Bennyboy

M prices tanking….. hard.

Only go to replace the rest of the original worn parts now

This car is still in its depreciation period. Also, these cars do not have the cache of earlier (pre-2003) M cars, being high maintenance and (IMHO) not very good looking.  Also, it's SMG...ugh.

But that's might be just me.

1 hour ago, topnotchrally said:

This car is still in its depreciation period. Also, these cars do not have the cache of earlier (pre-2003) M cars, being high maintenance and (IMHO) not very good looking.  Also, it's SMG...ugh.

But that's might be just me.

Not SMG, it's DCT. They are a blast to drive, even for the manual die hard.

So many M cars on trademe! Never seen so many e46 M3's.

Not a good time to be trying to sell their week-end toys. Where costs are starting to bite quite a few people are looking to cash up the toys.

Unfortunately the flip side of this is that there are very few buyers looking for those toys so the market is very flat.

Anyone that does have a little cash is in a great position to get something nice for a good price.

• Like 2

Thoughts on buying a few things now? 

I wonder how desperate people are to sell if approached with cash and a offer? We have had a few years of hyperinflated prices so it may be a mental hurdle to accept that your "rare classic" is not that appealing in a recession.

I'm guilty. I turned down a good offer last year and now I cant even get someone to come and kick the tires at half the price.

Would think if you have the space, keep the car for 5 years, or if you have the cash, buy now, enjoy and know you got a good deal that will appreciate, albeit a bit slower than they did a couple of years back. If you only make 10k its still more fun than money in the bank. 

Edited by Apex

Some certainly appear better than others but dont see anything for sale that had a real mechanical birthday. To me it always felt like people stop about driving them when they reach 10+ years old and creep up around 100,000km, certainly rare to see anything over 200,000km. I dont know if that's due to perceived value loss, mechanical uncertainty, or both. Any profit would probably vanish if you refreshed it and drove it regularly for 5 years. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

To me it always felt like people stop about driving them when they reach 10+ years old and creep up around 100,000km, certainly rare to see anything over 200,000km.

At that point I think they just end up being worth more to keep. Just ticked over 190km in my M3, if I were to sell it I think the mileage would put most people off despite it likely being mechanically one of the best. Engine fully rebuilt, almost everything in the suspension replaced at least once. I can't imagine selling it any time soon. There is nothing close to as good as an E46 M3 with a carbon airbox in the same price range. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harper said:

At that point I think they just end up being worth more to keep. Just ticked over 190km in my M3, if I were to sell it I think the mileage would put most people off despite it likely being mechanically one of the best. Engine fully rebuilt, almost everything in the suspension replaced at least once. I can't imagine selling it any time soon. There is nothing close to as good as an E46 M3 with a carbon airbox in the same price range. 

Well I'm here to test the market for you as I'm in the same boat. Kiwi's love to buy cars based on ODO... Educated purchasers know to look deeper. How many are out there, not sure....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, m325i said:

I did see that that one hence some better than others comment, but unless he hasn't mentioned or it's just considered general service history it's nothing great imo.

@Harper Yeah exactly and why you rarely see stuff like that for sale.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

I did see that that one hence some better than others comment, but unless he hasn't mentioned or it's just considered general service history it's nothing great imo.

@Harper Yeah exactly and why you rarely see stuff like that for sale.

All new suspension, bushings, engine mounts, g/box mounts, shift linkages, RTABS, diff seals, prescribed inspections, valve adjustment etc etc. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2023 at 6:49 PM, Bennyboy said:

2013 coupe, nz new, bearings done 

i think we’ll see prices dip even further with interest rates set to climb 

good time to buy! 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/4418343637

I see its back due to the buyers finance falling through (bet that'll happen a lot now too).

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/4420632073?bof=legWhr5l

Already has some knob in the comments saying its worth more and to remove the $30k buy now. I dont know why people do that, if the seller is happy with $30k, let them do what they want.

Im sure if someone turned up with 30k in the hand he'd take it. If it was such a deal he should of bought and re-sold it. Tis known the market and slowed along with available funds, so to me its more of a realistic sale price than an artificially inflated covid price.

3 hours ago, KwS said:

I see its back due to the buyers finance falling through (bet that'll happen a lot now too).

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/m3/listing/4420632073?bof=legWhr5l

Already has some knob in the comments saying its worth more and to remove the $30k buy now. I dont know why people do that, if the seller is happy with $30k, let them do what they want.

Because the "knobs" know the market better than the owners and sellers.........😁

6 hours ago, Bandit said:

Because the "knobs" know the market better than the owners and sellers.........😁

Doesnt matter what the market is doing, if the owner is happy to take a certain price 🤷‍♂️ (unless its over priced, but the seller will figure that out in time and also doesnt need someone harping on about it being over priced...)

Edited by KwS

16 minutes ago, m325i said:

An f80 sold on Saturday for full ask, so there are buyers out there.

Two rogers don't make a right.  E46 Manual = Connoisseur