd get a small electric car and invest the change in gold (for 2023 at least).

Strange you should mention Gold Dave, that was another option but you get ripped on pricing compared to the wholesale rate.

Anyone recommend a good bullion dealer?

Still leaves me with the track problem as dont want to use the ST150, a Mk7 ST180 could be a compromise with some Gold.

22 minutes ago, gofaster said:

Strange you should mention Gold Dave, that was another option but you get ripped on pricing compared to the wholesale rate.

Anyone recommend a good bullion dealer?

This is true, especially in NZ.

If you can get a good deal on a raw bullion transaction then go for that and simply put it in a secure box. Otherwise an Australian gold-based ETF is probably the best bet, fees tend to be relatively low as long as transaction volumes are also low, which should be true for gold. You can also find gold backed ETF's that allow you to cash out in bullion which is an attractive option (edit: of course you'll face both entry and exit fees but done smartly these won't be a relatively significant cost).

Edited by M3AN

Suzuki Swift Sport and a family vacation to Hawaii

Not manual but VW Golf R 

Edited by Gaz

18 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Not manual but VW Golf R 

and plenty left in the budget for the obligatory flat peak and fart tune

7 minutes ago, Neil McCauley said:

and plenty left in the budget for the obligatory flat peak and fart tune

Discounted VWs as they tend to be bland on the track and I am more discreet with my cars so no pops/farts/bangs/jiggles

I dont want to have to do more than bolt on the tyres whenever I head to the track.

I would get this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/porsche/cayman/listing/3895845085

I know it has the "cheap 911" reputation but go drive one, TRUST ME. 

My 987 Boxster is the best car I have driven to date. Steering feel, shift throw, flat 6 howl, weight balance etc, its just all bang on point. 987 Cayman would be even better because convertible roof is annoying when it isn't a perfect day AND its just that bit more rigid. To be fair though, roadster on a sunny day is absolutely awesome. Plus that Cayman is poised for value gains being 1) MANUAL and 2) Uncommon colour. 

If you can deal with having two seats because they are mid engined you get a front boot and a rear boot so there's tons of storage space, and it would also kick ass on a track day, and still be comfy and reliable for daily driver duties. Bonus: they're good on fuel, I get 11s per 100 around town when I boot it places, and in the 7s on long trips. 

I drove an E90 M3 the other day, and the steering, driving position, interior quality etc is just sub par to the Porsche. I'm sure a few forum members with M3s may contest this but honestly its really hard to beat some of the mid 2000s Porsche products with hydraulic steering, and the goldilocks levels of driving aids (not too much, not too little), and 3 pedals... 

p.s: I am selling my manual Boxster if you do fancy a Roadster. $20K and its yours. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kees said:

I would get this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/porsche/cayman/listing/3895845085

I know it has the "cheap 911" reputation but go drive one, TRUST ME. 

My 987 Boxster is the best car I have driven to date. Steering feel, shift throw, flat 6 howl, weight balance etc, its just all bang on point. 987 Cayman would be even better because convertible roof is annoying when it isn't a perfect day AND its just that bit more rigid. To be fair though, roadster on a sunny day is absolutely awesome. Plus that Cayman is poised for value gains being 1) MANUAL and 2) Uncommon colour. 

If you can deal with having two seats because they are mid engined you get a front boot and a rear boot so there's tons of storage space, and it would also kick ass on a track day, and still be comfy and reliable for daily driver duties. Bonus: they're good on fuel, I get 11s per 100 around town when I boot it places, and in the 7s on long trips. 

I drove an E90 M3 the other day, and the steering, driving position, interior quality etc is just sub par to the Porsche. I'm sure a few forum members with M3s may contest this but honestly its really hard to beat some of the mid 2000s Porsche products with hydraulic steering, and the goldilocks levels of driving aids (not too much, not too little), and 3 pedals... 

p.s: I am selling my manual Boxster if you do fancy a Roadster. $20K and its yours. 

That is a nice looking car, although not so practical as a daily.

Wonder why it hasn't sold.

no to ragtops but thanks for the offer.

That is a nice looking Cayman, classic Porsche colour too and should have a known history being Nz new.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:02 PM, lord_jagganath said:

Fiat 500 Abarth Turbo. no joke, those things are potent. 

I think these would be a hoot, but at each price point the Fiesta ST would step up.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:43 PM, Gaz said:

Not manual but VW Golf R 

+1 on the Golf R. Even in DSG format they are epic. Mk7.5 is peak Golf R in my opinion.

TBH everything listed so far is meh.  I would rather keep the N54 E87 for the track and get something suited to being a daily.  One car fits all rarely works.  Breaking your daily at the track is the worst.  And that Toybaru would break.  Often.  I have seen more Subaru's blow up at the track than any other brand by far.  Knock Knock, who's there?  Your big end bearings.

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

TBH everything listed so far is meh.  I would rather keep the N54 E87 for the track and get something suited to being a daily.  One car fits all rarely works.  Breaking your daily at the track is the worst.  And that Toybaru would break.  Often.  I have seen more Subaru's blow up at the track than any other brand by far.  Knock Knock, who's there?  Your big end bearings.

Thanks for the info re SubaruT's (not really a contender, it is just different) and the suggestion to keep the N54, but I want something less complicated and newer.

A Mk7/8 Fiesta is my favourite at the moment, they handle well out of the box (as my ST150 does), you can add a tune and have bolt on set of semi-slicks for track work, and I dont need to be at the front, a big grin would do it for me.

Certainly no autos/DSG, have to be in control of my changes particularly into and out of corners.

Cheers, John