E30stz

Quick Questions

Guest Ari Gold

does anyone know where to buy universal boots for the e30 ball joints? Repco, supercheap etc?

Front arms William?

Definitely control arms and tie rods for spares. The ball joints are absolutely horrible, one side comes out fine, other needs extreme persuasion. Even using an impact wrench wasnt enough of a shock to at least get them a little easier to break.

BNT had universal ones about 6 weeks ago when we fitted lowering springs to a mates e30 managed to damage the boots. Iirc about $7 a piece with bmwccnz discount

Are there any differences in the m60 auto gearboxes between e34, e38 and e39s?

Are there any differences in the m60 auto gearboxes between e34, e38 and e39s?

yes very much so.

you need one from a e32 740i or e34 540i 5HP30

the early e38 740i ones look very similer ,

but the electric plug and electrics inside may be different ,

but maybe you can swap bits around to suit your car??

e39 540i are a sleightly smaller 5HP24 type

Anyone know a reliable + reasonably priced place that can repair small dents out east (Botany, howick, pakuranga, flat bush etc.)? I'm a perfectionist when it comes to aesthetics and would like a relatively small dent (near the back-right wheel area ~0.6cm deep, 5cm wide x 4cm high ish) fixed without messing up the paintwork. Cheers.

p.s. even better if any of the thin scratched off paint areas could get a repaint done on them too.

This is for an e39.

Started the E34 for the first time in a few weeks, took two goes to start then sputtered to life. Was idling OK but when I took it for a spin around the block it was hesitating / shuddering badly when under mid-full throttle. If I feather the throttle it will spin through the rev range with no problems, it's only when I put my foot down that it starts to hesitate and shudder.

What's the issue? Fuel pump on the way out / fuel filter blocked?

Edited by _Mark_

throttle position sensor quite possibly, my 525i Touring did that, replaced it with another one and never stuttered again.

these cars are new enough you can scan them too and it will tell you whats wrong etc

Thanks Andy, will take a look at that...

It's now not starting at all, will crank and then make sort of a clunk sound and stop cranking. The fuel pump is no longer whirring with the ignition on now either.

Combination of issues? If it was just the fuel pump it would continue to crank just not fire right?

It's now not starting at all, will crank and then make sort of a clunk sound and stop cranking. The fuel pump is no longer whirring with the ignition on now either.

Combination of issues? If it was just the fuel pump it would continue to crank just not fire right?

yep, when was last time to changed fuel filter too? could be the fpr as well. fuel pump most likely candidate with these symptoms though you are right i think

Anyone know where I can get a sheet of lexen from in auckland that does a good price?

need it about 700mm x 1500mm and 5mm thick.

also check for moisture in the dizzy cap , or a worn out dirty one

Anyone know where I can get a sheet of lexen from in auckland that does a good price?

need it about 700mm x 1500mm and 5mm thick.

Yep call acryform 4824340 tell em I sent you and lee will look after you.

So the 'T' shifter on the 325 decided to disintegrate completely this afternoon. Have got a pistol style shifter from a '98 but it stands waaaaay too tall for the original shaft. Anyone know how to get around this without taking a hacksaw to it? Were the pistol style shifters a much shorter shaft? Anyone got a spare? :blink:

So the 'T' shifter on the 325 decided to disintegrate completely this afternoon. Have got a pistol style shifter from a '98 but it stands waaaaay too tall for the original shaft. Anyone know how to get around this without taking a hacksaw to it? Were the pistol style shifters a much shorter shaft? Anyone got a spare? :blink:

yes grind and cut or swap out the lever as well , have one if needed

Right indicator is intermittently hyper flashing - it seems to happen in the same place every morning after I drop my lad off at day care - so I'm guessing it's a connectivity issue that's affected when the car is on a certain incline, etc. I've checked front and rear bulbs and they look fine and there doesn't seem to be any visible corrosion, or anything that might affect the connection. Wiring fault? Wiring's not my strong point. What should I look for and where?

any one knows the reasonable price and where to service the air-conditioning? just warm air no cold air coming out, e46 330, thanks a lot

It would help if we knew where you are located

What's a reasonable fuel

Consumption for a e36 1996 318ti?

I filled up $100 ish on unleaded 95, only got about 350kms...

Any ideas what could be causing such usage?

Thanks

What's a reasonable fuel

Consumption for a e36 1996 318ti?

I filled up $100 ish on unleaded 95, only got about 350kms...

Any ideas what could be causing such usage?

Thanks

my mate use to get about 500-550km with his 318ti 1.9L m44 auto driving from manurewa to pukekohe

and since he has converted it to a manual gerabox he gets about 700-750km per tank.

do a proper fill up and measure how many km you get on a full tank.

then fill again and work out how many litres per 100km .

but if you car is not tunned and serviced properly it will use heaps more gas ,

things like

air filter

spark plugs.

bad PCV valve

worn out AFM

running on 91 gas

faulty sensors

vacuum leaks

blocked cats .

exhaust leaks

thermostat jammed open(never heats up or slow to heat up)

short trips and flooring it everywhere

Would E46M3 rims (18x8 Front ET47 18x9 Rear ET26) fit my E36 without guard work?

Cheers guys :)

^ Nope.

They don't even fit non-M3 E46's without major guard work.

Hey guys.. Just bought my very first BMW. Quite excited about that fact haha. Quick question Though.

It's a 1994 325i E36.

The fuel gauge doesn't work. I've checked the fuses and they're all fine. Not sure where to start as I've never worked on one of these before. Is there any fuel sensors that I should be looking for? Or could it be a faulty gauge on the dash?

Hey guys.. Just bought my very first BMW. Quite excited about that fact haha. Quick question Though.

It's a 1994 325i E36.

The fuel gauge doesn't work. I've checked the fuses and they're all fine. Not sure where to start as I've never worked on one of these before. Is there any fuel sensors that I should be looking for? Or could it be a faulty gauge on the dash?

Welcome to site.

Could search the subject as it's been covered a few times on this site.

Remove the RHS fuel sender under the seat - you will find a broken wire in it