Apex

Quick rant thread.

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not yesterday they weren’t, both heading south in the morning then back in the early arvo, light traffic both times.

So many drivers not aware in RH lane it was beyond annoying, some eventually pulled over to the left but there were still a few that had to be passed on the left. 

You’re still correct about AKL motorways though, maybe these were JAFAs that had got lost (couldn’t get off motorway??) and ended up in Waikato?

I wanted to give both a sad and a laughing emoji to this post.

Edited by M3AN

On 7/17/2023 at 8:27 PM, M3AN said:

Auckland drivers. SMH.

Waikato expressway, only the occasional selfish prick sits in the right hand lane, most use it for passing only.

North of Bombay, pick a lane that you like, at a speed you like, and just sit there, nobody else matters and mirrors obviously don't work. And heavy vehicles static in the middle lane, even when the left is empty, FFS you're a professional driver, you should know better, you're just being a lazy prick.

Seriously, if idiots carried on like this in most of Europe they'd lose their license for 3 months. Selfish truck drivers would have their company shamed in local media as being irresponsible, and rightly so.

I overtook on the side of the motorway the other weekend. By the time I exited SH1 at the next off ramp I could no longer see one car behind me. 

Rumor has it, people are people still stuck behind the two cars doing 95kph in the 110 zone. 

On a side note, the side of SH1 is no rougher nore bumpier than SH1. Recommended as second passing lane A++. 

• Haha 2

Things come in threes apparently... 

first the washing machine carked it, 

now the Pug's clutch has blown, probably the master cylinder siezed... 

here's hoping #3 isn't major. 

2 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

Things come in threes apparently... 

first the washing machine carked it, 

now the Pug's clutch has blown, probably the master cylinder siezed... 

here's hoping #3 isn't major. 

Alternator died. :(

Got house. :) 

Lost job 1 week later. :( 

Water pump died. :( 

• Sad 3

Pug was written off, was hit in the back :(  just had to be after i sorted all the issues. :sigh: 

Edited by lord_jagganath
  • Sad 3

Hope the insurance give you a decent price for it and don’t fob you off with “market value” BS.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Hope the insurance give you a decent price for it and don’t fob you off with “market value” BS.

they were ok jon, i had renewed the previous week, and the value was adjusted lower. lost some money but that is ok. 

• Like 1

Feeling ranty today.

Real estate agents not listing asking prices.

It would seem many of the established agents have moved on to other work and have been replaced with uber drivers looking for day jobs who don't seem to understand that the prospect of mortgaging a $1.4m house in a South Auckland slum area is a daunting prospect to many people.

• Like 2

Sold the 25 mm spacers that I had on my Maserati.  The guy got them and asked if the smaller ones should go on the front or the back.  Whaaat? I exclaimed. I've just found out that the spacers I was running for quite some time were 22mm and 25mm not 25mm all round as I had assumed.  I can't believe I f**ked that up and it explains why it's handling was all over the place, it probably had a different offset on the same axle or the same offset one side.  I lost a lot of sleep trying to figure out what was causing it to handle like a greased weasel.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Apex said:

Feeling ranty today.

It would seem many of the established agents have moved on to other work and have been replaced with uber drivers looking for day jobs who don't seem to understand that the prospect of mortgaging a $1.4m house in a South Auckland slum area is a daunting prospect to many people.

Do. Not. Get. Me Started.

(Sur)real Estate Agents have surpassed the [can't write the word I want to here ] that lawyers are supposedly known for. There seems to be a preponderance of ill-educated, slimy, self-entitled tossers around masquerading as people pretending to sell houses and property. PBN, POA, tender... All are pathetic excuses for not doing the job they are paid far to well for. Try offering any amount for a house and you're always told "the vendor has indicated that they'll not accept less than $ludicrous..."

SO WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT THAT ON THE LISTING AND SAVE ME THE BOTHER OF HAVING TO TALK TO YOU?!?!?!?!?

There are some good ones around but the days where an agen represented a vendor and worked to find a buyer, or would take a buyer's requirements and find a house, are loooong gone. It's a self-regulated industry.

And when you do finally get a house that a sensible offer is accepted on, the agent wants you - the buyer - to pay a hefty sum into a 'holding account' while contracts are sorted, titles are issued - whatever. I have never seen this done anywhere else. Who gets the interest off that money? Certainly not the seller, or the buyer. :angry:  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, gjm said:

Do. Not. Get. Me Started.

PBN, POA, tender...

I feel ya, although it's been a few years now but still feels raw:

Me: What range are they hoping for?

Agent: What do you think its worth?

Me: I dunno, you tell me.

A: Why don't you make an offer?

M: Ok i'll offer xyz.

A: That will be great.

Months later after auction passes in, see it listed a few hundred k over what the agent 'implied' was the range. Agent acts surprised when in reality they knew the expectation and wanted to either shame the vendor to drop the price, or justify their marketing fee by getting 10 offers and 500 feet in the door.

Usually after $500-1000 of DD

f**kety f**k f**k.  Went to fit new brake pads to the 535i and I have ordered the wrong ones.

Anyone need these?  Suit a F10 550i I believe.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-brake-pad-set-front-eur1409

Edited by GorGasm
  • Sad 1

“I don’t need a professional, I’ll just do it myself”

what they did:

IMG_7727.thumb.jpeg.96c3a4f89ecddc3bdfc9a2725e9621d3.jpeg

Edited by Karter16
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/26/2023 at 3:18 PM, Apex said:

Feeling ranty today.

Feel you. It's slimy. People will defend them saying they don't know the price, and that Tender/auction etc. is price discovery. Any agent worth their salt should know the market and know the price, they're just trying to get punters to accidentally overpay.

Sadly, the pendulum is swinging back, and you can only get something half-decent by throwing unreasonable money at it.

One of my most liberating moments was when our offer got accepted, and I could delete all the real estate apps and unsubscribe from the 100 mailing lists I ended up on. Thank god.
New place has a garage too, so I'll be able to do some sh*t myself instead of paying for expensive labour and NZ-sourced (overpriced like everything else we end up with down here) parts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, E63 said:

Feel you. It's slimy. People will defend them saying they don't know the price, and that Tender/auction etc. is price discovery. Any agent worth their salt should know the market and know the price, they're just trying to get punters to accidentally overpay.

Sadly, the pendulum is swinging back, and you can only get something half-decent by throwing unreasonable money at it.

One of my most liberating moments was when our offer got accepted, and I could delete all the real estate apps and unsubscribe from the 100 mailing lists I ended up on. Thank god.
New place has a garage too, so I'll be able to do some sh*t myself instead of paying for expensive labour and NZ-sourced (overpriced like everything else we end up with down here) parts.

Johnny mechanic is likely trying to pay a 5k a month lease on his 300sqm building and a 5k a month mortgage on the 300sqm house in South Auckland that his wife thought was a good idea in 2021.

There is a reason everything is "overpriced", people are literally trying to pay off property that cost them double what its actually worth at double the interest rate they took at the time. I have seen people paying down like $20 a month principle at the moment, that's depressing if you consider we are still a few years in this. 

The shop next to ours charges $13 for a bubble tea and they are still falling short to pay the lease on their porta-lo sized shop, its not a easy time to be in business unless your business revolves around being 60 years old and owning properties. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Apex said:

Johnny mechanic is likely trying to pay a 5k a month lease on his 300sqm building and a 5k a month mortgage on the 300sqm house in South Auckland that his wife thought was a good idea in 2021.

There is a reason everything is "overpriced", people are literally trying to pay off property that cost them double what its actually worth at double the interest rate they took at the time. I have seen people paying down like $20 a month principle at the moment, that's depressing if you consider we are still a few years in this. 

The shop next to ours charges $13 for a bubble tea and they are still falling short to pay the lease on their porta-lo sized shop, its not a easy time to be in business unless your business revolves around being 60 years old and owning properties. 

$20 principal is basically paying rent.. COVID really hammered the place.

We also can’t ignore the fact that everything we get here has to travel thousands of km across land and sea, and oil is expensive because of endless war.

• Like 1

Personally I don’t think it’s the oil prices making freight and shipping so expensive, the logistics industry lost billions of dollars during COVID and is looking to get some of that back quickly (same for lots of other industries).

Air freight has come back to less stupid levels as more airlines are flying again, but see freight and shipping is still stretched and charging big $$$

Source and buy local.. on no, wait a sec.

• Like 1

Air freight seems faster than ever though. DHL have been delivering stuff to me in 4 days from Europe. 

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

Air freight seems faster than ever though. DHL have been delivering stuff to me in 4 days from Europe. 

Nice. What European stores do you like to use? I’ve been thinking about some sport springs from Tunershop, shipping is a lot more reasonable than from the USA. ECS Tuning has some pisstake shipping quotes.

Spareto.com have been getting parts to me in just over a week. From Estonia! My recent order from chemist warehouse took 10 days from Auckland. 

Spareto.com does have various spring and shock options. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Spareto.com have been getting parts to me in just over a week. From Estonia! My recent order from chemist warehouse took 10 days from Auckland. 

Spareto.com does have various spring and shock options. 

Damn, that’s downright impressive. I’ll price up the stuff in my FCP Euro cart on there and see how it compares.

9 hours ago, E63 said:

Nice. What European stores do you like to use? I’ve been thinking about some sport springs from Tunershop, shipping is a lot more reasonable than from the USA. ECS Tuning has some pisstake shipping quotes.

Spareto for the most part these days. Schmeidmann for BMW stuff. Both way cheaper any US store. FCP is are more expensive and still use USPS i assume? (they suck compared to Fedex and DHL)

• Like 1

Yes FCP still use UPS which generally has longer delivery times. Pelican Parts is not bad. They give you the option to choose between different freight companies - UPS, DHL, FedEx. 

Spareto and Turners are good too. Garagistic if you are looking for heavy duty items or speedo gears. 

The part description on Spareto is not great but customer service makes up for it.