Sign in to follow this  
gjm

330D... (expanded - needing a car for longish commute)

It looks likely that I have work, and is seems to be the case, it's really not as close to home as would be ideal. Oh well...

Driving about 180km a day

Quick thoughts on the merits of a 2004 E46 vs 2005 E90, both 330D ?

Edited by gjm

3 hours ago, gjm said:

It looks likely that I have work, and is seems to be the case, it's really not as close to home as would be ideal. Oh well...

Driving about 180km a day

Same M57 engine. 6 speed zf auto in the e90 will be more economical than the 5 speed in the e46. If the e46 is a msport and the e90 isn’t that might sway it for me. E46’s may be starting to rust

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gjm said:

E46 is still a great looking car design, in any shape, and especially in the facelift with MSport. 
E90 has never been that grate for me, and whilst it is slightly more modern the tech in them is now showing its age.

E46 for me every time, and can’t go wrong with the 330d especially for those distances. A 6 speed manual would be the unicorn.

• Like 2

Looks aside the E46 being more simple and generally cheaper to keep on the road is why id choose it (assuming both are in similar condition). 2004 will have the 'best' subframe floor version too. I know the in UK they have rust issues but the odds of that here are surely slim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil McCauley said:

I assume the blue M sport E46 330d 6spd on Marketplace got snapped up?

I didn't see it. :(

The E46 I've found is (according to Carjam) NZ new, first registered in NZ in late January 2004 but has an August 2002 build date. Hmm. Low mileage though. (I can change that. :) ) It has the usual M57 engine.

The E90 is ex-SA, first registered in NZ late February 2020 (originally registered in SA November 2005. This has the more powerful M57S engine. Higher but by no means silly mileage, and (as might be expected) slightly higher price. Still under $7k.

Both look good in pics (both are in Auckland), both are automatics, both are well-specced, both have good history and long current ownership, neither have any Motorsport options.

My feeling is that the E46 is the better bet for my purposes, is simpler to work on and will be cheaper to keep on the road. The E90 may have a removable towbar but that's not a deciding factor; the E46 has through-loading which may be useful.

No idea if either would be more economical at a constant 100km/h; Carjam suggests they would be the same, another site suggests perhaps a 0.1 l per 100km difference. If we get that far, perhaps have a chat with Pramod to optimise what is there.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

SA would move down the list for me. They aren't built quite the same. I'd take a german made one, every time.

Like how SA E30's rusted in the weirdest places.

• Like 1

M57S is the TU2 TOP is it not? Only offered in the 35d models / Alpina diesels. 

Without seeing actual spec sheets, the major difference I can think of is that the E46 will be iron block and the E90 aluminium. Factor in the weight they carved out of the E90 with copious uses of not-steel, and the argument for the E90 becomes stronger. 

There's some key maintenance items on an E90 diesel that need doing, but do them and you're golden - I've been stranded once in 50,000km (in my driveway of all places) and it was the comfort access module. 

1 hour ago, gjm said:

The E46 I've found is (according to Carjam) NZ new, first registered in NZ in late January 2004 but has an August 2002 build date. Hmm. Low mileage though. (I can change that. :) ) It has the usual M57 engine.

The E90 is ex-SA, first registered in NZ late February 2020 (originally registered in SA November 2005. This has the more powerful M57S engine. Higher but by no means silly mileage, and (as might be expected) slightly higher price. Still under $7k.

Both look good in pics (both are in Auckland), both are automatics, both are well-specced, both have good history and long current ownership, neither have any Motorsport options.

My feeling is that the E46 is the better bet for my purposes, is simpler to work on and will be cheaper to keep on the road. The E90 may have a removable towbar but that's not a deciding factor; the E46 has through-loading which may be useful.

No idea if either would be more economical at a constant 100km/h; Carjam suggests they would be the same, another site suggests perhaps a 0.1 l per 100km difference. If we get that far, perhaps have a chat with Pramod to optimise what is there.

If you’re planning to drive at night then I’d take the 330d with xenons, halogens on the e46 are dreadful. 204 vs 231 bhp as well. The e46 does have sport seats though and the e9x stock seats aren’t exactly supportive.

Edited by balancerider

OK - so the original post is looking increasingly like a balanced list of pros and cons. Nothing specifically wrong with either, but no clear winner.

@balancerider - I commuted an E46 320d for a few years, in all conditions. That had the standard E46 lights and while xenons are certainly better (and preferale), I'd be OK with the halogens.

Miss M came up with an alternative that I would never have considered. An E64 645Ci convertible. Like all cars (it seems) not without it's issues but if cared for seems capable of some big mileage. The N62B48 is likely a better engine, but I'd never expected to find a decent 645 in budget. Very tempting. I even find myself thinking "drive it for 12 months, sell it, get something else."

IMO the N62 is a dog of an engine, with many well known, although serious, issues that they all seem to suffer eventually. Sure, you can fix them all one by one, but by that point you have spent thousands on just the engine, and havent even begun to work on the issues the E63/64 platform has. I'd take an E46, or even an E90, over another of those horrible land whales any day.

Theres a reason you are finding them in your budget...

Edited by KwS
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, KwS said:

Theres a reason you are finding them in your budget...

Disappointing. I've not looked at the E63/64 beyond "that's pretty!" before so finding one for less than expected was quite exciting. 

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Disappointing. I've not looked at the E63/64 beyond "that's pretty!" before so finding one for less than expected was quite exciting. 

When everything works, they do make really good open road/long distance cruisers though. Very comfortable and I imagine they would be super stable on the Autobahn. 

• Like 1

I see there’s an E90 325d that will have the better N57 3L diesel and M sport kit for 7.5k @gjm…probably worth a look, possibly some slightly dodgy history with change of plate but would be buying on condition at this end of the market

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/325d/listing/4315961185?bof=wDULWD9h

Edited by balancerider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

I see there’s an E90 325d that will have the better N57 3L diesel and M sport kit for 7.5k @gjm…probably worth a look, possibly some slightly dodgy history with change of plate but would be buying on condition at this end of the market

N57 timing chain issue? 

Nah. Way more prevalent on the n47 and even then not that common. probably wouldn’t go for the recommended 30k km / 2 year oil change intervals though. This engine is in virtually every diesel x5 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

... wouldn’t go for the recommended 30k km / 2 year oil change intervals though.

Unbelievable that would be quoted by a manufacturer (although Ford US did specify a 50000km service interval for a very lazy V8 ute). Getting up there with 'sealed for life' and lifetime fluid in gearboxes.

5 hours ago, gjm said:

Unbelievable that would be quoted by a manufacturer (although Ford US did specify a 50000km service interval for a very lazy V8 ute). Getting up there with 'sealed for life' and lifetime fluid in gearboxes.

Makes for cheap 2-3 year leases then BMW can sell you a new one when something goes bang

• Haha 1

I have an e60 525d Motorsport for sale soon if you're interested Graham. Won't be a silly amount of money. around the 6.5k mark or cheaper if I you need something cheaper. I was going to do some paintwork on it  @gjm

Edited by BMTHUG
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, balancerider said:

Nah. Way more prevalent on the n47 and even then not that common. probably wouldn’t go for the recommended 30k km / 2 year oil change intervals though. This engine is in virtually every diesel x5 

Agreed. 10-15k service maybe cheap insurance for the cist of a service, or just do it yourself. 

Had a Ford diesel with that service interval period, serviced at Ford from brand new, blew up on us a few months out of warranty at just under 100,000km, Ford charged near 15k to fix it because there were no second hand motors available at the time, they refused to accept that it was a manufacturers problem... then the next year they extended the warranty from 3 to 5 years. FML Guess who never purchased a new Ford ever again. 

Edited by Apex
  • Sad 1

Cracking colour combo! I even love the wood. Probably a bit eggs bene, but potential is there after a couple of grand in bits.