Apex

Quick rant thread.

8 hours ago, Palazzo said:

I know, clear change. 
54.6% of 5.7% of the voters, or 3.11% of the total. 

its almost as if the news has an agenda rather than mirroring what people think or want, lucky we have such good journos here/sarc

On 2/5/2024 at 4:04 PM, Bruski said:

Has anyone tried Cove for car insurance?  Shopping around after receiving the same shock - from Tower = up from something like 640 to 880 on the family shopping trolley is outrageous.  And that is after raising the excess last year post a fairly hefty increase in 2023.  Cove came out the cheapest.  All the others were close to or a lot more than Tower.  Cove seemed one of those 'too good to be true, probably is' moments.

I've got my insurance on the my Prado with Cove and haven't had any issues with them yet. Although I haven't had to make any claims so hard to know up until that point. I think I have claimed some stone chips in the glass with them which was pretty easy. They have some annoying exclusions though like any business use negates your cover and a few others. They're quite finnicky on named drivers as well, e.g anyone using the car once a month is considered regular use . They are pretty open about these but best to look through and make sure you're all good with them.

MAS has been good as well, I didn't have any increase on my premium on my last renewal and they have been easy to deal with in the past. But again haven't made any major claims with them so hard to know. I'll likely move the prado over the MAS if the premium is the similar to cove, my first year with Cove gave me one month free which made it more competitive.

Edited by Hazzy

US shipping costs... Wanted a zhp shift knob. Price $100 US. Cost of shipping $200 US...

Edited by MD13

2 hours ago, MD13 said:

Found it for $40US shipping on ECS. Thanks though Harper.

Still much cheaper to get from schmiedmann.  167usd shipped from ECS, 98usd shipped from Schmiedmann. They are almost always by far the cheapest for genuine parts like this in my experience. 

Edited by Harper
  • Like 5

Shipping for multiple small\light stuff usually only $20 euro. Arrives quicker than average US parcel too with less stops.

In the same theme, but more of a disappointment than a rant...

Selection of items from the Rockauto site. So much - massively - cheaper than anywhere in NZ.

Until shipping is added. :sick:  Note to self: Rockauto source from multiple locations and shipping is paid on each location.

Now checking if MyUS will change the situation from my perspective.

Edited by gjm

On 2/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, gjm said:

In the same theme, but more of a disappointment than a rant...

Selection of items from the Rockauto site. So much - massively - cheaper than anywhere in NZ.

Until shipping is added. :sick:  Note to self: Rockauto source from multiple locations and shipping is paid on each location.

Now checking if MyUS will change the situation from my perspective.

Yeah always check which warehouse it's shipped from. If you get everything from the same warehouse it shouldn't be too bad (although post COVID shipping has been more expensive anyway)

Apparently BMW buyers are cross shopping with the Omoda C5 these days. This thing can get in the sea

IMG_0117.jpeg

IMG_0116.jpeg

That is potentially the worst looking vehicle I've laid eyes upon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Come on, Robin; to the Batcave! There's not a moment to lose!

• Haha 1

I was wondering when they were going to do something to make the grilles more noticeable.....

🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Parts ordered from the US.

Expected delivery date is still a week out.

But it's took 2 days for the parts to get from source, through multiple places in the US, to a plane, stopover in Honolulu, get to Auckland airport, clear customs, and get sent to East Tamaki.

And sit there for 3 days.

So I called. "Tracking says my package has been with you for 3 days. Any idea when I will receive it?"

"Naah mate. Docs say delivery around the 25th. Spose it'll get to you by then."

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/22/2023 at 10:04 AM, Neil McCauley said:

@balancerider don't accept anything less than like-for-like. It's an OE screen that's cracked so that's what should go in, no ifs or buts. Definitely dig in your heels when they try and cheap out with a non genuine item.

Then there will be the inevitable argument about re-using the original sensors rather than new, which will never work as well as they did from new.

Dealing with insurance companies as a supplier to them almost killed my soul - the commerce commission needs to take a blow-torch to the entire industry.

So the end result of this is that the car now has a new correctly installed OE Pilkington screen courtesy of CCBMW after S+S had put 2 new aftermarket screens in, awful whistling above 50kph with both. I swear the inside vehicle SPL is about 10dB less with the OE screen. Very happy 

• Like 1