Sign in to follow this  
Bennyboy

Soggy sadness 😢

I wonder how many cars will be written off as a result of the cyclone. My broker said it would be 10,000+ nationwide……

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/4023486610

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/other/listing/4023487881

Edited by Bennyboy
  • Sad 1

For anyone considering this, be aware it is VERY DIFFICULT to re-register a 'flooded' vehicle in NZ. It's more or less impossible. A car is marked 'flooded' by the insurance when it is written off. You have to replace every electronic component in the car and show them (the inspectors) all the damaged ones, or something along those lines.  A friend attempted this with a very expensive car and ending up giving up, the regs are completely unreasonable and impossible to meet (for reasonable cost).

In my friend's case, the car was imported from Oz somewhat without realizing the 'flooded' label on the car would carry over to NZ. It did and he was unable to register it, despite the fact that it was absolutely roadworthy and drove perfectly.

• Like 1

Presume you take working bits from a flooded car and use them to like, upspec a base model right? Some proper M Cars ruined as cars popping up on TM.

They're really only good for things like body panels, and maybe some interior bits after a thorough cleaning and sanitizing. All electrics will be trash, and anything mechanical would need a strip down to ensure its not full of water/mud/corrosion. 

As said, the majority will never be on the road again, it's far too hard to satisfy the requirements, especially when it comes to newer cars with airbags, in which all of them, and their control units, need to be replaced. 

• Like 1

So filling it with rice is not an option then.

• Haha 3

Lots of potential race car builds coming up, don’t need the interior, electrics and air-bags in those!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Lots of potential race car builds coming up, don’t need the interior, electrics and air-bags in those!

I've heard it called the "mermaids" class on Facebook 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, 330itis said:

No compression or response on the key with a jumper pack on either. Was hoping to get this back as it's my old car. It's still the car my dissplay pic here

At risk of stating the obvious, you need to take the spark plugs out before trying to crank it.  You can't compress water. 🙂

3 minutes ago, 330itis said:

Hence why there is no compression probably. We were barring it over by hand. Tried to get the ignition on to get the diagnostics tool on it. 

'No compression'?  Do you mean it turned freely, as if the valves were stuck open? I'm curious. Thanks.

6 hours ago, 330itis said:

No compression or response on the key with a jumper pack on either. Was hoping to get this back as it's my old car. It's still the car my dissplay pic here

Did this one not yet find its way to TM?

17 hours ago, 330itis said:

will need to drain the oil , engine will be fill of water , so will the gearbox and diff , 

starter motor will be stuffed also , ecu will be fill of water , smg gearbox shifter mech will also be fill of water will need to be replaced cleaned out etc

Huge issue in the US with flooded cars appearing for sale in different states. When I was looking for a E39 M5 came across a Philadelphia car that originated in Florida- and the price was compelling! Lemans Blau and the rare caramel leather. Lovely looking but had some suss looking stains on the the door skins. The PPI confirmed my suspicion- most likely water damaged. 

Yeah was contemplating a cheeky bid but not unexpectedly it's already gone way beyond what I'd have been comfortable paying. Keen to see what it ends up going for. 

Should pool our resources :D Although I suspect everybody wants the same parts off it hah ... would love the rear end, rear fenders, front fenders, bonnet etc

What am I missing here, people bidding $20 grand on a flood damaged (ruin in this case I would say) 3litre diesel X7??

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/x7/listing/4019464564

Nothing about it seems exceptional and the interior is destroyed?

some of these cars will be sent whole upto dubai etc , cleaned fixed and sold on in countrys where they dont car about this sort of damage, 

2 hours ago, Kodachrome said:

What am I missing here, people bidding $20 grand on a flood damaged (ruin in this case I would say) 3litre diesel X7??

Nothing about it seems exceptional and the interior is destroyed?

Yeah, that is a pretty sh*t spec X7 to start with, let alone with the flood damage!!

The last bid looks well dodgy, oh, it’s at $15k, well why don’t I just jump to $20k!

Looks like the Autobid system.

The M3 ended up going for $18,700. Is that... good value for money, considering how submerged it looked to have been?

The B5 went for "just" $7,200".

On 3/14/2023 at 8:57 AM, Vass said:

The M3 ended up going for $18,700. Is that... good value for money, considering how submerged it looked to have been?

The B5 went for "just" $7,200".

Bidding on the M3 was mental.... I looked at the B5 though and it didnt look too bad but I think the water went up the exhaust into the motor. Unless by some miracle there was an air lock

Its crazy though wof and reg cars are only getting bid up to 27-28k on trademe and a dereg non runner gets 19.... just crazy

• Like 2

Yeah it is pretty insane. Could get a perfectly road legal and running M3 for the money just a few years ago. How times have changed...