E30stz

Quick Questions

1 hour ago, pyzy001 said:

Make: BMW

Model: 530D

Year: 2012

Chassis: f10

Hey guys, a quick question about my bmw maintenance intervals. Recently purchased this bmw 530d travelled 68000kms, Continental bmw recommends 24months/24,000km service interval for $390.00. My local garage however recommends every 10k / one year whichever comes first. Some YouTuber even recommends every 5k/6 months service intervals. The car is driven daily on suburban roads, no heavy handling or drag racing. What should be the best service interval?

Also should I be needing to change the transmission fluid? 

cheers

Joey 

I had this discussion with them, they are adamant the service intervals are fine, but I’m aiming for 12 month intervals with them, at the reduced cost, why not?

Talk to The Gearbox Factory or similar about the trans.

• Like 1

10,000km\1 year is a good compromise for most driving assuming a good quality oil  I dont what your suburban roads are like, but city driving is typically worse for engine wear as you are doing more idling\engine run time, start\stopping, low rpm driving etc. Modern diesels tend to suffer carbon build up issues from people doing this and not enough highway\higher rpm driving to help keep it clean.

80,000-100,000km is a good time to change the transmission fluid. Seems to be what manufacture ZF recommends as well 100,000km\8 years. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy online retailer selling e-repair manuals? Been looking at this but not sure if my credit card gets skimmed using this site? 

https://workshopmanuals.org/request-a-manual.rar

think they're OK.

If in doubt (and if possible/practical) use PayPal to pay.

• Like 1

How the f do I get chewing gum out of my interior carpet? FFS I'm pissed at having to waste time and money on doing this.

Grandma's tips and tricks for the busy housewife book says freeze the chewing gum with a block of ice. It will harden and can be broken up and removed. I think that's the same tip she gave my wife when she asked about getting semen out of her hair.:grin-min:

• Haha 5

Ice worked followed by a hot soapy carpet cleaner session to get the remaining goo out. Cheers.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Twistee said:

How the f do I get chewing gum out of my interior carpet? FFS I'm pissed at having to waste time and money on doing this.

Oil of Eucalyptus

11 hours ago, Twistee said:

Ice worked followed by a hot soapy carpet cleaner session to get the remaining goo out. Cheers.

Nice work. I gotta remember this the next time I fail to properly tiptoe around gum traps outside my car in a parking lot. 

What is everyone's feeling towards remanufacured turbos? Yeah or nah? There is a crowd in Chch 'TurboCare'. Does anyone have experience with them? 

16 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

What is everyone's feeling towards remanufacured turbos? Yeah or nah? There is a crowd in Chch 'TurboCare'. Does anyone have experience with them? 

Have used them to buy new stuff from, and they've been around forever so must do something good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C-130 Hercules said:

To some extent, it will depend on what you are looking for.
There's a world of difference between a remanufactured (or new) turbo for a stock application, and the technology involved in developing something for a much higher performance purpose.

(I have a new Turbo Technics unit that I'd sell... 😉 )

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gjm said:

To some extent, it will depend on what you are looking for.
There's a world of difference between a remanufactured (or new) turbo for a stock application, and the technology involved in developing something for a much higher performance purpose.

(I have a new Turbo Technics unit that I'd sell... 😉 )

I am just replacing my current stock unit. It is getting on (245k km). 

• Like 1

I want to replace my VVT motor actuator.

But checking on the DIY there is this thing called BMW Three bond sealant to be place on every half moon shape on part of my n46 engine before putting back the valve cover.

Is there an alternative for that sealant?  Thank you.
https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx3xath8-lk1vlYVEa42xK-iFRcwQJHIa4

13 minutes ago, Toksis said:

But checking on the DIY there is this thing called BMW Three bond sealant to be place on every half moon shape on part of my n46 engine before putting back the valve cover.

Don't think there's anything special about that sealant in particular. Any sort of automotive RTV should be fine, usually grey is the best stuff to use, like this one or any other brand equivalent:

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/permatex-permatex-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-rigid-high-torque---ultra-grey-99g/5359.html#q=Grey%2Brtv&lang=en_NZ&start=2

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Toksis said:

https://www.repco.co.nz/car-care-panel/adhesives-sealants/gasket-cements/threebond-high-temperature-rtv-silicone-liquid-gasket-250gm-grey-1215-250/p/A1130561

Ultra grey id say would be the Prematex equivalent  

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 4:18 PM, Toksis said:

I could nit move my chain. So it means that this is still good? 

First of all - I'm not a mechanic, but it looks good to me!  

• Like 1

Long shot, but by any chance does anyone have the dimensions for the O-Ring that goes inside the oil filter housing end of the the top radiator hose on a 335i (N54) ?? It's the one that swells up and pops out when you disconnect the hose. By rough measurement it will be something like 46 x 38. Better still, if anyone around Wellington has one surplus I would be happy to buy it :)

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
Guessed size wrong... fixed it now

Edit: This was meant to be in 'Quick Rant' rather than 'Quick Questions' - my bad! 🙄

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Model: 120i (really 118i)

Year: 2011

Chassis: f20

Hi guys, just failed my WOF. Was looking for the "Left rear bump stop" in RealOEM but am unable to figure out what exactly the WOF report is saying. Any ideas?

20230812_143213.jpg

1 hour ago, Liiiam said:

Model: 120i (really 118i)

Year: 2011

Chassis: f20

Hi guys, just failed my WOF. Was looking for the "Left rear bump stop" in RealOEM but am unable to figure out what exactly the WOF report is saying. Any ideas?

20230812_143213.jpg

That's part of your dampener / shock. 

48 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

That's part of your dampener / shock. 

Hey mate, that would be this flesh light/number 4?

Untitled.png

• Haha 1