E30stz

Quick Questions

This is stupid but is there a trick to removing centrecaps?

My wheels are like these:

Posted Image

I don't want to pry them off in case I break a clip or something.

Thanks

This is stupid but is there a trick to removing centrecaps?

My wheels are like these:

Posted Image

I don't want to pry them off in case I break a clip or something.

Thanks

Haha

Posted Image

Or anything you could think of to turn them off.

But don't turno too far! Turn it anticlockwise until it clicks, then it should just about fall off.

Where's my OBC port?

I found the 16 pin in the car. But dammed if I can find the 20 port under the hood.

I want to buy a scanner for my car.... Does mine only have the 16 pin port?

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/Diagnos...Peake_Tool.html

E39 M5 2002

Edited by M5V8

Where's my OBC port?

I found the 16 pin in the car. But dammed if I can find the 20 port under the hood.

I want to buy a scanner for my car.... Does mine only have the 16 pin port?

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/Diagnos...Peake_Tool.html

E39 M5 2002

I've only ever found the 16 pin one under the cover just above the driver's right knee on my 2002 E39. Think the 20 pin connector might have only been on 2000 and before models. A kit I bought came with a 16 pin female to 20 pin male adapter, you can have it if you want.

I've only ever found the 16 pin one under the cover just above the driver's right knee on my 2002 E39. Think the 20 pin connector might have only been on 2000 and before models. A kit I bought came with a 16 pin female to 20 pin male adapter, you can have it if you want.

That is correct - there was a short crossover period where they hade both, but the 16 pin by your right knee is the one to use.

Those Peake tools don't seem to do much for the money!

I got some "other" software from a guy on a UK forum - he's super helpful, and the software can be used for coding and eveything. PM me if you want his details.

What is the best tool for the money? What else can u do but check the codes and clear / reset the OBC?

I am about to buy a Z3 with 3 outstanding issues.

There is no radio antenna on the car, I have asked the current owner to get this fixed before the deal is done, is it difficult to get one any issues installing etc??

2nd issue which I have accepted and I will fix is that the heated seat on the drivers side is not working on the base, only on the back part of the seat. I think a new heater matrix needs to be installed in the seat. Who can do, how expensive..........,(sorry don't want to do this myself as not very handy)?

3rd issue

I took the car for a test drive which went fine, one small thing when I stopped at an intersection the engine just cut out. This happened only once and I stopped at other intersection with no issue. It started again straight away. I have a 530 as well and it has never done this. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or just treat it as a one off?

Car has upgraded m leather seats and is a 2000 Z3 2.2i, NZ new, full bmw service history and 56kms and appears to be in very good nick.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=584381892

Cheers

Edited by swanman

I am about to buy a Z3 with 3 outstanding issues.

There is no radio antenna on the car, I have asked the current owner to get this fixed before the deal is done, is it difficult to get one any issues installing etc??

2nd issue which I have accepted and I will fix is that the heated seat on the drivers side is not working on the base, only on the back part of the seat. I think a new heater matrix needs to be installed in the seat. Who can do, how expensive..........,(sorry don't want to do this myself as not very handy)?

3rd issue

I took the car for a test drive which went fine, one small thing when I stopped at an intersection the engine just cut out. This happened only once and I stopped at other intersection with no issue. It started again straight away. I have a 530 as well and it has never done this. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or just treat it as a one off?

Car has upgraded m leather seats and is a 2000 Z3 2.2i, NZ new, full bmw service history and 56kms and appears to be in very good nick.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=584381892

Cheers

i have a z3 aerial in stock.

and also new heater elements.

get it scanned for the staling fault , coul dbe a vac leak or faulty cam sensor etc

Hi all

I am about to start a E30 conversion. I am about to purchase a S50b30 M3 engine and transmission and I will be fitting that into the E30. I may even consider modifying the engine ie Turbo, Supercharger or upgraded cams etc...

I also will be upgrading the suspension and brakes so that I get i nice balanced car that can handle the power increase.

I have googled and there is a lot of overseas info some of which is conflicting.

There are very few NZ threads on this build though.

Is there anyone out there in our forum that has done this build?

If so I would love to have a chat

Edited by RAH

Quick question - what battery is recommended for an E46 318i (auto, PFL, Touring if it matters).

Did a quick search but nothing specific came up. The writing on the battery is all Japanese from what I can see.

Quick question - what battery is recommended for an E46 318i (auto, PFL, Touring if it matters).

Did a quick search but nothing specific came up. The writing on the battery is all Japanese from what I can see.

If you were still after it, should be a DIN53LMF.

They're not hard to match up, you look moreso at the physical size of the battery rather than the CCA rating because you can never have too much CCA as the car will only draw what current it needs and you're just increasing the cut off point. Would never recommend getting one of the cheapo batteries either.

Hi all

I am about to start a E30 conversion. I am about to purchase a S50b30 M3 engine and transmission and I will be fitting that into the E30. I may even consider modifying the engine ie Turbo, Supercharger or upgraded cams etc...

I also will be upgrading the suspension and brakes so that I get i nice balanced car that can handle the power increase.

I have googled and there is a lot of overseas info some of which is conflicting.

There are very few NZ threads on this build though.

Is there anyone out there in our forum that has done this build?

If so I would love to have a chat

Sorry, late to the party on this, but although i havent done that specific conversion, i have done the M52. if the forum you are reading from is based in the USA, just close the tab and find something else.

The US engines are totally different, and the S50s even more so. The USA S50 is basically a 3L M50 with some other bits, no ITBs or anything like that. The S52 is the same, and there is no Euro S52.

Planning to adjust the valves on my e30 (auto). I'm aware that you can can rotate the engine crankshaft using the fan pulley with a 22mm box wrench. Has anyone tried to rotate the crankshaft by cranking/starting the engine for a split second at a time until the lobe is pointing down?

I've seen some mechanics do this with distributor disconnected :unsure:

No I wouldn't do that especially if you have things jammed in there. It moves to fast and that's just lazy and asking for trouble. You can EASILY get a socket on the crank and turn it over slowly as required.

there is a e36 316i on trademe with a m52b28 transplant. The owner says the clutch is the standard one from the 316i. is this normal? I just assumed you would need a chunkier clutch plate etc for the m52.

Hi Matt would be asking some searching questions about it. What sort of flywheel was the original 316i running and what is the M52b28 running solid or dual mass as different clutch plates and possibly different pressure plates are required. If as you say a standard 316 clutch is being used with a 2.8ltr motor and no extra clamp pressure on the pressure plate I wouldn't hold out it lasting to long unless driven quietly. Also would a 4 cylinder clutch set up even fit the M52 b28 flywheel.

Probably because the 316 it's in he's just used the clutch / flywheel he had because it's a single mass. 316i manual and literally swaps just the motor..

So my heater in an e30 has been bypassed. Who would be the best person to take the car into to get it fixed? Or is it a DIY I could do? I assume I would need to replace the core and valve.

So my heater in an e30 has been bypassed. Who would be the best person to take the car into to get it fixed? Or is it a DIY I could do? I assume I would need to replace the core and valve.

remove glovebox and trim covers, you'll see the core and tap etc

makesure new O rings are fitted

Heater issue, never really cared about this but now it annoys the hell out of me.

E28

When temperature is set to hot

- top vents next to wind screen blows hot

- feet blows hot

- front and top centre vent blows cold.

What's going on here? Some kind of internal flap broken or something?

Heater issue, never really cared about this but now it annoys the hell out of me.

E28

When temperature is set to hot

- top vents next to wind screen blows hot

- feet blows hot

- front and top centre vent blows cold.

What's going on here? Some kind of internal flap broken or something?

Factory German feature designed to keep you awake just slide the centre vent shut if you don't want fresh cool air