Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

MissBM V.2

Discount tyres can get pss in. I paid 650 for each rear in 275/35/18 size. Managed to find a front set in 245/40/18 new off tm for 600 so keep your eyes peeled.

That's more than P Zero.. For easier sizes.

I'm looking at 235/35/19 & 265/30/19

$1800 for a set of P Zero

$1400 for a set of Nitto Invos.

PSS guaranteed to be in between?

Have a look at tirerack.com.

Usually cheaper to import from them, even after shipping and taxes are added.

Have a look at tirerack.com.

Usually cheaper to import from them, even after shipping and taxes are added.

Probably not with the shocking exchange rate :/ but I'll have a look anyways, thanks!

might be time to buy a Mazda Demio hack lol

might be time to buy a Mazda Demio hack lol

I've got a new S3 sedan lined up as a daily work car... Just waiting for the boss to approve Hahahahah

M3 not a daily anywho, just get weekend drives - but long ones.

Tyres? Where's Ron? ;)

IMHO - from "best" to "great":

No budget limit - Pirelli

Large budget - Michelin

Only in the dry - Nitto

Practical cost/performance - Goodyear or Bridgestone

I use Eagle F1's and swear by them, I can't believe how well they grip and how well they wear. I'm running asymmetrical rears (dubious benefit) and directionals up front (pronounced benefit) and love them. There's absolutely no way I can stress these tyres driving on the open road and I'll be using track tyres for the track. I do wonder why people pay for more tyre than they need.

From my thread (because I couldn't remember!):

March 2014:

255/35/18 - $299 each fitted and balanced

225/40/18 - $239 each fitted and balanced

I've had them for nearly 2 years and 15k kms and the embedded logos haven't even worn off! These will last at least 30k kms... you're not going to get that from the top 3 listed above.

Best wishes, it's a big investment.

Edited by M3AN

too many factors which make up 'tyre wear' A good starting point is suspension geometry.

Yes you're going to pay through the nose for good tyres but these will also out perform mediocre tyres in various aspects as judged by the motoring journalists who go through the hassle of testing them.

just don't put land sails on the M3. Please.

• Like 1

too many factors which make up 'tyre wear' A good starting point is suspension geometry.

Yes you're going to pay through the nose for good tyres but these will also out perform mediocre tyres in various aspects as judged by the motoring journalists who go through the hassle of testing them.

Well given I'm looking at only a select few options, I doubt any of them would be land sails...

It's between P Zero, Michelin PSS, Invos.

Maybe: Eagle F1, RE003/2, N8000/SU1

I just need to spend a few days reading up :)

I have found the re003 pretty good , actually really good

I have found the re003 pretty good , actually really good

I have 17" RE003 245's on my E36 325i - they are an impressive tyre for the price, however when I was looking for them in 19's for the M3 they were a lot more pricey in comparison to the highly rated Dunlop Sport Maxx's in the same size.

Tyres? Where's Ron? ;)

IMHO - from "best" to "great":

No budget limit - Pirelli

Large budget - Michelin

Only in the dry - Nitto

Practical cost/performance - Goodyear or Bridgestone

I use Eagle F1's and swear by them, I can't believe how well they grip and how well they wear. I'm running asymmetrical rears (dubious benefit) and directionals up front (pronounced benefit) and love them. There's absolutely no way I can stress these tyres driving on the open road and I'll be using track tyres for the track. I do wonder why people pay for more tyre than they need.

From my thread (because I couldn't remember!):

I've had them for nearly 2 years and 15k kms and the embedded logos haven't even worn off! These will last at least 30k kms... you're not going to get that from the top 3 listed above.

Best wishes, it's a big investment.

Agreed. Running Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on my 335i and reckon they are great for a car that has in the region of 300hp.

Mag and Tyre sell them for approx $300 each if in stock. Some other places will charge about $500 for them so shop around before paying that much.

Land sails?

Agreed. Running Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on my 335i and reckon they are great for a car that has in the region of 300hp. 

Mag and Tyre sell them for approx $300 each if in stock. Some other places will charge about $500 for them so shop around before paying that much.

For $300 a tyre I can get Invos.

Just waiting back on price for PSS

Land sails?

The P/O of my M3 fitted Landsail tyres to it. As soon as it's wet you're certainly sailing.

• Like 2

You won't notice any difference between tyres (to a point) unless you have something to compare them with under high stress conditions, and of course everybody has several sets lying around to do just that. Just buy what you can afford and ignore all the helpful suggestions.

You won't notice any difference between tyres (to a point) unless you have something to compare them with under high stress conditions, and of course everybody has several sets lying around to do just that. Just buy what you can afford and ignore all the helpful suggestions.

Might be the oddball here but I certainly feel the differences between cheap vs mid vs high quality?

Maybe I just test my cars well.. Take them around a few tight corners quickly, open them up etc.

The M5 had brand new roadstones on the back when purchased............awful! Replaced with Michelin PSS and the difference was immediate. A fan of these......

For a start the DSC light doesn't come on quite so frequently............

So... Just got the quote for PSS.

I'm going to miss them. About an arm and a leg.

P Zero and Invos top of list for now.

So... Just got the quote for PSS.

I'm going to miss them. About an arm and a leg.

P Zero and Invos top of list for now.

If your P Zero quote was less than your PSS quote then you were either quoted cheap Pirelli P Zeros (Nero or Rosso) and not the "proper" P Zeros (Corsa) or you got a damn good deal on them. In a normal world there's no way you can get Corsas for less than PSS's but if you can then grab them.

And remember that unless something has changed in recent times those Nittos are not a premium tyre and are very average in the wet. You'd be better of with the Goodyear or Bridgestone options I would think.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2

If your P Zero quote was less than your PSS quote then you were either quoted cheap Pirelli P Zeros (Nero or Rosso) and not the "proper" P Zeros (Corsa) or you got a damn good deal on them. In a normal world there's no way you can get Corsas for less than PSS's but if you can then grab them.

And remember that unless something has changed in recent times those Nittos are not a premium tyre and are very average in the wet. You'd be better of with the Goodyear or Bridgestone options I would think.

I get tyres at cost plus a little bit through work. And Pirelli are the main supplier for us so better pricing.

I get tyres at cost plus a little bit through work. And Pirelli are the main supplier for us so better pricing.

I think you just answered your own question there.

I think you just answered your own question there.

This.

I wouldn't bother with other quotes, or the stress of deciding if you can get a set of Corsas for anywhere near the price of PSS's.

• Like 1

This.

I wouldn't bother with other quotes, or the stress of deciding if you can get a set of Corsas for anywhere near the price of PSS's.

I had hoped PSS would be similar pricing.

Waiting on one other place for a quote who does an excellent price as well.

I asked for standard P Zero quote and that's the price they gave.

Main differences between the Corsa, Rossa Nero? Isn't one for like extra load or weight or something? I haven't actually looked much into P Zero as was hoping PSS would be good deal lol.

Damn, you've got all the hook-ups girl! And don't get me wrong, PSS is a great tyre but the Corsa is arguably the best.

Nowadays P Zero is actually a range, not a specific tyre and Nero, Rossa and Corsa all sit at different price points to satisfy different markets. I don't even know if all three are available locally. The Corsa is the balls-out super car tyre that's considered the bees knees by most. It's a "system" whereby the fronts are directional and the rears are asymmetrical and they use Pirelli's best street compound. This is the P Zero tyre.

I believe, but stand to be corrected that the Nero and Rossa use the same compound as each other and it's more a "normal" performance compound rather than a "special" compound as in the Corsa. The difference between these two is tread pattern optimised for slightly different compromises (because a tread pattern is by definition, a compromise for dry grip and traction). The Nero has better wet performance and the Rossa is oriented slightly towards better comfort and lower noise.

Corsa > PSS > Rossa > Nero in outright performance terms. The high end Goodyear and Bridgestone tyres are in Rossa territory but all are "max performance summer" tyres (all super AAA rated for well over 300km/h).

Both the Nero and the Rossa are asymmetrical only (last time I looked) so you can't optimise the setup with directional fronts. You really want directional fronts for wet weather performance and more precise and faster steering, I'm not sure the PSS's offer this as an option yet? Whether asymmetrical rears are required is debatable but isn't going to hurt.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

So in short,

I can't go wrong with a set of P Zeros regardless of type?

I got the quote the same time I asked for 599 tyres, and was told same type..

Anywho. $1830 incl for a set of 235 and 265 seem like a good deal to me.

Now to justify spending that much on them hahaha