Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

NOT silicon (RTV), if you ever want to paint anywhere near it! You can buy proper seam sealer, like the factory would use, PU is usable, but the paint won't stay on it forever. Seam selaer is a bit harder and less flexible/rubbery. You can get brush on too.

Noted

Saw some brush-on 'seam sealer' stuff in my travels, might revisit.

Otherwise I've been working on the 4-2-1 exhaust manifolds, so far so good. I will have to post some pictures soon.

Pics indeed!!!

Added some new slimline plates to the new toy today. I quite like the look, although I want to remove the Euro plate background on the front and get the holes repaired and just stick the front plate directly to the bumper.

post-4006-1356769389.jpg

post-4006-1356769424.jpg

Added some new slimline plates to the new toy today. I quite like the look, although I want to remove the Euro plate background on the front and get the holes repaired and just stick the front plate directly to the bumper.

unsure about the back, but the front will look good when you remove holder

Awesome beast you have got right there. Although much more interested in seeing photo's of your GT3 race car =).

Removed my old leaky brake servo, the spare however just has its lines cut and number 15 nut is mega stuck....so much for 30nm torque. I guess it's time for the hack saw and rattle gun (fingers crossed)

post-4560-1356839206.jpg

Niiiiice ride, our CEO drives one of these and always a good car to have and to look at in our office basement :lol:

Hydraulic unit in! Brakes bled and working, no leaks from unit so far.

Time for a beer.

No biggie, found rusted-through hole behind the firewall on the battery tray area...

Posted Image

If I saw that. I'd be taking a real good look at the rest of the car before I spent a further dollar or dollars on it. You can't repair that with body filler...you only hide it before it pops again or the car breaks in half in an accident.

If I saw that. I'd be taking a real good look at the rest of the car before I spent a further dollar or dollars on it. You can't repair that with body filler...you only hide it before it pops again or the car breaks in half in an accident.

I would have to agree there. I had to realise there was no point fixing my pride and joy when I saw the rust in the floor and firewall. Would be cheaper to just buy another E30! Or something that doesn't rust :unsure:

I would have to agree there. I had to realise there was no point fixing my pride and joy when I saw the rust in the floor and firewall. Would be cheaper to just buy another E30! Or something that doesn't rust :unsure:

Thanks for the feedback guys, quite unsure where this is gonna take me but I suppose the only thing I can save now is just fix what I can fix for now -_-

Took the car around East Coast i.e. Pine Harbour, Onetangi, Maraetai etc.

Posted Image

Artistic shot taken by the missus (y)

.... but I suppose the only thing I can save now is just fix what I can fix for now -_-

Its a better attitude than most people and the head in the sand approach.

Finally fitted these (holidays are great!) and had an alignment done

Have noticed a shimmy above 85kph, not enough to visibly wobble the steering wheel but enough to be massively annoying. Any other causes besides wheel balance and / or bent wheels? Fitted a set of style 159s a few months back, am wondering if the state of the old control arm bushes masked the wobble??

post-4208-1357204709.jpg

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Finally resealed the two rear vapor barriers on the doors. Now the car can be out in inclement weather again if needed!

And my AC control panel has died causing only hot lava air to be pumped into the cabin... sigh looks like it will be a new one of those on Monday.

Anyone know what these usually run from a wreckers and if there is anywhere in Auckland rebuilding them?

Tacked up the exhaust on the V8 all the way to the mid section, will have it connected to the exhaust manifolds tomorrow.

Start up shall not be far way! (once fully TIG welded)

Posted Image

Yes yes, here it is now completed off the car.

Posted Image

I look forward to hearing those noises it will make. Although it's not quite yet ready for start up at this stage.

Picked up some 15" weaves on TM ;)

post-2618-1357542271.jpg

No balance pipe?

Well, I was going to have it true dual as I am quite fond of the exhaust note thats produced, I had the same Audi RS4 rear mufflers on another V8 car a few years ago and it sounded pretty damn good unbalanced.

But, they can sound even better with an H pipe to smooth out the note, so I came up with the idea of using vacuum actuated H pipe pieced together with some sections of an E36 M3 center resonator and a spare rear RS4 vacuum flap. This means I can open and close the valve at the touch of a button inside the car to change the tone.

It will be very interesting to hear the difference it makes.

Posted Image

Alot of thought has gone in to it i'll give you that. Look forward to hearing it.

Haha yeah thanks, there has, probably too much. I tend to over think things.

Although on the matter of exhausts and the noise output with using vacuum valves: Quote from the Lvvta standards

"The requirement specified in 2.1(3)(B) means that a multiâ€mode exhaust system cannot be designed

into a scratchâ€built vehicle or retroâ€fitted into a modified production vehicle, unless the maximum

permissible decibel levels in 2.9 are not exceeded in any available mode."

From what I gather, under the Lvvta ruling for this class of car I have up to 95 dba. I would be highly doubtful it will be any louder than that even with at the loudest setting. Time will tell!