Sign in to follow this  
tobytoblerone

Thoughts on the 2013 7 series?

Loving the re-design of the headlamp assembly. Looks rather nice indeed!

Thoughts on the mid-generation facelift?

post-6674-1353567530.jpg

post-6674-1353567570.jpg

Looks nice but personally I prefer the new S-class.

Edit: BMW = Sporty + Luxury while Mercedes = Luxury + Sporty therefore I would choose Mercedes for a big executive sedan... Just my 2 cents

Edited by andy_e39

Certainly nicer than the previous, but have to agree with comment above - looks like it's going to sleep :mellow:

Looks nice but personally I prefer the new S-class.

Edit: BMW = Sporty + Luxury while Mercedes = Luxury + Sporty therefore I would choose Mercedes for a big executive sedan... Just my 2 cents

I'd buy the 7er because its kind of like owning a very nice suit, or a fine bottle of aged red wine. I love the engineering & thought with attention to detail that goes into these cars. It's fun when you buy one and over time during ownership you notice all the little details that give you a very pleasant surprise. Like the shades of gold in the wood grain or the welcoming chime as you enter the vehicle. Im such a big 5 & 7er fan, iDrive era though... Although I see you drive a e39. Those are a nice vehicle, my very first BMW was a e39 525i. Great machine, didn't think i'd ever get rid of it. owell.

Colour mmmm yep but dunno for a 7.

Front, like the front in the first pic better - a little more stately...except that it's going to sleep, just dunno on those brows. Liking the rear view more though.

Oh and E39's rule... :P

hmm the brows look a bit 1998. Mind you, I like them a whole lot more than the new 1 series turtle front lights.

I think the front is ostentatious and ghastly, quite like the rest though, but the E38 is still the number one 7er for me.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I think the first car has the Xenon lamps, and the Blue M-Sport one has the Adapative LED lights which is why they look slightly different.

A lot of the revisions have been made inside the car, especially with the technology around the "driver assist" functions. I'm looking forward to when the first ones arrive here in NZ to see some of these gadgets in action.

And hotwire - you are just biased about E39s!!

but the E38 is still the number one 7er for me.

160% agree

that bit where the numberplate holder swoops down through the front "bumper" and grille etc..... reminds me of Mater and his big bucky front teeth (off the movie "Cars") :lol:

Posted Image

And he's going to sleep ;)

The blue one looks like an Audi with Kidney grilles.

And... while I'm on a rant... what the hell is up with those grilles? I've had the odd bird stuck in a car grille, but you could get a cow stuck inside one of those things - They're huge! Bigger holes = less weight?

E39's totally rule B) (though I used to think they were a bit ugly too, when they were new :ph34r: )

And hotwire - you are just biased about E39s!!

And E30's and E12's :)

agree with everyone so far, something i noticed is that the side mirrors look very odd.. like they are sticking out too much... i dont know.. very weird to me

E39 & E38 BMW's are great cars, but you'll need to upgrade eventually dont you think? I had a E38 eariler this year for a brief 3 months... You might have seen me advertise it for sale on here, I had gotten it into an absolute state. Poor thing, absolutely abused the hell out of it. But it was such a smooth ride I must say, the overall quality of the E38 is very good such classic BMW luxury. But in saying that the E38 is centuries behind the E65 & F01, as is the E39.

Not a fan of 7's or big cars TBH, in NZ they make no sense, we don't have an Autobahn or highways like America so a car that big is kinda annoying for Kiwi roads and parking etc.. and that's before you account for maintenance.

The Alpina B7 looks like a good time though, they fettle a few things and look to ad an LSD.

If I needed something big I would take the new Audi S8, its a much more appealing car to driving enthusiasts.

I'm going to buck the trend and say I like it. I've always liked the 7 series because it's just a bit OTT. The new one looks very tidy. The grilles are too big - as is the rest of the car - but so it should be... It's for too big business men to drive round in feeling self important!

It does look a bit sleepy, but it's meant to because it's just soooo comfortable! The back end is the major improvement though I wish they'd get rid of that crappy chrome strip. It looked crap on the last one and no better on this.

Don't see the point of upgrading if you dont need or want to. The E38\E39 has enough tech for me without getting too complex\more things to go wrong and looks better.

Ive plenty of use out of my 7 on long trips and while i dont know about new generations but E38 and previous generations is pretty sure the same as the 5's

Saw a goldy/brown 730ld today, didn't look too bad

If you have driven one (probably one or two of you) they are very much a great cruiser and if you like to get up and go, they do that too! I like them very much, don't see a huge change in the LCI version but that's a good thing, they have it pretty spot on with seven styling.

Have driven plenty of E65's & yes they are a very well presented/specced, comfortable cruiser but to me still feel somewhat underwelming to drive - a characteristic of their size. Horses for courses though

Have driven plenty of E65's & yes they are a very well presented/specced, comfortable cruiser but to me still feel somewhat underwelming to drive - a characteristic of their size. Horses for courses though

Yes they can feel a bit boring to drive and very floaty. But that's what a 7 series is designed to do, it's classed as a limousine. So it's all about transporting people in absolute comfort, dampening road noise etc. I like the floating feeling, it feels safe & almost like your gliding on water everytime. The power delivery is nice, the car is so smooth the sound of the engine although quiet, still sounds amazing. On both the e65 & F01.

E65s are terrible, F01 is a far superior car!