Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 750i refresh/resto log.

Got bored and decided to experiment with the grills. I had a couple from the spare parts car with good chrome outer rings and thought I'd try some chrome paint on the inner black grills. Looks quite striking even if I do say so myself..lol

post-17205-0-31371600-1448954355_thumb.j

One more to go but you get the idea. Will finish it tomorrow.

post-17205-0-56189200-1448954406_thumb.j

• Like 5

All that chrome and clean up, it'll really pop Dave, awesome job

• Like 1

now all you need are some chrome spinners and a chrome chain around the rear view mirror

• Like 4

Oh so pretty.

post-17205-0-95399600-1449031917_thumb.j

Painting the last wheel now.

I was going to paint the r/rear window trim piano black but I'm thinking I'm going to run out of time before the weekend so I'll just have to live with it..lol

Wash, polish and groom the interior and I'm ready to go. :D

• Like 2

The grilles really lift that front end.

Has the barge got xenon lights? Some angel eye rings would dress it up i reckon. Is there a retrofit kit?

• Like 2

The grilles really lift that front end.

Has the barge got xenon lights? Some angel eye rings would dress it up i reckon. Is there a retrofit kit?

Yup, they're Xenon. No Angel eyes yet but they're on the to do list. As is this now..lol

cm6.jpg

Another interesting thing happened this morning when I started it up and began backing out the driveway. There where 2 new alarms going off randomly. To be honest it freaked me out a bit and my first reaction was to check the dash for errors. ha ha. Turns out I did something right when I put the front of the car back together. The PDC is now working. Working so well I've just had to cut the long grass that had gone to seed up the top of the driveway cause it was setting the front and rear PDC alarms off at the same time.. lmao

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 5

After a lot of mucking around and trying different amps and radio modules I finally got the stereo working in the 750i. Yayyyyyy

Also got the ph to work too. Bonus.

So other than get the rim changed over tomorrow I think I've run out of things to do to it.

Damn it. No excuses now. I'll have to mow the lawns. Yawn.

can i suggest tidying up that front plate with just a bit of black paint (over the scratched up Y) and possibly custom make some decals in black or something to stick over the blue NZ and fern sides? the blue doesnt go well with the clean silver and chrome theme IMO. pretty pedantic but hey, you seem to be running low on ideas so why not??

• Like 1

can i suggest tidying up that front plate with just a bit of black paint (over the scratched up Y) and possibly custom make some decals in black or something to stick over the blue NZ and fern sides? the blue doesnt go well with the clean silver and chrome theme IMO. pretty pedantic but hey, you seem to be running low on ideas so why not??

I agree with you about the blue on the plates and I will fix the "Y'. I'd never noticed it before. Maybe because the clearcoat peeling off the bonnet draws the eye away from the "Y". lol

Just don't get the plate remanufactured as the new font is a step back from what you have.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Had to do it and glad I did.

Headlights refreshed and the black is now silver. Really lifted the front of the car.

And the "Y" is fixed thanks Kyu. :)

post-17205-0-48856400-1449211847_thumb.j

• Like 5

Good to meet you yesterday, Dave. The 750 looks fantastic and was a standout at the meet for me. Actually, a standout because it wasn't a golf or 3 series!!! Big cars FTW!!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 4

Cheers Jooles. Was good to meet you all too. Nice to finally be able to put faces to names. Good meet you to Kyu.

Gotta say, I knew your car was super nice from the pics but to see it in person. Wow.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 2

although it kind of seems like you're talking about my car.. we all know you mean julians car.. :ph34r: jelly

• Like 3

Picked up a few parts while I was in Auckland. One of which was this.

So glad to finally have this off the boot.

Old.

post-17205-0-92664500-1449458559_thumb.j

New and much improved.

post-17205-0-80998900-1449458629_thumb.j

Also picked up a rear bumper so I can now do the tow bar delete without leaving a hole in the bumper where the tow bar goes through and got the 750il disk and calipers to upgrade the brakes on the 740i.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 4

Awesome. Looking great. What's the difference in the brakes between the 740/750il? Does the 750i share the brakes with the il, or the other swb cars?

• Like 1

Awesome. Looking great. What's the difference in the brakes between the 740/750il? Does the 750i share the brakes with the il, or the other swb cars?

750i-il brakes are the same. The front disks and calipers are larger than the 740i by quite a bit so theoretically more stopping power. It's been argued on other forums that it'll make no difference and at the end of the day ABS and tires will have the final say but if that was the case why would BMW have bothered making them bigger. Beyond all that I do drive the 740i hard at times and bigger disks and calipers will mean less heat and less brake fade under hard consistent braking,.

• Like 1

750i-il brakes are the same. The front disks and calipers are larger than the 740i by quite a bit so theoretically more stopping power. It's been argued on other forums that it'll make no difference and at the end of the day ABS and tires will have the final say but if that was the case why would BMW have bothered making them bigger. Beyond all that I do drive the 740i hard at times and bigger disks and calipers will mean less heat and less brake fade under hard consistent braking,.

Sounds like a good call. I'd always go bigger, given the choice. Plus big brakes look cool.

• Like 3

Gave it a wash today.

Looking pretty again.

post-17205-0-60611100-1452226499_thumb.j

Then because I washed it at my Fathers house he commented about how nice it was looking and that he wished he had time to wash and polish his Spitfire now that it's registered and wof'd for summer.

Then he pulled it out of the shed and lamented in front of me about how dull the paint was looking. After a few more not so subtle comments I relented and gave it a wash, clay bar, cut and polish..lol

Before.

post-17205-0-88538400-1452226687_thumb.j

After.

post-17205-0-53183600-1452226711_thumb.j

• Like 5

Gave it a wash today.

Looking pretty again.

Looks good!

I'll give you what you paid, plus $500 :lol:

• Like 1

Looks good!

I'll give you what you paid, plus $500 :lol:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

looking sharp. And good on you for taking care of your old boy, it's what every good son should do. #8 )

• Like 2