Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Police frustrations

I dont usually get into my real bugbears but as a Hunter and firearms owner I am so disappointed by the Police over the granting of a Licence to the Christchurch Terrorist. I do admit to having a Dog in this fight so to speak, and I personally know the previous Police Inspector in charge of firearms. He had backed up everything that Stuff published last week  regarding the poor performance of Police in checking Tarrant's background. He should never have been given a licence  yet Minister Nash keeps coming forward and saying everything was done correctly. Firearms ownership is a very divisive and emotional subject with people having very strong opinions either way, I get that. What annoys me is that internally Police would have know pretty quickly if things were done correctly and the Government would have known as well. I guess we will have clearer indication when the Royal Commission reports but I am convinced someone is telling lies.

• Like 4

the real bugbear was this all came out in first few weeks but the ever protective media chose to basically ignore reporting of it until now

• Like 1

Both the government and the media have let us down on this one.

Jacinda doesn't seem to get held to account like her predecessors were.

Back in the day when I got my fire arms licence your guns were registered against that licence. Your property was inspected and all firearms were sold with a transfer against that licence to another holding a licence. This included private and commercial sales This system should be brought back in and policed appropriately. Online sales  should be made illegal. Pick up only after all the paper work is carried out and registered..... My opinion

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Back in the day when I got my fire arms licence your guns were registered against that licence. Your property was inspected and all firearms were sold with a transfer against that licence to another holding a licence. This included private and commercial sales This system should be brought back in and policed appropriately. Online sales  should be made illegal. Pick up only after all the paper work is carried out and registered..... My opinion

Sounds like a system that worked.

Better sort that.

I dont think many of the Police would disagree with anything in this thread...

Sadly being in the minority with generally a poor public perception means they can get away with it.

with the reports of general public actually going to the police station and reporting their suspicions of said gunman at the driving range and being laughed off then having guns stolen from their own police stations and some of the stories about buy backs it doesn't install much confidence in the thin blue line to organise anything gun related. apparently it is handled differently across districts rather than nationally and they have all channeled the funding away to other areas and let the gun license depts flounder

very sorry for the poor bugger killed this week tho, very sad