Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 750i refresh/resto log.

Front strut.

post-17205-0-66179600-1448680093_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

It got a cut and polish today. As good excuse as any to take a couple of pics.

Actually, first one is to one up a guy in the states who took a pic of his silver 740i between a couple of school buses.

Second pic is for Daniel in the USA who wanted me to post a pic of the car at the Castlecliff Domain. The building in the pic is called the Duncan pavilion and used to be a coffee shop back in the day. I have many fond memories of being a kid and going there to get a icecream that then got sand in it and melted everywhere..lol

3rd pic is just because..lol

post-17205-0-70669600-1448689703_thumb.j

post-17205-0-98267400-1448689759_thumb.j

post-17205-0-77524100-1448689790_thumb.j

• Like 2

Mmmm 7er E38 is looking good.

Still one of the best contemporary BMWs out there.

I love the straight purposeful lines, no other car has such lines, maybe the XJ jags of the 90s, but not quite the same as the E38s way of doing it.

An inch drop in height would do wonders for the overall look of the car.

• Like 2

Interesting observation on ride height. Mine has factory suspension but wheels tuck into guards more........apologies for filth - normally clean?

post-2431-0-28855200-1448694099_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Mmmm 7er E38 is looking good.

Still one of the best contemporary BMWs out there.

I love the straight purposeful lines, no other car has such lines, maybe the XJ jags of the 90s, but not quite the same as the E38s way of doing it.

An inch drop in height would do wonders for the overall look of the car.

My thoughts exactly. I love the lines on the E38. The carpark at work holds about 150 cars and the E38 really stands out among all the others there.

I've given up on trying to find lowering springs to get it to a height I want so I'm going to get the front springs compressed 2.5 inches and the rear is self leveling so I can adjust that manually.

Should bring the front to the same as the 740 and I'll drop the rear a little lower so it'll only just tuck the rear wheel.

• Like 1

Interesting observation on ride height. Mine has factory suspension but wheels tuck into guards more........apologies for filth - normally clean

The front looks about the same as yours which would be stock but I've played with the self leveling rear and raised it a bit. I'm going to drop it back down a as it's sitting to high atm.

I have these springs.

post-279-0-71656900-1448695468_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-76677700-1448695473_thumb.jpg

post-279-0-03353600-1448695478_thumb.jpg

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 3

What size tyres are you both running on the Style 32 rims?

Factory huuuuuge at 235 50 18. One way to fill the guards.....

• Like 1

What size tyres are you both running on the Style 32 rims?

Factory huuuuuge at 235 50 18. One way to fill the guards.....

Yup, 235 18's though they look a bit narrow compared to the 275's on the back of the 740..lol

A very nice fellow(Xboss) in the US who has been watching my thread on Bimmerforums sent me these a while ago.

They where prototypes and had no clips on the back and no holes in the homelink panel. He gave them to me to see if I could do something with them.

So I spent the day very very carefully attaching some metal clips I made and cutting holes in the homelink panel for the mic and sunroof switch.

Have to say the result was stunning.

Heres the old panel for comparison. lol

post-17205-0-02963200-1448767598_thumb.j

And heres the panel I was sent sitting in place.

post-17205-0-52054100-1448767624_thumb.j

And there's usually a leather covered panel under the center console armrest. Here's the one he gave me.

post-17205-0-70815900-1448767652_thumb.j

His workmanship is incredible. He's now doing piano black finishes with chromeline edging as well as the wood finished panels which now come with clips already attached.

Heres a link to his thread if anyone's interested.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2085016-Wood-home-link-panel-prototype-is-finally-done

• Like 6

Those are a very nice touch, looks nice and OEM too.

• Like 1

Those are a very nice touch, looks nice and OEM too.

He's very talented and can color match the pieces to individual cars wood.

I was incredibly lucky that this set had been made in red burl walnut so it's a perfect match for the rest of the wood in the 750i. And the finish really does look OEM.

Looks good Dave.

Gotta say though - I'm in favour of the 16:9 screen over the 4:3. Changed ours in the E39 many years back. Did take a little getting used due to losing the wood trim to but i wouldn't go back now.

• Like 1

Looks good Dave.

Gotta say though - I'm in favour of the 16:9 screen over the 4:3. Changed ours in the E39 many years back. Did take a little getting used due to losing the wood trim to but i wouldn't go back now.

Funny how things work out. I really didn't like it in the 750i. But if you check my 740i thread you'll see that I put it in there. And I love it. I think it matches the black interior of the 740i where as with the blue in the 750i it looked like a big black hole in the middle of the console.

The guy who gave me the wood pieces I've just installed is looking at doing a wood bezel for the 16:9. When he does I may look at it again. lol

• Like 2

In for Piano black pictures.

I like the wood everywhere in mine except for around the gear stick, would prefer that was flat black plastic like normal trim, its the only wood in mine that isnt around the edge of dash and doors, and looks out of place

Wouldnt mind a 16:9 screen too........

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 1

In for Piano black pictures.

I like the wood everywhere in mine except for around the gear stick, would prefer that was flat black plastic like normal trim, its the only wood in mine that isnt around the edge of dash and doors, and looks out of place

Wouldnt mind a 16:9 screen too........

post-17205-0-87110600-1448796658_thumb.j

Heres some of his other work.

Vavona anyone?

post-17205-0-20149500-1448796861_thumb.j

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

• Like 1

Very cool stuff.

Quite neat when you think about you can buy an E38 for peanuts and get a car which you can then personalise. When you're finished it does not really feel out of date or old at all. In a lot of ways I think there is more cool factor in an older car which has been superbly maintained and upgraded than a newer, more generic car.

• Like 3

Great to see Dave, the workmanship from xboss is something isn't it. The colour matching looks superb, to be honest probably better then OEM

• Like 1

Why is it when you tackle a job like this outside it decides it's going to rain.

A whole lot more work than the rear to give it a bit more fresh chrome but the fronts looking a bit better now.

post-17205-0-76381300-1448933723_thumb.j

Old chrome sitting over the new for comparison.

post-17205-0-77014300-1448933772_thumb.j

Looking much better. Still need new grills but that'll have to wait till after it's been re-painted.

post-17205-0-42260100-1448933810_thumb.j

• Like 3

Satisfying! Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a bit of extra work LOL, pull the whole front apart.

Looks amazing though, big difference

• Like 1

Satisfying! Great work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. It was satisfying to get rid of that pitted chrome.

Just a bit of extra work LOL, pull the whole front apart.

Looks amazing though, big difference

Yup. Was a big job but glad to have it done. The washer nozzles are bolted through the bumper and chrome and the only way to undo them is take the bumper off..lol

And because this arrived in the mail today and I'm well and truly over driving without drivers side mirror I replaced this. Another time consuming but satisfying job done. Not only was the mirror gone all the mounts where broken so I had to replace the entire mirror housing and wiring loom.

post-17205-0-94522300-1448942762_thumb.j

And the new one all cleaned up.

post-17205-0-08286500-1448942837_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1