Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Thanks mate I just ordered one. If it doesn't work I can give it to one of the e36 guys that don't run Ps. Thanks though.

Yeah those are the ones I was looking at. How well do they work

I don't have much to compare it to, but steering feels about right, very similar to the factory-manual-rack equipped e30 i have driven. Fits nicely. Would be heavier on a faster rack though, obviously. Service from Condor Speed Shop has been spectacular.

Edited by duvey

Yeah they were awesome to deal with.

I got the linkage sorted with cap bolts and lock tight and spring washers. It ain't coming apart. The hardest job was getting the damn donut out, what a stupid design!

post-1246-0-06672900-1427941002_thumb.jp

post-1246-0-55717000-1427941117_thumb.jp

Yeah, i hate e30 steering columns so much. Every time I have to screw with it it takes me 3x longer than it should. Just earlier this week I had the whole lower part disconnect sooner than I was expecting while I was unbolting it from underneath and it coned me directly in the forehead/eye. Still nursing a black eye...

• Like 1

Had a play with the different tie rod inners and outers and decided that mine weren't worth reusing. The outers were ok but the inners had heaps of play on the knuckle. Sourced new ones from Gavin at Euro Italian. Also worked out you need to use the e46 rack boots and ditch that black donut on the e30 inner tie rod. There is a notch under it for the boot to slip over. Just cut that black thing off carefully.

Is there anything you need to do to the rack while its out?

post-1246-0-33900900-1427946058_thumb.jp

Yeah I ended up cleaning the shitty old grease off and putting new grease in. I have the racks already cheers

Right got it all in and working. The only thing I noticed is that the boots seem to be sucking in really tight when they are fully stretched out ie full lock one way, and when they shut they build up pressure to the point they start to hiss air. What have I don't wrong. It makes the steering noticeably tighter when they start to pressurise. Note there are no power steering lines hooked up and have tried with banjo bolts in and out, makes no difference. Thoughts.

First attempt at some kind of hyper-miling in the e36 while away on an easter trip.

Full tank of BP 98, on Thursday night.

Refilled again today with 54.74L, which got me 690kms exactly.

Comes to a real world fuel usage of 7.93 L/100km.

Very impressed indeed, for a 2.8L sports car made in the 90s that I bought for $5000.

wnh5sgy4.jua.jpg

lxkgl0yx.1sx.jpgpwwrz2xa.d3s.jpg

According to the OBC. Not too much variation.

Edited by duvey
  • Like 2

Full grooming engine interior exterior. Looks like it came out of the production line.... photos to follow

• Like 2

First attempt at some kind of hyper-miling in the e36 while away on an easter trip.

Full tank of BP 98, on Thursday night.

Refilled again today with 54.74L, which got me 690kms exactly.

Comes to a real world fuel usage of 7.93 L/100km.

Very impressed indeed, for a 2.8L sports car made in the 90s that I bought for $5000.

wnh5sgy4.jua.jpg

lxkgl0yx.1sx.jpgpwwrz2xa.d3s.jpg

According to the OBC. Not too much variation.

My old 328i was great on the open road, whether I fanged it or not, trips from Aucks to Wgtn were awesome for the money. But around Auckland, mmm it wasn't a Corolla that's for sure, but the balance was more than worth it. On the highway I reckon it was sucking juice similar to my old Primera, which is to say very good, it's just around town she was a bit sucky.

• Like 1

Not exactly a BMW. Helped a mate out remove a snapped bolt in one of the heads of his GC8 WRX v3. I love my mill ... makes doing this sort of stuff effortless.

post-373-0-58103900-1428466508_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-68354300-1428466509_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-79755900-1428466510_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-77632500-1428466511_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Drove e46 to pub, check light for headlight out, works fine. Drive home, now has that and an abs fault. Ugghhhhh!! Why doesn't this car ever work right!!!

• Like 1

Drove e46 to pub, check light for headlight out, works fine. Drive home, now has that and an abs fault. Ugghhhhh!! Why doesn't this car ever work right!!!

Time to sell it and buy me out of the e30, ill cut you a sweet deal!

Time to sell it and buy me out of the e30, ill cut you a sweet deal!

If only she'd let me!

michael could be tempted on a working E30???

---

fitted splitter below iS lip today, looks great

Powder coated the x brace for the e36, went with red, because i can.

post-17842-0-70340400-1428727000_thumb.j

• Like 2

Powder coated the x brace for the e36, went with red, because i can.

And yet... you didn't cast one in aluminium!!!

Where's the commitment?

michael could be tempted on a working

He had his chance but went for a wrx instead...

Replaced low beams, sorted that light, and abs fault gone. Better take a look for anything obvious before I take to for a scan to see what one it is

Put a set of fortune auto 500 coilovers in the 540i last weekend and new thrust arms, went meyle HD. (proper franklin balljoint splitter made this a breeze)

This weekend was new hawk HPS brake pads in the 540i and new OEM ATE and Jurid pads in the 318i.

Just placed an order with ECStuning for all new lemfoerder bits, front straight control arm, front swaybar links, rear both control arms, rear balljoints, rear swaybar links.

E39 will be riding on all new suspension shortly.

• Like 1

Replacing all the stereo capacitors.

22007_10206549429879653_3156319112220231

Done half of the receiver unit. Then it will be time to do the pre amp, then the amp, then the sub amp.

Fun!

• Like 2

Doesn't look as fast

I know ... took me a bit to get use to it ... might have to get a ton of Dapper & M stickers in there :P