nzsapper

07 X3 - yay or nay?

Hi

Genuinely asking for a friend 

He is looking at purchasing this vehicle , ask for my thoughts and I know absolutely nothing about these vehicles

Anyone have advice for him?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/x3/listing/2734630929?bof=hfloiQyP

Thanks in advance

Bought an 05 2 litre diesel about 3 weeks ago-  that listing is the facelift model which isn't as butt ugly as the early ones ( like ours) . 

They drive well and are very versatile, more so than the X5 we have

Not sure I could live with the fuel bills of a petrol 1800kg vehicle propelled by a 3 litre NA engine 10 - 13l/100k vs 7.6 for the diesel 

Edited by 3pedals

Ive gotta ask, but why would you buy that f**k ugly thing over an E91 wagon or the likes?

• Haha 2

Bought the 2.5 a while back for the wife, has been a stellar car, we have put 150,000km on it and only failure was the front control arm bushes and a plastic gear in the transfer case actuator.

Buy the whole new actuator as a bosch or land rover item to save a fortune or just replace the gear.

Reason we bought it vs a wagon was ground clearance and price for a 4wd version.

Petrol consumption is sitting at 10.2L/100km 

• Like 1

Hey Paul - was looking at one of these for the wife a while ago. Good seating position and visibility if you're not tall - better than the more modern F25 X3. With the N52, the water pump is the expensive thing that is likely to fail and that one you're looking at has had that done already :)

200KW should go well... Motorsport suspension can be very hard...

Transfer case and stepper motors are the only other thing that really goes wrong on these

Runs the same transfer case as the  E53 X5 (ATC400) so surprised there are issues in the X3's - Killers of the transfer case are: lack of service and un-matched tyre sizes. 

If the motor/ actuator is playing up / the gears are worn there is usually a bigger problem inside the transfer case 

11 hours ago, KwS said:

Ive gotta ask, but why would you buy that f**k ugly thing over an E91 wagon or the likes?

Try fitting two road bikes in the back or, a full sized mountain bike or a bunch of sailing gear and towing the boat, or ;  the list goes on --- the X3 is simple very versatile  and is just as easy to drive and park as a 3 series car/ wagon and it will go more places more comfortably.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 3pedals said:

Not sure I could live with the fuel bills of a petrol 1800kg vehicle propelled by a 3 litre NA engine 10 - 13l/100k vs 7.6 for the diesel 

This would be the biggest drawback IMHO, the fuel consumption on the 3.0ltr can be a bit ferocious, especially if you use it for lugging stuff around or towing trailers / boats / etc.

If they are keen on the X3 then I would steer them towards the diesel variants, maybe a bit more expensive but even with RUC it would pay off in the long run I would suggest.

I don't get the obsessive negative perception in NZ regards RUC on diesels the rate for a light vehicle is $76/1000km and in Auckland the current fuel prices in our area  are $1.28 for diesel and $2.39 for 98 

So:

an X5 using 9l/100 k uses 90 litres to do 1,000 k - 90*1.28 = $115.20 ad the RUC and that becomes $191.20  or 19c/k 

an X3 using 8l /100k uses 80 litres,  same equation that becomes $178.4 or 17.8c/k

a 120d using 6.5 l/100k $159.2  or 15.9c/k 

Based on my mates average consumption in his 4.4 X5 at17l/100k  ( he tows a boat ocassionally)  that's 170 litres for 1000k = $406  or 40.6c/k  

At the other end  of the scale it's about even 6.5l/100k in a 120i is $155.35 or  15.5 c/k 

However - I've never seen a 120i do the claimed 6.5 - it's more often 8 and when you do that calc its $191.2 or 19.1 c/k 

In short anything using more than 7.5 l/100k is cheaper in diesel and the disparity in consumption broadens with vehicle weight so the heavvier the vehicle the more compelling the argument for diesel  

• Like 1

What really shits me is that a 43 tonne truck only pays around $400 in RUC - you can't tell me that a juggernaut pounding up and down the same road only does the same damage as 5 light vehicles - thats B.S ??? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@3pedals - thanks for the diesel v petrol comparison, very helpful.
Serious question, when regular servicing Is factored are diesels still more cost effective than petrol? How about maintenance (i presume this would be similar/same between the two)?
I have been contemplating a diesel but have been a bit reluctant to jump in so insights are welcome

OP - having previously owned a manual petrol X3 2.5l for 3 years (which was a fantastic combo and wagon) i highly recommend them. Good practicality, visibility and did long distance travel well. Not as practical as my holden wagon but not much is these days 😎 (sorry couldn’t help myself and had to put that in). Only issue i had was a failed plastic actuator as discussed.  Replace the cog and all was good from then on

• Like 1

My wife has 2008 LCI version, nice to drive, good viz from every angle, for a NA bigish six cyl, is great on gas.

We've gone from 3 petrols & a diesel to 3 diesels & a petrol over the last 5 years , a short trip is 40 k and an average week is 300k times 2 (vehicles) 

Servicing costs are about the same, discounting the obvious extra cost associated with running a 4WD system and the scale of the vehicle. 

• Like 1

Our 2006 X3 2.5 with the M54 engine uses around 13.5l/100km around town, and around 10l/100km on road trips outside of Auckland. I once managed to get 8l/100km on a trip to Ngatea, but there were hardly any hills on that drive, and I was using cruise control the whole time (yawn).

Around town it does about 400kms on a tank of petrol, so anywhere between $120-150 depending on price at the time - it is a pretty expensive run around, but thankfully my wife does hardly any mileage nowadays, and I daily on a motorbike.