Sign in to follow this  
Twistee

I need a sanity check please - E46 Sedan

I'm looking for a run about, just to do trips to school , local shops etc. Basically the hard start stop, short distance stuff that an S85 engine does not care for. I was thinking something like this :

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/320i/listing/3211440747?bof=xYyQq5jp

1587406352.jpg

Currently listed at $4,250 ONO - Thoughts or other options please.

Thanks.

Looks good.

It will all come down to how well its been serviced.

Also, the clearcoat likes to lift on the red e46 so if you wont be garaging it, that is something to consider

I'm not a huge fan of red paint at the best of times, and this wouldn't be garaged. Early days of looking, something else may popup, I won't be doing anything until lockdown is well and truly over anyway.

Thanks for the input @zero

Id look for something with a bigger engine, personally. The small six ainst going to be that much more economical and it will be painfully slow if my old 323i is anything to go by.

6 minutes ago, aja540i said:

get a Leaf! ;)

You know what, as an around town car, ideal. It's actually covered 90% of my driving requirements. 

Back to BMWs, as other have said, the E46 reds like to peel. 
I'd probably avoid the 320i, but you know what, the M43 powered 318i's aren't too bad. 

E46 325i in silver should be low maintenance, easy to find and cheap while still being pleasant to bomb around in.

• Like 2

I had a silver 4 door 325i msport with the same alcantara interior seen in this red one. That thing was the tits for a daily rag about, I miss it. Wish they did an M3 version of that interior. 

14 hours ago, Twistee said:

I'm looking for a run about, just to do trips to school , local shops etc. Basically the hard start stop, short distance stuff that an S85 engine does not care for. I was thinking something like this :

There does seem to be some good buying in the E46 at the moment, prices seem to have pretty much bottomed out (even E36 are going up now!) and they are still a great looking car - especially in that spec, LCI with M Tech II body kit.

A bigger engine would be good if you want to zoom, but if it's just pootling around town the 2.2ltr might be adequate. Wagons are nice, but of the options given in this thread I would take the M-Sport sedan over the non-M Sport wagon but then that is my personal taste. Quite often regret selling my wagon tbh.

If you are not too fussed about the lack of modern tech - or want to fit aftermarket nav, etc systems then they are still great cars. I'm now off to browse TradeMe, dammnit now look what you've made me do!!

• Like 4

Not bad, especially being a manual.

I might have a fog light that would fit in that hole in the front bumper…

On 9/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, aja540i said:

get a Leaf! ;)

I would, it ticks all the boxes of a drop kid at school, go to shop and it has enough room for a pallet of Monster energy drink - definitely must have better cup holders than the M5, seriously anyone that complains about SMG needs a reality check, the worlds greatest after thought drinks holders (ignoring the M6) top the list of dumb things in an E60/61interior :D Sadly though they are electric and hip so anything half good is creeping up in price and well beyond what I want to spend for a car that will do a max of 2km of a travel a day.

On 9/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, Driftit said:

I like that wagon, I totally need another wagon in my life. Jokes aside it looks very nice. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Chip said:

SA import but nonetheless still a great buy

Also agree, nice car. If I had to pick one for a daily shopping trolley dad mobile I'd probably pick the silver wagon. I'll see if it's still around post lockdown. 

3 hours ago, Ghost Chip said:

SA import but nonetheless still a great buy

My bad, saw the plate and incorrectly assumed it was NZ NEW 😅