Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Got my intermittant ABS fault on the way to Takapuna in the M5 this afternoon so popped in to BMW and they scanned it for me...37 codes! I still don't know what it is.... I suspect a few of the stored codes are a result of having it on the dyno, so clear them and try again.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:09 AM, hunter said:

old air bag needs checking first and foremost, i forgot to take it to dealer. so will do tomorrow. they will check but can only perform recall on vehicles once (recall is vehicle aligned not airbag aligned).  if airbag i did get with the MF wheel does need to be recalled it'll have to go to a car that hasn't had one yet or be disposed of.

if it doesn't need recalling i will sell with the steering wheel that came out of my car. 

Air bg confirmed as not needing recall by Coombes. wheel and airbag onTM https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1615628295 if anyone wants one.

• Like 1

Fitted new cheapo gas struts for my bonnet,  Installed 7pin trailer light socket using a TEB7AS relay.

Actually noticed that whilst the airbag light is on and both front passengers in their seats...I also get the seat belt warning on the dash.  Think I'll invest in a scanner :)

So Wingers found the fault, my battery was partially under water...looks like I had a leak!  Cost to repair battery, cable and boot seal 2.5k!

Edited by far4ngn

Notched up the quarter in the 530 tonight :)

20180501_191804.jpg

Edited by hqstu
wording
  • Like 7

today (Tuesday 2 May, 2018): e46 at 184035kms.  (6 years ownership, 72,000kms).

- oil change (Penrite HPR5), oil filter (MAN-HU9254), Air Filter (MAN-C251141)

- replaced steering coupler (BMW 32-30-6-761-571).  E10 E-torx and wobble joint and extensions, 16mm socket, long pry-bar, red threadlocker.  A ramp helps.  Need to figure out how to straighten the steering wheel - oops.

- also changed out Air Box mounting grommets (BMW 13711702508).  There's a squeal that can occur when they wear out, at around 3000rpm.  

Many thanks to @Barryn for assistance!

Next steps:  Windscreen replacement, lock barrel replacement, new key, headlight lens remediation (again).  And then in the next few months, the list of remedial maintenance; replace valve cover gasket (again), oil filter housing gasket (again), new spark plugs (again), auto trans filter and fluid (again), and probably VANOS seals.

Edited by Olaf
added the Air Box mounting grommets, added a couple more maintenance items.
  • Like 1

Removed the front sway bar from the 328 (M3 version going in) and received all the bits for the front end suspension upgrade to M3 spec (lots of bits!).

Removed a pebble (from bad asphalting in Stanmore Bay) from between my rotor and backing plate. The grinding noise could be heard from blocks away. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Removed a pebble (from bad asphalting in Stanmore Bay) from between my rotor and backing plate. The grinding noise could be heard from blocks away. 

I removed the front shields from our E39. After sealing of our road, it was getting a stone EVERY day... on BRAND NEW rotors!

Then after removing them, I discovered the light rattle I'd had for years... was from the shields!

Gone now! ?

• Like 3

Pulled the front struts out of the 328. Boy the threadlocker on some of those bolts is tuff!

Can't move forward now until my spring compressors find their way back to me on Sunday, I need to assemble the M3 stack.

Replaced transmission filter, gasket, drain, and fill plugs. Took out some old ATF, added in some new. Need to do a proper flush now the pan itself doesn't leak anymore...

• Like 1

Finally did the my vanos seals on my 265,000km M54. Best $200 ive ever spent on a car i think. Nice torque gain esp below 3k and even smoother throughout the rev range.

+1 Recommendation

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Best $200 ive ever spent

It sure is and a very satisfying DIY at that :)  I did plugs, gaskets, etc whilst I was in there...

DSC02790.JPG

• Like 2

Yeah straight forward job. The worst part was the usual crappy fan shroud design which i took to with dremel and made an opening so i could get that radiator bleeder line on easier in the future.

If M54 didn't have so many flaws and was easy to work id probably like it

Yesterday I collected my new-to-me Style 123 rims (thanks @Family Wagon), and drove back down the island.  I'm certain my M54 needs VANOS seals.  It's running much better for a good run, though is lacking torque.

Today I spent a couple of hours cleaning the Style 123's for the e60.  Several repeat-and-rinse jobs (on the inside) to remove built-up brake dust. I pryed off old balancing weights, and used a scraper to remove old adhesive remnants.

• Like 1

Built up the M3 front struts for the 328 (thanks @sweetm3 & @gjm) but didn't quite get them into the car (Supercars got in the way). I did get the M3 sway bar in though so that's some progress.

Front suspension into the 328 today...

e60:  Yesterday morning I visited Bridgestone Torrens Terrace, where Kelvin changed over my cracked rim for a 'whole' one, and rebalanced.  just two 10g weights (one inner, one outer); those RE003's balance easily.

I then delivered the car to the panel beaters, for the bumper "kiss" some sheisskopf left me a couple of months back (without leaving a note) to be repaired and repainted.  Onwards and upwards!   

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

e60:  Yesterday saw a report from panel shop : more damage found in rear bumper, previous repair poorly executed (plastic welded but filler cracking, poorly adhered and heavy).  "Yep, please do it right" (which is additional scope and comes out of my pocket, not insurance).  So I dropped by for a squizz.  Seems the bumper was originally black, had a few layers of paint on it.  It's well on it's way to looking great.  They've worked their magic on the dent in the guard where it meets the bumper, metal-finished back, appears no filler required.  "The dark arts".

_DSC9995_1600_300dpi.jpg

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 3

e60:  collected car from panel shop.  repair completed.  it's a wet day; the colour match is very good, paint finish looks great - as far as I can see through the raindrops. 

Flat battery on collection.  Got a jump start from the panel shop.  Found I had no cluster.  No gauges, no tell-tales, no intermittent auto-wipe. The wipers and indicators still worked - just no click or lights.  Took it for a drive to charge the battery, returned to the  panel shop.  We were taken to Page European; 15 min power-off reset.  All is good now. It's good to have it back.

Looking forward to seeing it on a dry day in the light.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Olaf said:

e60:  collected car from panel shop.  repair completed.  it's a wet day; the colour match is very good, paint finish looks great - as far as I can see through the raindrops. 

Flat battery on collection.  Got a jump start from the panel shop.  Found I had no cluster.  No gauges, no tell-tales, no intermittent auto-wipe. The wipers and indicators still worked - just no click or lights.  Took it for a drive to charge the battery, returned to the  panel shop.  We were taken to Page European; 15 min power-off reset.  All is good now. It's good to have it back.

Looking forward to seeing it on a dry day in the light.

Sheesh! dramas eh …..

11 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Sheesh! dramas eh …..

Essentially, yeah; at least a little inconvenience.  The e60 certainly likes a solid battery!  They'd had the boot open a lot during it's time in the workshop... and then an hour or two on the roadside with hazards on... bingo, flat batty.

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

Essentially, yeah; at least a little inconvenience.  The e60 certainly likes a solid battery!  They'd had the boot open a lot during it's time in the workshop... and then an hour or two on the roadside with hazards on... bingo, flat batty.

winters comin...you dont want a five series with a dodgy battery in the winter......