E30stz

Quick Questions

Anyone know who stocks Elf motor oil? I want to give it a try :~)

glenn @ botany motor worx

• Like 2

replaced all the tensioners pulleys and belts on the e46 but the whistling sound still continues. so now is it just the alternator left?

That, or could it be a vacuum leak?

replaced all the tensioners pulleys and belts on the e46 but the whistling sound still continues. so now is it just the alternator left?

Did you spin the pulleys with the belts off? Were they quite? On of my new ones was noisy as hell! :(

yea all the replacement parts were in good condition and needed doing anyway.

im thinking its the alternator bearing not a vacuum leak

I have a similar problem on my 190E - turns out it is the power steering pump pulley that is squealing.

Anyone know if there is a difference between the M20 single mass flywheel type pressure plate and the M50 dual mass flywheel type?

And I asume Milland will be the easiest place to source an E21 throwout bearing locally?

Anyone know if there is a difference between the M20 single mass flywheel type pressure plate and the M50 dual mass flywheel type?

And I asume Milland will be the easiest place to source an E21 throwout bearing locally?

completely different units , not compatible

pic of M20 325I E30 TYPE

small dowel pins , clutch disc has springs in it .

larger top hat pressure plate

m50 dual mass type , shallow top hat , large dowel pins ,

clutch disc has no springs in it

also diameters vary depending on engine size etc

post-279-0-80104600-1447562953_thumb.jpg

completely different units , not compatible

pic of M20 325I E30 TYPE

small dowel pins , clutch disc has springs in it .

larger top hat pressure plate

m50 dual mass type , shallow top hat , large dowel pins ,

clutch disc has no springs in it

also diameters vary depending on engine size etc

Well aware of the differences in the friction disc but was unsure if the pressure plates were different. Looks like they are - will order a full new clutch kit for the M20 flywheel conversion then

After some recommendations

E30 325i clutch, what recommendations do people have and where to purchase?

Timing belt and water pump, same thing.

Finally, who should I contact regarding parts, OEM etc, as well as for aftermarket parts? List of suppliers would be great.

Cheers

Anyone know who stocks Elf motor oil? I want to give it a try :~)

Exedy Wairau Valley

PCV valve or broken pcv pipe. Pretty common

Try taking off your oil cap and see whether the noise goes away while engine is running

After some recommendations

E30 325i clutch, what recommendations do people have and where to purchase?

Timing belt and water pump, same thing.

Finally, who should I contact regarding parts, OEM etc, as well as for aftermarket parts? List of suppliers would be great.

Cheers

Exedy wairau valley. They will sort you with a Sachs clutch kit for the clutch. Runs beautifully in my e30. See Eugene. Hes a great guy to deal with

Any thoughts on substitution of a regular ordinary M18 x 65mm high tensile steel bolt for the actual bmw listed part the holds the timing and accessory pulleys on the front of my M20 motor? Assuming of course i can get the stub of the old bolt out...

It's a special bolt

I can see that the head has a weird profile, but other than that?

I've already ordered the proper one, 2 weeks ex germany :-/ just a bugger of a time to be vehicle-less

Have you got the broken piece out yet ??

Measured the depth of the hole, 70mm, i.e. no stub of the bolt, it totally fell out.

Quick question, E30, Motronic (i think, timing teeth on the harmonic dampener).

Do they run a unique map for WOT that ignore the AFM?

I have some hunch that they do, making APexi power fc & gizzmo afc etc a very poor choice for tuning...

My E30 has a camfc as the PO had intended to run a supercharger with a Clutch to activate at whatever RPM.

The car does have the B25 intake and injectors aparently and some grinding on the ports or valves maybe, so some tuning is probably desirable, but i question if the camfc is the best means.

What oil should I run in my getrag 260 (from what we have here in NZ). Most things I've read have said either redline mtl or mt-90. I'm pretty sure my box doesn't have a sticker which means it should be mtl, but I haven't been able to find it for sale yet. Would mt-85 work as it is between mtl and mt-90 in terms of viscosity.

EDIT: Box has no sticker on the side

Edited by eliongater

What oil should I run in my getrag 260 (from what we have here in NZ). Most things I've read have said either redline mtl or mt-90. I'm pretty sure my box doesn't have a sticker which means it should be mtl, but I haven't been able to find it for sale yet. Would mt-85 work as it is between mtl and mt-90 in terms of viscosity.

I use red line MTL in my 260. It's good stuff and a lot of the e30 guys in the US use it if you have a look online. I have no complaints, at 330km it still shifts nicely with the redline oil

Picked up some mtl from bnt. But they only had one bottle, so heading in tomorrow for the second one. Was $48 for about a litre.