E30stz

Quick Questions

When testing a thermostat on the stove in a pot of water, should an 80c thermostat start to open at 80, or earlier? And how far should it open? The thermostat in question is starting to open at 80c and opens to about 6mm at around 88-90c. Time for a new one?

When testing a thermostat on the stove in a pot of water, should an 80c thermostat start to open at 80, or earlier? And how far should it open? The thermostat in question is starting to open at 80c and opens to about 6mm at around 88-90c. Time for a new one?

As I understand it, the thermostat opens once a temperature is reached. Temp will continue to rise for a short while, but will then drop back to the desired temperature.

As such, yours is probably fine.

Usually a failed thermostat sticks open, rather than closed, the symptom being car takes ages to warm up or never gets out of the blue.

Seized open on left vs new and closed on right

post-1298-0-15166000-1449704633_thumb.jp

At 80deg my new one has just started opening but the old one is fully open already, it started opening about 50deg

post-1298-0-97499100-1449705060_thumb.jp

About a minute later the new one is fully open also

post-1298-0-24184000-1449704751_thumb.jp

So it's not just about when it opens, which should be the marked temperature, more about was it fully closed to begin with.

Edited by Charlie F.

Thank you both so much for your responses!

Charlie that was exactly what I needed to see/hear.
I thought I'd test the thermostat as I was replacing the waterpump but i'm fairly sure its fine and that the waterpump is the issue

Thank you both so much for your responses!

Charlie that was exactly what I needed to see/hear.

I thought I'd test the thermostat as I was replacing the waterpump but i'm fairly sure its fine and that the waterpump is the issue

Water pumps are a great thing to replace, other causes of overheating would be Blown Head Gaskets, an airlock in the coolant system, and aux and/or primary fans being poked.

you can't heat the thermostats too quickly, or the temp climbs before the stat gets time to absorb the heat properly - Setting my gas cooktop on anything above about 1/2 can heat it too fast for good readings.

Tonight I was doing some wiring on my wifes e46, and I had to peel back the front passenger side carpet to access stuff, and it was wet under there?

I'm 99% sure its water (cant think what else it could be) but dunno where it has come from?

Door seals and windscreen seals are good.

Any ideas?

Tonight I was doing some wiring on my wifes e46, and I had to peel back the front passenger side carpet to access stuff, and it was wet under there?

I'm 99% sure its water (cant think what else it could be) but dunno where it has come from?

Door seals and windscreen seals are good.

Any ideas?

Leaking heater matrix? Any smells in the cabin?

Weather / insulation membrane behind the door skin or the door skin clip seals are missing

Leaking heater matrix? Any smells in the cabin?

No smells in the cabin.

The heater works, but the air con doesnt blow cold if that helps?

Glenn is right. Bet someone has been in there to replace a regulator or speaker.

None of the clips are loose, but I will pull it apart in the weekend to see if the plastic is still there.

Took off an old timing belt today in preparation for when the new one arrives.

I had both the Cam and Crank at TDC, however after removing the tensioner the cam seems to have moved 1 - 2mm out, approximately half a tooth forward, while the crank has stayed at TDC.

Would it be best to leave it till i install the new belt with accompanying tensioner, in hopes that tension will bring it back into alignment?

What other ways are there to adjust the cam back to TDC before installing the new belt? Ie reinstall the old belt, adjust the cam back to TDC and then take it off and adjust the crank back to TDC without the belt? Got myself a bit confused here.

I know that half a tooth out isn't damage worthy if it were to be driven, but I don't feel like risking it and I have plenty of time to fix it up.

Cheers

Edited by Terroth

I assume you are talking about an M20. Very simple to set timing. Line the marks up as you fit the new belt, making sure there is no slack in the belt on the leading (non tensioner) side. The tensioner then takes up the slack on the trailing side.

Yeh sorry, M20B25.

So it should just line up again when i install the new belt and tension it?

Cheers.

Yep. Cam mark may not, probably wont, line up perfectly but there will be an obvious "correct" position once the belt is on.

Thanks for that Tim, i know more than enough about the process of replacing the belt, and have done it before, but the sarcasm is appreciated.

I was more concerned about the movement in the cam and not the crank after i had removed the old belt and readjusting it back to the marks that i had it set to before i did so, and whether it was of concern or not, but obviously you didn't read my post.

Cheers :) :) :)

Edited by Terroth
  • Like 1

Can legit plates.co.nz issued euro size plates be remade to have different coloured sides? Eg the ones I bought are blue, but I'd like them to be black. Thanks!

Hey folks, I recently just bought my first BMW and love it to pieces, it's an e39. However the boot lid tool holder is missing its 4 screws, does anyone know what the screws/rivets are called, what they look like or better yet where I can find replacements? Cheers.

Hey folks, I recently just bought my first BMW and love it to pieces, it's an e39. However the boot lid tool holder is missing its 4 screws, does anyone know what the screws/rivets are called, what they look like or better yet where I can find replacements? Cheers.

If this is your first, there is a good chance you've not heard of RealOEM - www.realoem.com. Enter the last 7 characters of the VIN of your E39 and browse through. It'll help find the part numbers.

• Like 1

Can legit plates.co.nz issued euro size plates be remade to have different coloured sides? Eg the ones I bought are blue, but I'd like them to be black. Thanks!

Hi Toby I have some black stickers here if they won't do it without charging you $499