E30stz

Quick Questions

M10x125, I think.

Sweet sounds about right. I've had a look through real OEM and google couldn't really find much on it.

Thanks

Can anyone help me out as to what this little canister is on me M52? Its right next to the alternator stater motor.

IMG_0655.jpg

Does it connect up to the intake?

Edited by Scrambler

Should the fan speed and direction dials in an E36 be illuminated when lights are on? Just thought I'd check before considering pulling things apart.

What style climate control does it have? The dual zone one in my M3 had a couple of bulbs in the back. I dont recall if the dial lit up, but certainly the area around the dials did.

I think i have a photo of mine lit up at home, will have a look.

Edited by KwS

What style climate control does it have? The dual zone one in my M3 had a couple of bulbs in the back. I dont recall if the dial lit up, but certainly the area around the dials did.

I think i have a photo of mine lit up at home, will have a look.

The controls look like this, if that helps?

post-51211-0-79369600-1467173955_thumb.j

The two dials at the top: the left one is on/off, the right is hot/cold.

It's the rotary switches controlling the fan speed and blow direction that I thought might normally be lit when the lights are on. (They're not at the moment!)

They should be illuminated with the lights on

I thought that was probably the case.

I'll pull it apart at some point, but I'll see if I have some tiny bulbs, first. :)

In an e36, what's the thermo switch (61318357632) for the windshield washer system used for?

Also, where does the bracket for said switch (61318359077) mount?

In an e36, what's the thermo switch (61318357632) for the windshield washer system used for?

Also, where does the bracket for said switch (61318359077) mount?

It's used to keep the windscreen washer jets from freezing up. It (and the bracket) are used on a whole host of cars and look to be fitted anywhere there's room!

I thought that was probably the case.

I'll pull it apart at some point, but I'll see if I have some tiny bulbs, first. :)

Have you tried tapping it, that usually fixes mine!!
  • Like 1

Have you tried tapping it, that usually fixes mine!!

Worth a go, but I'm not expecting much!

It's used to keep the windscreen washer jets from freezing up.

Yes, I'd worked that out but how? There appears to be no heater element or circuit so does it just stop the washers from spraying?

It (and the bracket) are used on a whole host of cars and look to be fitted anywhere there's room!

I did see that it was on a heap of vehicles but I'd like to know the 'proper' place to install it on an e36.

Mine's been disconnected for a while and I'd like to get it sorted.

Yes, I'd worked that out but how? There appears to be no heater element or circuit so does it just stop the washers from spraying?

I did see that it was on a heap of vehicles but I'd like to know the 'proper' place to install it on an e36.

A switch could prevent spraying...

I wonder if it somehow warms the nozzle to reduce the chance of freezing?

No idea if it is fitted to our E36... Being an SE, it could be. I'll have a look.

Yes, I'd worked that out but how? There appears to be no heater element or circuit so does it just stop the washers from spraying?I did see that it was on a heap of vehicles but I'd like to know the 'proper' place to install it on an e36.Mine's been disconnected for a while and I'd like to get it sorted.

The E39 has plugs on the washer jets, with heater elements inside the nozzles, but it doesnt have a switch its all automatic so might be a different system.

• Like 1

The E39 has plugs on the washer jets, with heater elements inside the nozzles, but it doesnt have a switch its all automatic so might be a different system.

So apparently it's for both the washer nozzles and the heated wing mirrors. I'd need to remove the hood liner to see how the washer nozzles are wired up.

Correct mounting location in the e36 (M3) is the brake duct on the RHS, in e36's with non-motorsport bumpers apparently it's mounted up by the washer reservoir.

I had some idle time at work this morning to research. Mine had fallen out and was just hanging by the wires.

Cheers guys.

• Like 1

Hey ,

I'm new here. I have been chasing a leak in/around the coolant expansion tank - removed the tank and at the bottom found the bits in the attached photos.

The black fitting has broken - one of the bayonet clips has come off. Although this may not be the cause of the leak, I am sure it's not going to help either.

What I need to know is:

1. What is all this? I'm guessing it's some kind of pressure valve.

2. How does it actually fit together? It all came out in pieces when I removed the tank.

3. What parts do I order? Or, where can I find out what parts to order?

Appreciate any assistance you may offer.

Cheers

post-53492-0-31442900-1467503954_thumb.j

post-53492-0-48170200-1467503973_thumb.j

post-53492-0-62385500-1467503991_thumb.j

Looks like the auto transmission thermostat?

Nah - definitely out of the coolant expansion tank - right at the bottom.

If I pulled the trans apart, I'd be deeply in the sh*t and so out of my depth, I'd have a divorce on my hands :)

Nah - definitely out of the coolant expansion tank - right at the bottom.

If I pulled the trans apart, I'd be deeply in the sh*t and so out of my depth, I'd have a divorce on my hands :)

Similar to part #4 on the link;

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=AN56-EUR-07-2000-E46-BMW-330i&diagId=17_0141

Which car has the problem? the e46 or the e90?

That is the transmission oil cooler thermostat. They break and that is now broken- unrepairable

1st Question: Did you diagnose / determine where the leak was before you started ripping things apart ??

• Like 1

The controls look like this, if that helps?

attachicon.gifWP_20160629_002.jpg

The two dials at the top: the left one is on/off, the right is hot/cold.

It's the rotary switches controlling the fan speed and blow direction that I thought might normally be lit when the lights are on. (They're not at the moment!)

This is how mine looked when i replaced the bulb. IIRC there was only one in the middle, when it was blown the whole thing was dark.

zJwc9ES.jpg

Yes, #4 seems to be the jobbie. The e46 has the problem - the coolant fell out all over the road and leaks like a sieve when refilled. I pulled to expansion tank out expecting to find a hose or hose clip problem, and found this - I dunno if it's the root cause of the leak, but I'm sure it isn't helping any.

Any idea where to get one?

Edited by Kempoguy

That is the transmission oil cooler thermostat. They break and that is now broken- unrepairable

1st Question: Did you diagnose / determine where the leak was before you started ripping things apart ??

Yes, leak was around the bottom of the expansion tank, but couldn't pin-point it exactly.

Pour water in the top, it came straight out somewhere near the bottom