Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 750i refresh/resto log.

No more for now..lol. :ph34r:

I have a 1/4 acre paddock out the back that I'm NOT going to fill up with E38's.

NO MORE E38's FOR DAVEyeahright.0.jpg

• Like 5

think the stereo issue could be the ignition switch starting to crap out.

try opening the sun visors and vanity lights and see if it changes anything.

try opening the sun visors and vanity lights and see if it changes anything.

Thanks guys. It's a easy job so I'll pull the ignition switch out of the parts car and put the into the 740i. I assume thats the one your talking about Andy.

^^^^^ I was being a cheap arse & repaired mine. It failed about 4 yrs ago, I pulled it apart one arvo, cleaned the contacts & its been fine ever since.

• Like 1

No pics yet but I couldn't wait and put the style 32's on the 750i.

Looks better and it feels much nicer to drive now. A bit more in touch with the road.

I've got 5 wheels so I'll have a go at re-painting one of the wheel's at a time. Not the most economical way of doing things but it'll have to do.

• Like 1

Feels like a different car with the 18's on it. I'm enjoying driving it a bit more now.

Might have a go at replacing the right rear door. I have a week off from Monday so Things will start to progress again.

The 740i's had a bit of luv lately so time for the 750i to get a bit of attention.

post-17205-0-21462900-1443856150_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am fan boy of the style 32 and that looks great! Major win with your parts car. You probably already know this but the shadow chrome finish on the wheels is really vulnerable - just clean with water and a lambs wool mit to keep clean. I managed to ruin mine with chemicals.

Edited by NUSTAD
  • Like 2

I am fan boy of the style 32 and that looks great! Major win with your parts car. You probably already know this but the shadow chrome finish is really vulnerable - just clean with water and a lambs wool mit to keep clean. I managed to ruin mine with chemicals.

The chrome on the 750i is stuffed. One of the reasons I bought the green 735i is the chrome on that was mint so I have a good set to go on after I've finished all the panel swaps.Cant wait to get the door changed. That little dent is a real eyesore.

• Like 1

^^^^^Paintless (sp)

Yep a good idea if not too bad or creased. I have had great results with this on various cars. Only as good as the operator though.

• Like 1

Painless dent removal?

Style 32's look tits.

^^^^^Paintless (sp)

Yep a good idea if not too bad or creased. I have had great results with this on various cars. Only as good as the operator though.

Unfortunately it's creased.

Given the cost to panel and paint it I'll go the "painless" route and swap a door over from the 728i which is the same color. Eventually I'll swap over the bonnet and r/f guard too.

Hope the colour code is the same or the difference may be obvious.

Hope the colour code is the same or the difference may be obvious.

I checked before I bought it that the 728i was Titansilber metalic (354). I hope it matches. Guess I'll find out this week..lol

Joys of having spares, nice work Dave

Nothings ever easy. A job I thought was going to take a couple of hours ended up taking all day.

Replaced the right rear door today.

post-17205-0-02195800-1444027038_thumb.j

Discovered the donor car didn't have rear air bags so I had to swap over the doors wiring looms. And in the process pulled out the lock actuator with the loom. DON'T DO THIS. It took me over an hour to get it back in.

post-17205-0-51671500-1444027083_thumb.j

post-17205-0-27937500-1444022842_thumb.j

post-17205-0-32822000-1444023588_thumb.j

So, the new door is on and it's nice to look at the car and not see the dent anymore. There are a couple of "buts" though.

You where right Grant. It's a slightly darker silver and I never took note that the window trim on the 750i is piano black and the 728i is just black. I also didn't notice that the window is de-laminating so at some stage in the future I'll have to swap out the window and the window trim. Not looking forward to that job..lol

It still needs a slight adjustment to get the fit right but I'm done for today.

post-17205-0-49687400-1444023304_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 3

Surprised the donor didn't have rear door air bags. My 99 E39 does as I think earlier ones do too.

Being critical Dave but photo suggests a different colour shade or is it just camera/light?

Also - needs better aligning (raising) at leading edge :)

i would have kep the original door and got it fixed up eventually rather than swap things over but whats done is done so no going back now i suppose

Surprised the donor didn't have rear door air bags. My 99 E39 does as I think earlier ones do too.

Being critical Dave but photo suggests a different colour shade or is it just camera/light?

Also - needs better aligning (raising) at leading edge :)

Yeah, It is a different shade but in the long run it wont matter too much and I'll align it tomorrow. I'd had enough for today..lol

i would have kep the original door and got it fixed up eventually rather than swap things over but whats done is done so no going back now i suppose

I'm going to swap over the right front guard and bonnet as well because it's had some backyard repairs done and those panels are full of bog. Then at some stage it'll be repainted so in the long run I'm saving by not having a panel beater work on it.

• Like 1

cardinal sin you undone the hinges from the door .......

nooooo don't do that , just undo the bolt that goes up through the middle of the hinge then the door just lifts off and the next door

will slide back on and most likely be in perfect alignment as bmw set them up at the factory

ah well too late now . looks nice though

and keep up the good work

cardinal sin you undone the hinges from the door .......

nooooo don't do that , just undo the bolt that goes up through the middle of the hinge then the door just lifts off and the next door

will slide back on and most likely be in perfect alignment as bmw set them up at the factory

ah well too late now . looks nice though

and keep up the good work

Thanks for the tip. I may have another one to do yet so I'll keep that in mind for next time. Cheers.

Edited by kulgan

Dave it's all in the research and a learning curve Brent beat me to it with the door hinge thing, did the same thing myself cost me hours and plenty of blue language. Next time you might get it in two hrs haha.

Straight as can be. :D

post-17205-0-30527500-1444096540_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 4