Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Site Downtime

Sorry about the site downtime, have had issue over the last week with servers getting to hot. Have disabled thermal shutdown until a resolve for the cooling issues is found.

• Like 5

You're not alone.
I've seen corporate data centres with portable industrial fans in them to try and keep temps down.

• Like 1

indeed, thanks for the update, and all the hard work you do to keep things running.

hopefully disabling thermal shutdown protection doesn't put your kit at risk.

• Like 1

Would rather see the site vanish for a wee bit than risk you guys nuking your gear!

You're not alone.
I've seen corporate data centres with portable industrial fans in them to try and keep temps down.

Lol, have worked in small server rooms in the past with IT guys running in carrying multiple $20 fans from the Warehouse in desperation. Then going into utter panic mode when the current draw from the fans is enough to trip the RCD on the wall outlet. Schadenfreude ftw!! :D

• Like 1

Have disabled thermal shutdown until a resolve for the cooling issues is found.

That seems risky. Probably due to the unusually hot weather we've been having.

All good, jamez has been spraying water on it instead, seems legit.

• Like 8

Fans dont work over the long term, they just blow the hot air around and make it even warmer, need a solution to get the heat outside. Only way is to throttle back performance really.

maybe a second hand Coke machine and install gear inside. Only would need to chill to about 20 degrees ?

Only way is to throttle back performance really.

Heat pump in our server room seems to work fine. It's only small room though, its no DC.

Heat pump in our server room seems to work fine. It's only small room though, its no DC.

A heat pump brings in cold air (whilst making outside warmer). I think what Andy was meaning the fans in the servers themselves and the portable fans that only blow the air around, which cools the air by heating everything in the room up if the air can't get outside. So when everything in the room heats up the fans become ineffective as there is nowhere for the heat to go.

Or something to that effect

You should install a complex liquid cooling system, running under a great pressure, and use lots of economical plastic to do it.

Having said that, Bimmersport is hardly a high demand website, not does it require a datacenter to keep the wheels turning.

What does it run off James? or is it hosted through your work?

It's running off a virtual server on my blade cluster which is in a C3000 blade chassis at Hampton Downs.

I am looking at moving it to a cluster at work though.

Traffic wise, the VPS has moved quite a bit in just under 2 days.

16:32:40 up 1 day, 18:14,

RX packets 51717195 bytes 54970010770 (51.1 GiB)

RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0
TX packets 24506792 bytes 7954451946 (7.4 GiB)
TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0

It's running off a virtual server on my blade cluster which is in a C3000 blade chassis at Hampton Downs.

On the whole they seem to be pretty reliable but i can see why you are having heat issues.

Let me know if you get fan/psu/components fail as we have those come through work and ones similar.

Probably have some more blades for it too if not populated.

Im sure i can donate to keep Bimmersport running.

• Like 3