Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Straight through a VTNZ WOF with no advisories - what I had hoped, but always disconcerting watch men in overalls prod and poke your car for 30 minutes muttering to each other.

• Like 2

Went and got two new tyres for a wof, discovered all four wheels buckled....$#&@ ... bolted them back on and went straight through a VTNZ wof. Now jacked up and all wheels off to be made round again.

Too much dukes of hazard I think. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Went and got two new tyres for a wof, discovered all four wheels buckled....$#&@ ... bolted them back on and went straight through a VTNZ wof. Now jacked up and all wheels off to be made round again.

VTNZ huh - on Tuesday they commented that they checked my oil level and it was fine - my oil light came on about 30 minutes later 🤣 needed almost a litre (M54 life...)

• Haha 3

Friends don't let friends go to VTNZ.  Find a good independent, develop a trust relationship with them instead.

VTNZ commented on my WoF sheet that the oil was low. The oil was in fact perfect - they didn't know how to read an M54 dipstick. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

shame your tyre shop didn't mention the buckles!  +10 points for Dukes of Hazzard action, though.

It sounds like it was the tyre shop that found they were buckled?

VTNZ wouldn't be geared up for that unless they were really kaput.

Yeah tyre shop found em when went to balance. VTNZ is close... I did look at the tech when he was looking at the 3kg of balancing weights on the wheel though :D 

All four wheels buckled? I wouldn't bother repairing them, they're obviously poorly made. Get new wheels...

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

All four wheels buckled? I wouldn't bother repairing them, they're obviously poorly made. Get new wheels...

Legit ACS wheels arent they?

• Like 1

stop smashing into potholes probably best bet :D 

• Like 1

Its almost unavoidable with 19” wheels and 30 profile tyres on akl roads. 

• Like 1

Really? They're that fragile? Genuine or not, I wouldn't be interested. If they can't live up to NZ roads then they're simply not suitable for NZ roads.

The “better” quality wheels will “bend” or “buckle” and you can get it fixed whereas cheap cast wheels will crack and harder to repair. (Generally)

Combine the factory bmw 19s with runflat tyres (hard sidewall) that come on some 3 series and youre guaranteed for your wheels to crack if you go over a pothole at speed. 

but the runflat rims are stronger and heavier - made for that extra demand RFTs place on them.  

AC Schnitzer wheels made by Ronal were well known for being notoriously soft. 

11 hours ago, qube said:

Combine the factory bmw 19s with runflat tyres (hard sidewall) that come on some 3 series and youre guaranteed for your wheels to crack if you go over a pothole at speed. 

FWIW My experience is very different to that, I have whacked a few pot holes on the poor roads we have to put up with. Worst one was circa 100kph on the Napier-Taupo road into a big hole in the dark. Hell of a bang, I was surprised the shock hadn’t punched through the top of the strut mount. Still drove fine, no loss of pressure.

Wheel was buckled, but repairable, on the inside due to the big off-set. No cracks or splits. Tyre was toast.

Wife has a three line whip on for house Reno’s at the moment, so garage has been taken over with paint tins and stuff.

However, I did manage to clear all the stuff away from the race car and start to pull out the rear sub-frame for swapping in the 5-stud Ti rear end.

Also ordered 5-Stud adaptors for the front end from the US.

Fingers crossed I can get away with finishing it off.

• Like 1

^^^ this post needs PICTURES!!! 😀

What is curious is ive done 160,000km on these wheels and never bent them before, only real difference this time around is RE003s Vs F1 Assy 3s... coincidence or stiffer sidewalls?

Put the back seat of the E39 back together in a freezing garage.🥶

On 6/4/2021 at 11:03 AM, Olaf said:

^^^ this post needs PICTURES!!! 😀

I guess you don’t mean of the house rennos? 🥺

Dropping the rear end on an E30 is pretty simple, most people have probably seen / done it..

ADD86D55-C217-422D-B9BD-165AF7BF548F.jpeg

Came out pretty easily and stripped down, the usual one stuck bolt was absent today which was nice. Now to push out the Delrin bushes and swap into the new beam.!

1707D045-682B-44D0-959E-DA5ACFCB6A8E.jpeg

• Like 1

Put a Apple CarPlay Multi MMI box in, improves the NBT and brings the tech up to pretty much current or close enough.

easy enough, hardest part is find enough space in the dash for the looms and box, that’s a total PITA.

16 minutes ago, Breaker said:

Put a Apple CarPlay Multi MMI box in, improves the NBT and brings the tech up to pretty much current or close enough.

easy enough, hardest part is find enough space in the dash for the looms and box, that’s a total PITA.

Sounds interesting. Got any more details?

17 minutes ago, freaknout said:

Sounds interesting. Got any more details?

there’s a few you tube videos on it, have had it in i3 for about 6 months, works great. Just connects perfectly between the display and head unit. Have to play through Aux though, but the F01 has great sound so no issues, little noticeable in the i3 but perfectly fine.

Once in you can jump back to OEM anytime. Search NBT CarPlay on trade embargo, about $500 for the kit and module 

• Like 2