Sign in to follow this  
qube

COFFEE!

Just wondering if people have a specific brand and or blend of coffee they like..

i am referring to espresso coffee not the supermarket mix with water and milk nescafe :)

Nespresso counts tho!

i like toasted espresso and lately a brand called millers

go!

Starbucks Mocha Frappechino however you spell it. Really annoying having a Starbucks 2 minutes walk from wellington Weltec campus lol.

Robert Harris coffee bags you make in a normal coffee plunger at home on a sunday otherwise Nescafe..

...market research project?

Caffe L'affare or Karajoz

Not sure which one I prefer at the moment.

Either of their stronger whole bean packs seem to do the trick.

That stuff the cat-like creatures sh*t out.

No I haven't had that, but in my real world it would have to be Melba Vulcan lane, whatever they use. Soy or regular flat white, or regular cappuccino with toasted croissant amande to take away.

Hummingbird when i buy beans from supermarkets, because its relatively fresh, otherwise, its coffee roasted with freshest date stamp i can find (normally Eden coffee) or get my dad to bring some when he takes tour groups around NZ and try other roasts

Does anyone here have a home espresso setup? I have a Sunbeam stepped burr grinder bought on special, and a Saeco Via Venezia with steam wand and non-pressurized portafilter

for nespresso kazzar was good but you can't get it now. Risretto indryia and Roma are pretty good.

for nespresso kazzar was good but you can't get it now. Risretto indryia and Roma are pretty good.

Karajoz espresso, because my wife likes a stronger flavour, our machine likes quite a fine grind and I've been too cheap to date to lash out on a burr grinder.

I buy roasted coffee beans (italia) from Gibbston Coffee Co on the terrace in Wellington. Tony doesn't advertise and doesn't need to as word of mouth is he's one of the top roasters and barista's in Wellington. He also produces a wide range of roasting styles and uses a antique looking itailian roaster.

Im a self confessed addict

Machine wise use a La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 head and a Mini Macho Grinder

Edited by Neal

Starbucks Mocha Frappechino however you spell it. Really annoying having a Starbucks 2 minutes walk from wellington Weltec campus lol.

Robert Harris coffee bags you make in a normal coffee plunger at home on a sunday otherwise Nescafe..

...market research project?

i like the caramel machiatto from starbucks, and really all their frappe stuff is pretty decent.. cant handle a proper coffee from starbucks tho.. they have no idea how to steam milk and really dislike the coffee taste.

not really a research "project", just a curiosity.. just keen to find out what people like to drink and whether a specific brand name is mentioned again and again

Caffe L'affare or Karajoz

Not sure which one I prefer at the moment.

Either of their stronger whole bean packs seem to do the trick.

caffe l'affare is a huuuuge coffee roasting company that probably roasts a tonne or more beans per week!

taste is not bad at all considering its so large scale compared to the few boutique roasters around

Allpress Rangitoto blend though a Moka pot on the stove. Served black.

i do like this blend a lot! have you tried the ponsonby blend by allpress? i think its quite good too :)

That stuff the cat-like creatures sh*t out.

No I haven't had that, but in my real world it would have to be Melba Vulcan lane, whatever they use. Soy or regular flat white, or regular cappuccino with toasted croissant amande to take away.

the cat poo coffee is called kopi luwak, or civet coffee

i also havent had a chance to try it but i would definitely try it in the future!

it costs about $50nz for a cup (dont know if its available here, i think it is somewhere in the south island maybe?)

a neighbours cat craps in my back garden, any of you all are more than welcome to remove it, continued supply garenteed

edit: mind you auckland water costs $50 a cup anyway so maybe not worth it?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I just run Robert Harris 'Harris blend' through my drip machine at home. It may not impress the coffee snobs but I tried most of the other brands in the supermarket but I like the flavour of that one the most.

Guest Ari Gold

Machine wise use a La Nuova Era Cuadra E61 head and a Mini Macho Grinder

:o

You just won the thread. Anyone whose spending c. $2K on machines alone is alright in my book.

Has to be Supreme beans for me, especially their single origins. Currently enjoying the Bob-o-link from Brazil very much, although the Mt Raung from Java is another favourite. Always have it freshly ground from a Hario ceramic burr hand grinder, and at work made using a Aeropress, at home either stovetop or aeropress.

Mmmmm... Gonna have one right now!

allpress diezengoff blend is my best. Rangitoto is my local's blend, I like it.

Ps why did u quote me? these are nespresso types.

Pps Starbucks ? really ? you guys need to get out more

Pps Starbucks ? really ? you guys need to get out more

everyone agrees their coffee is sh*t lol

I have a Nespresso machine at home, Roma is good, also the Arpeggio (purple) and Indriya, as well as their annual special blend. Only complain is often it's not hot enough, must drink within 5-10 minutes.

Otherwise, I like Espresso Workshop (Parnell & Britomart, Auckland) and Il Buco Ponsonby.

Cold coffee drinks from Starbucks are fine, hot drinks are yuck! I have yet to come across any good hot drink from Starbucks.

Speaking of chain stores, the better one is Esquire Dark Roast blend. You need to specifically ask when order (e.g. medium Latte on dark roast)

Altezano - house blend or casera - three cafes in city/Symonds St/newmarket and a Mt Eden roastery. Or quite like eight-thirty (ponsonby end of k-road) on occasion although I work in the city so its not handy. Quite like Espresso Workshop too - single origin espresso is often very interesting.

Have a Vibiemme Domobar (another E61 head) and Mazzer Mini, which delivers almost as good a result as you'll get anywhere. Totally worth it if you don't mind 3+ year payback, haha.

Edited by CamB

Every time I read this thread I want a coffee :blink:

Edited by Neal

Havana hands down for me. Preferably X-blend.

Ha you read my mind! Havana is the sh*t! I just have a cheapish 500 odd dollar machine, seems to do the job.

Whatever is on special.

Or Hummingbird if I feel indulgent.

Have a workmate that use to work for Gregg's in Dunedin. Would never buy their products after hearing what he had to say.

Avalanche Coffee for Supermarket brought beans for home made espresso. They seem to be the best tasting and consistent beans for the money.

There is only one place in Papakura who make a good Coffee, its on the round about on the main street, Mottletop ... other than that if I'm out and about I generally look for Allpress as I know its always consistently good and I am not going to feel ripped off

Otherwise, I like Espresso Workshop (Parnell & Britomart, Auckland) and Il Buco Ponsonby.

Cold coffee drinks from Starbucks are fine, hot drinks are yuck! I have yet to come across any good hot drink from Starbucks.

I was looking for that place online, Espresso Workshop, they have a branded stop on Manukau Road in Epsom and I ended up in there a few weeks ago by accident, was the best coffee I had had in a long time. Was pissing down with rain and is a relatively quiet spot but you you knew it was going to be good because of busy it was.

Worth checking out, easy parking and good cakes too!

Starbucks do a good Tall Hot Chocolate I recon, they have recently improved their Coffee but its still not worth the money, it is still a safer bet than a Chinese Bakery or Gas Station though.

I think the problem is people are not demanding good coffee and we accept some very average crap, I am not a coffee snob but I do have taste buds and tight budget and I always send mine back and ask for a refund if its bad, at $4-5 a cup it needs to be good.

Its interesting that NZ has become a Coffee culture and it is the biggest growing beverage type by a massive margin, it has grown from virtually nothing in ten years.