nzsapper

540 on Trade Me

Theres is a yard in Palmerston Nth that parks all old stock by my daughters swim club

There's a couple that are still on trade me and look pristine when in actual fact they are just left to rot

540 1996 BMW 540i TIDY V8 | Trade Me Motors

Not so tidy now 

NlwWOGVckWB7j7P666-s4DM5WZ0NaBE1n849ULH7943KEnvwMxmamGEQp6l-YtPDdBqwUYS6z_zhWVbx3VDjxPYGhrcsBbdr65kkSukrgUb_OsAdHRh3IVfjg6fK3r2EPaWREqOtTSMqRHOEUSsNF1c81_CS2cWJ6vQGZTii27RzwBIt3fk86BwknWeIrjHpC1zPqBryrajSIB7dT-4URJMgAe3WWSPGvASuKHokg7FE7uF5TH8HqrlDb_d1oqaj0FtbK3IES1k9JnD7D6Y68lY4P2GPgFGnXDt9sg7f0_AvdwoItn53cpPQqrhbbRoqdCQRlJR7vNJ5K7IVt5T1DUUbXnIQC6ee32VP0moHpwyNhdgTY60Ig-0kR5WmgmCScYxYyWGw04XM1moiI9w5poxCm-791juvdUlzNaF8IyFjbeqwKVsGz2gLJtNhE9YEemRPmAVXJv_1dcVG6l267_z-6UiD8QKsyBJKYx0p3GexsR7NaCGrZ7U_BGnPEmA2LqnusWvgVjvpnf6gwSjqrE8k90_rnDxwhs2vLzzkNDWB7OFrpNf9JG9asjh1p4cWEHffvPhHf2j9AMbeUcHHLYyYR5LEjmnJ0rYwDZcqKx02BigvVssdywM3t44j2bigWqyuqrH7xmw-wFBJvxYlCz-PHcEoL-plkZt9THXakb_6IU1AKhUNYpCsE86_PuIsuNOuZfV9qHQyk3Saxvkv3KQ=w708-h943-no?authuser=0

• Sad 1

Michael grant motors! I remember their yard from when I was at high school.... I can't imagine they are still in business

The data was provided for CAR180 by MotorWeb on 10 December 2019, 2:01 PM 😂

5 hours ago, Brianr70 said:

The data was provided for CAR180 by MotorWeb on 10 December 2019, 2:01 PM 😂

It’s longer than that. That car has been discussed on here years ago.

Here you go, in this thread (from 2015), it says listed in 2009!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael. said:

Still one of the weirdest things. 

Its like time stopped for this car haha 

Time stopped for the dealer. Time hasn't stopped for the car 😥

• Haha 3

Even in 2015 we were discussing that that car is probably the longest listed car on there.  It was listed 12 years ago!

• Haha 1

I wonder if there is a unique ecosystem inside the car now. Must be pretty funky by now.. 

I know a car dealer in Lower Hutt who could definitely beat 12 years on cars for sale 😂

Wait there is more , what about his pristine example of an  E36. There is also a few e46s lurking in the background of the second and 3rd pics that are advertised as well. 

e36.jpg

mg 2.jpg

mg 1.jpg

• Like 1

kinda sad to see good cars be treated like that 😥

7 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

kinda sad to see good cars be treated like that 😥

I do wonder what could be  in the shed if this is what is left outside

OMG what, that place cant be functioning, surely? Did the owner die or something?

If you look at Michael Grant Motors on street view you can see a few cars that seem to consistently be on the yard over the years. 

It's absolutely bizarre. Most of the other cars on the yard seem to be somewhat reasonably priced (as far as cheap car yards go) so its strange the same logic never applied to the BMWs. 

I'm not an accountant but could the overpriced BMWs that have sat for years that are supposedly worth 15K be a smoke screen for some creative tax returns or something?

Just the space they have taken up from the many years they have been for sale would far exceed their actual value, especially when coupled with the amount of maintenance they would need from 12+ years of sitting in the sun. Probably just worth scrap value at this point.  

This E39 Touring looks to be an example:

2009:

322784772_ScreenShot2021-11-25at7_03_59PM.thumb.png.ca305005a14432f2dbe460de0fc7a66f.png

2015:

1348007794_ScreenShot2021-11-25at7_05_14PM.thumb.png.a08f0c88457ee18b30d69f829f340fbf.png

2021:

1362925659_ScreenShot2021-11-25at7_05_43PM.thumb.png.45276cf1f7e8ab6319ba4ae1a0d493de.png

• Haha 1

must be  old school dealers - Sun City Motors in Nelson - Basil Jones - was the same - visited that year Sept 2020 - was a bomb site - cars with flat tyres - rough condition etc 😥

The Estima, W210, E39, and E36 don't appear to have moved since 2021 at least based on the pictures on Stuff...

Wasn't it fortuitous that the boat and Bedford van had moved though!

Edited by Neil McCauley

The Commodore and old Galant (in that article) have been there a while, look at the moss etc growing on them.

What about the moss on the pulsar that they moved onto the street lol

inside job??

Its a shame, I went to school next door. They always use to have a few interesting things.... 

I have no knowledge of this other than what is available in the general media.  But the business model being used here at Michael Grant motors just seems too weird to comprehend.  Just letting cars sit for years on end, decaying.  And having 3 Mitsi Evo's just sitting in a shed.  One thing is for sure - we can take Mr Grant's $200k valuation of those 3 vehicles with a grain of salt given what he is trying to sell his other vehicles for!    https://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/300873072/i-thought-they-were-gonna-kill-me-palmerston-north-car-yard-owner-rammed-by-thieves