Sign in to follow this  
westy

The bastard child.

Hey Westy can you post additional pics? I feel like we haven't gotten a real good look at the car yet.

Here's some

gallery_674_179_153512.jpg

gallery_674_179_20345.jpg

gallery_674_179_168756.jpg

gallery_674_179_43654.jpg

Up to the usual standard of course.

Also have you considered going chromed or matte black bumpers?  Might be interesting to see...if only someone could shoop that up

Edit: Although these pics http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/23929-the-bastard-child/page-36 give an idea of what the chromed look would be

Might be tricky to terminate whatever bumper against the guards, as at the moment they transition into each other in a continuous fashion.

You'd have to attach something on top o think, which will bring along some challenges in itself.

I must admit it would make it look a little more OEM!

Some Hellensville youth nick your boot badge, Tony?

Helensville. shesh.

But nah, I'm just slack and these are a couple of months old. But ol' mate wanted some pics and since I aint got nothin else to add...

• Like 1

So, this thing was ok but never really did it for me.

So, got one of these

post-674-0-68298100-1405826704.jpg

It's a V8 mate

post-674-0-16894200-1405826718.jpg

It's in the hole

post-674-0-44205000-1405826846.jpg

It's quite tight

post-674-0-44197200-1405827266.jpg

It's got some engine mounts

post-674-0-47146100-1405827297.jpg

It's also got some new control arm mounts

post-674-0-31638300-1405827344.jpg

Still lots to do but hopefully we'll be sorted Oct-Nov or there abouts.

• Like 3

Good work!

Why are the new CA mounts req'd?

Have you moved the sub-frame back?

Yeah, moved the subframe back to the E30 position, so had to move the wheel forward again.

Alice getting a big growler :-)

• Like 1

Got me a box yay!

post-674-0-16225000-1407127088.jpg

Just a bit bigger than the 6er

post-674-0-14572700-1407127099.jpg

Can see why a straight up adapter plate wont work. The 6 box is nowhere near big enough to go over the flywheel.

Taller top gear lets me use my LSD too which is a bonus.

So, got the motor back in with the box and an, ahem, experimental flywheel and been stitching it back together.

Busting my arse trying to fit the exhaust manifolds, pick for Fred

post-674-0-07668800-1409629239_thumb.jpg

I've realised the car doesn't have any O2 sensors anywhere. The donor was optioned with no cats and no post cat sensor but there are also no straight up O2s either and no provision for them. No wiring, bungs anything.

Anyone ever come across this before?

• Like 1

have seen a few nz new cars with no cats and 02 sensors etc

No O2s? seems really odd. It's a 2/96 car so is an early NZer.

Been doing this and Josh's place!?! you must have a lot more hours in the day out west!

• Like 1

just pulled apart a 98 nz new e46 318i with no cats , no aux airpump etc

Can it run properly without o2s. Thought they were a huge part of fuel mapping.

Can it run properly without o2s. Thought they were a huge part of fuel mapping.

Yup, drove it before pulling it apart. Goes real well. Must be running on base maps? There were some secret squirrel options so maybe this is one??

na the o2 sensors on the older cars was just for trimming the fuel for lean burn at light throttle (motorway cruising) stuff

later cars seams to be more important

At what point did they become important? I had the sensors back to front on my m52 for each front and rear bank and it ran like shite.

Have you got the part # handy on the DME unit?

1 429 578 or 1 429 625. From what we can tell it relates to a US spec 840 of all things.

There we go. Avoid light throttle driving...

Shouldn't be a problem...

Can take a look tonight .. but pretty sure youre running BMW press car software on that DME from our last investigate into it as it doesnt exisit on the standard ETK anywhere.

1 429 578 or 1 429 625. From what we can tell it relates to a US spec 840 of all things.

Shouldn't be a problem...

Can take a look tonight .. but pretty sure youre running BMW press car software on that DME from our last investigate into it as it doesnt exisit on the standard ETK anywhere.

At what point did they become important? I had the sensors back to front on my m52 for each front and rear bank and it ran like shite.

The reason is almost all vehicles on the road run for efficentcy. They have closed loop software that uses the o2 sensors to maintain optimal burn for emmisions standards.

You car will go open loop when your thottle position is over 85-90%. In this mode the car doesnt use the o2 sensors for trim but a pre-determined fuel and spark tables. These are tuned for power in mind. This is where a lot of tuners make their adjustments and leave the closed loop maps alone.

Removing O2 sensors on a car which doesnt have the software / tuning to coup with it will mean the car will default to fail-safe rich maps for lower load zones. you will have a reduction in power and an major decrease in fuel efficency. Your car will also smell like a gas station.

• Like 1

Yeah that sounds right. Dont worry too much about chasing it though, looks like I'm going to get it going using this DME rather than the other, later one I picked up. Still missing the wiring loom and now with this so, yeah.