OLLIE

New Bimmersport Leadership / Owner Wanted

It was Ollie that I spoke to.

I'll give him a call tomorrow.

• Like 1

I wonder if BMW New Zealand would see an opportunity here to pick up the hosting cost (sponsorship) and provide an easy mechanism plus sharp pricing on parts for members ? When asked I got some not shocking prices out of them and was easy enough to deal with. I think they are missing an opportunity in the parts space.

Plenty of nerds here that could do the admin / infra management.

🤔

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cement said:

I wonder if BMW New Zealand would see an opportunity here to pick up the hosting cost (sponsorship) and provide an easy mechanism plus sharp pricing on parts for members ? When asked I got some not shocking prices out of them and was easy enough to deal with. I think they are missing an opportunity in the parts space.

🤔

Great point - if something along those lines were possible it would bring a point of difference to the bimmersport community as well.

2 hours ago, Cement said:

👀

I'm a web dev and could lend a hand 😅
Let me know

4 hours ago, Cement said:

🤔

From my (limited) experience with corporate structures Bimmersport is probably more aligned with the ethos of BM Workshop and Parts. 

Now with a well run workshop and parts supply in Christchurch as well as the Auckland locations, an approach to the owner based in Auckland  may be worth exploring.

5 hours ago, Cement said:

🤔

They already do that to an extent and more with the BMW NZ club. Cant see them ever being affiliated with another club.

I think generally forums aren't popular enough these days to provide a good financial incentive, hence the decline of most of them along with sponsors. I feel like forums these days tend to be used like libraries, you only go there when you need some information and leave. Unless the next generation alpha reinvigorate forum popularity or at least the concept of them, its just un-intelligent social media for the foreseeable future.

• Sad 1

OK.

I've had a chat with Ollie and have more info.

Question - how do we proceed? @Karter16 and @innoxious have expressed some interest (no commitment made or expected!).

I'm not suggesting any sort of secret society nonsense but if there is a small group of people with interest in running and managing the forum, it'd be good to explore some ideas.

That can be done in open forum, or more 'quietly' via messaging.

• Like 1

Yeah let’s setup a chat to work through it - as you say no “secret society” or anything, but means we can chat in detail. I’ll PM you.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of responses. :)

Planning to sort a discussion after the weekend, so please get in touch if you'd like to be more involved in running the premier BMW forum in NZ.!

Despite not being involved (read: engaged) recently with BS I've always had a soft spot for it (except in 2020 but most of those bad apples seem to have fallen from the tree), and would like to see it survive. I'm also old enough to understand the real benefits of forums over modern social media.

Way back in the day (early 2000's) this place was a viable business if the conversations I had with then-owners were valid, it made more in sponsorship and donations than it cost to run. That's not viable now because, I'm afraid to say, there's no active ownership and moderation is stretched and (perhaps understandably) jaded.

Two sponsors at $500 a year each, and some technical contribution from members, is probably all it needs but the sale value is nostalgic only and certainly nothing like the numbers floating around a few years back, that was dreaming. If the owners want to sell the domain for anything more than the cost of registration, it'll be a stretch. And what do they want to do if they don't get a good offer? Sit on the domain out of spite? Any help migrating the domain from one ownership group to another would however be value worth compensating.

I dunno but if any organising committee feels I might add value, I'd be happy to consider trying.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

I dunno but if any organising committee feels I might add value, I'd be happy to consider trying.

Dave - we have a group message running but I'm unable to invite you to participate: apparently "M3AN cannot receive messages." Mailbox full?

12 hours ago, gjm said:

Dave - we have a group message running but I'm unable to invite you to participate: apparently "M3AN cannot receive messages." Mailbox full?

Indeed 101%!

Now down to 91% full. 😇

• Like 1