E30stz

Quick Questions

^^^^ Are you using a spanner/ratchet? If so - try a rattle gun

^^^^ Are you using a spanner/ratchet? If so - try a rattle gun

Thanks for the reply. I can't get the impact in there because I can't get the wheel off, it's been done up with air! :(

Edited by M3AN

You'll be farting against thunder trying to do that with the wheel on. Use a power bar to release the wheel nuts. I find this frequently on AA callouts when some muppet has over tightened the wheel nuts - yesterday infact

• Like 1

E30s.

The M10 cars had a single piece welded at the front to support the radiator.

Did other cars, perhaps specifically the 6-pot ones, have a bolt-in (and therefore detachable) radiator mounting bracket? I vaguely recall someone saying they did.

Plastic clip on mounts on the chassis rails the radiator sits in, with plastic bolt on clamp / bracket that holds the top

Plastic clip on mounts on the chassis rails the radiator sits in, with plastic bolt on clamp / bracket that holds the top

I was thinking about the metal frame that the top plastic parts fit into - the part that sits between the headlights? On M10-powered cars this is spot welded into place but I recall something about there were some models that had this bolted in.

Pretty sure it's welded in in all them. Some people have modified them to make them bolt in.

• Like 1

Pretty sure it's welded in in all them. Some people have modified them to make them bolt in.

I wondered if that might be the case.

Thanks. :)

FL E30 316 - noisy diff at <170000km.

Serious, or is a change of gear oil likely to sort it?

FL E30 316 - noisy diff at <170000km.

Serious, or is a change of gear oil likely to sort it?

Noisy whilst driving straight or on hard lock left and/or right?

Noisy whilst driving straight or on hard lock left and/or right?

Just... noisy. :)

To be honest, I don't know, but I suspect while driving straight.

New oil is unlikely to quieten it

Are you sure it's not a wheel bearing? The 2 noisy E30 ones I've heard, did NOT alter in sound when cornering, just with road speed.

• Like 1

Are you sure it's not a wheel bearing? The 2 noisy E30 ones I've heard, did NOT alter in sound when cornering, just with road speed.

My thoughts as well. Raise it and drive it on axle stands or a hoist. Check using a stethoscope

• Like 1

where can i source locally alloy radiators? particularly for a e28.

where can i source locally alloy radiators? particularly for a e28.

this may be the radiator supplier you are looking for...

8adb3fb7f97b05371256bba58ebbde14.jpg

I've no experience with them. If you use the search bicycle you may find threads indicating Bimmersporters outcomes with Fenix radiators.

HTH

Buying a motor.... do they have a 'shelf life?' I'm thinking about buying a M20B27 for the block but being a student living in a place with no garage it'll be sitting for a few years. Will it be okay to use ? Thanks :)

Is it complete engine? Use preservation oil.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Does anyone know where to get the rubber bit of hose that screws into the Clutch slave on the E30? (preferably not from over seas if possible) looks like this http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/ss_clutch_lines/SLAVE_E36325.jpg

Also bought a slave cylinder from repco but doesn't seem to have the rod in it. Does anyone know where to get the rod? Or is there anything I need to watch out for if I make one up? I'd probably need the measurement of one if anyone can help out. Thanks in advance http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/slamb333/2010-04-30_063146_bleeder.jpg

I'm going through potential causes for the sad lack of brmm-brmm our 320d is experiencing. I don't think it is the fuel rail pressure sensor as removing that should see the car reconfigure into a default mode; unplugging it made no difference whatsoever.

The in-tank fuel pump on our 320d Touring is located under the rear seat on the right side. Lift the seat base and there is a rubber mat; under this is a round metal panel secured by 4 nuts. Under that you can see the top of the fuel pump.

How much noise does the in-tank fuel pump make? There is no aubible sound when listening through the rear seat, but remove the seat and there is a distinct 'hum' (as opposed to a buzz or whirr).

I'm going through potential causes for the sad lack of brmm-brmm our 320d is experiencing. I don't think it is the fuel rail pressure sensor as removing that should see the car reconfigure into a default mode; unplugging it made no difference whatsoever.

The in-tank fuel pump on our 320d Touring is located under the rear seat on the right side. Lift the seat base and there is a rubber mat; under this is a round metal panel secured by 4 nuts. Under that you can see the top of the fuel pump.

How much noise does the in-tank fuel pump make? There is no aubible sound when listening through the rear seat, but remove the seat and there is a distinct 'hum' (as opposed to a buzz or whirr).

normally fairly quiet . but I do have a spare diesel one if you need

normally fairly quiet . but I do have a spare diesel one if you need

It's certainly quiet. I'll do a voltage test on it and see what it's up to, but my suspicion is that it could be the high pressure pump which has decided to call it a day.

It's certainly quiet. I'll do a voltage test on it and see what it's up to, but my suspicion is that it could be the high pressure pump which has decided to call it a day.

After only 5, 000, 000 Km, they dont make them like they used to ;)

• Like 2

Does anyone know what the long bolt on the M52 Alternator is? I've lost mine.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/BMW-3-Series-E46/56-ELEC-Alternator_Replacement/images_small/pic16.jpg

Cheers

M10x125, I think.